Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Guinea pig bonding!

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Louiseandfriends, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Louiseandfriends

Louiseandfriends PetForums Senior

Now that Billy is infertile, I'm starting to bond him with Poppy. :)

They make a lot of noises and I found out their meanings using this site: Guinea Pig Sounds
    It seems like they do a mixture of rumbling, chuting and teeth chattering? :confused: I don't really know what this means... I have them to together for about an hour at a time, then they go into separate pens next to each other. Should I just continue this until they settle down more?

2. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

Just curious, but how do you know that Billy is infertile?

3. Louiseandfriends

Well, we've waited 4 weeks after his neutering which was what the recuse centre told me to do...

4. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

Well that makes sense :lol:
    I thought you meant he was entire but infertile :eek:

5. Louiseandfriends

I have them on the sofa now, both very calm. :)
    Poppy and black and white and Billy is grey. (Yes, I am aware that Billy in particular is overweight. He was already like that when I got him and he's on a diet.) A picture is always nice. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But when they are moving around in the play pen, they don't get on as well. :confused:

6. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

What are they doing in the pen? How big is it?

7. Lil Miss

Lil Miss PetForums VIP

i dont mean to alarm you but it takes 4 - 6 weeks for sperm to die, so if its only 4 weeks post op, he could still have some swimmers

bonding is best done all in one go, everytime you seperate them you are ruining what ever bond they have started to form

8. Louiseandfriends

I don't know the dimensions, but it's a reasonable size I think. It's a lazy bones one.

9. Louiseandfriends

Well... I wish they told me that... O.O

They are next to each other when they are separated in the day. So if they do fight a little should I still keep them together?

10. Colette

Colette PetForums VIP

A certain amount of squabbling is normal until they get themselves sorted - I would leave them together unless blood is drawn.

Make sure they have plenty of space, and preferably don't have to compete for anything - so multiple hideys, scattered hay and veggies (rather than on a plate), even two water bottles if you feel its necessary.

11. swatton42

swatton42 PetForums Senior

Just want to second what others have said about not splitting them up. Each time you split them up and put them back together it's like meeting a new piggy again.

It may take much longer than an hour for them to decide on dominance. The rumbling, chattering etc is all part of that. It might go on for ages and then suddenly stop, they might be fine for ages and then will start to challenge.

When I'm bonding I use the bath with a sheet down so they're not on the cold plasticky bit, with a bit of food down in the middle. There will be abit of bum sniffing, chattering, rumbling, yawning etc... but that's normal. If it's continual and their hair's on end watch them closely. If they 'lunge to attack' once or twice I would stay and watch them, if they draw blood or are going for each other multiple times I would split them off and probably admit defeat. If things appear to be going well then I would completely disinfect their hutch or pen and keep it minimal. In my experience using multiple hides doesn't work as mine have claimed a hide as their territory and all hell broke loose in the morning. If they only have 1 bedroom then they should cuddle up to keep warm and help the bond along.

I know it sounds mean but if they don't seem to be aggressive towards each other but aren't cuddly with each other so you're not sure about the bond. Bathing or a short trip together in a carry case in the car will help to make or break a bond. I would use this as a last resort if you really aren't sure though.

If it's male and female you should have a pretty good chance of bonding them to be honest, unless one of them is particularly aggressive and dominant.

12. Lisaj

Lisaj PetForums Member

What you describe sounds normal. Rumblestrutting could also be the fella telling the lady he's so sexy.

Unless they fight and blood is drawn you need to commit to the bonding and bond them and not seperate them at all - they need to stay together no matter what.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice