Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Guinea pig cage?

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by WelshYorkieLover, Jan 24, 2012.

1. WelshYorkieLover

WelshYorkieLover PetForums VIP

Is a normal large guinea pig cage suitable for a hamster? Or is the bar spacing too wide?

Also is a Jenny cage suitable for mice?

Thanks guys!

2. Silence

Silence PetForums Newbie

A guinea pig cage is not suited for a hamster. The hamster can easily get through the bars. You can keep hamsters in cages made especially for hamsters or glass tanks with a ventilated lit.

3. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

Guinea pig cages are fine IF you mesh the lids/bars like a zoozone 2 mesh the top wires and it makes a prefect hammy cage

and yes a jenny is fine for mice, it has small bar spcaing you would have to make sure you use lots of hammocks etc to stop all big falls as it would fatal i imagine a mouse falling from the top or cause alot of injuries. They are big cages

4. WelshYorkieLover

Thanks. Hamster cages are too small. Well the ones I've seen anyway. He's in a large glass tank atm but its a bitch to clean and I want a cage that's as big but easy to clean and the only ones that big is for guinea pigs. I'm looking for a cheap zoozone 2 but can't find one.

5. WelshYorkieLover

Brilliant! Thanks lostgirl. Where is the best place to get mesh from?

6. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

B&q sell it, prob most DIY or gardening shops :)

7. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

Hagen Zoozone 2 Large Indoor Rabbit Home :eek:

8. Louiseandfriends

Louiseandfriends PetForums Senior

9. Colette

Colette PetForums VIP

A word of warning or two about the Imac Fantasy - I have used one for mice, it looks nice and it was great for them but my god its a sod to clean!

Because mice pee everywhere I had to wash the whole thing every week - taking every little piece apart, washing it, drying it, and putting it back together. Took me about an hour each time. If you think cleaning a tank is bad then you might want to avoid this one!

I would also be concerned about the size of the tubes - I don't think they'd be big enough for a syrian. Wouldn't risk it myself.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the Fantasy (still have it somewhere) especially as it was so easy to extend but you won't see me using one again!

10. Lavenderb

Lavenderb PetForums VIP

Gill (TDM) is a pro at meshing up cages. I'll send her this way ;)

11. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Meshing is dead easy, do it one panel at a time, cut the mesh to fit the panel and attach with cable ties. I hate small cages so Ive always made my mice cages out of meshed rat, rabbit or guinea pig cages. Make sure you get the smallest mesh you can find, some smaller mice can get through a 1cm mesh.

12. WelshYorkieLover

Thank you very much! I'm finding it hard to picture how you'd do it tbh!

13. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Ive got to go out all day today, but I'll have a look when I get home and see if I can find any pics, if you tell me what cage youre thinking of trying to mesh I can have a look and let you know how difficult it would be.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice