UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted some advice on something I have noticed in my piggy.

Well, I have one piggy that I took in because the previous owners were a family that buys pets like clothes and then decides that they don't want them once they actually have to care for them. Anyway, I believe my piggy, her name is Lola, was not cared for in the home, because when I first got her, her cage was stained with poop, she ate food like she had never seen it before and she was absolutely petrified if anyone touched her (I know that last thing is sort of normal in a way, but sometimes she still freaks out when I touch her gently)

So on to what I want to ask about. As I have stated, Lola is a bit quirky because of her previous "home". She is very happy and content now, though, sometimes when I am feeding her, she starts to chatter her teeth as if she is upset. When she does it, I am not doing anything out of the ordinary and my other pig never does it. She also does not act afraid or aggressive other than the chattering.

So my question, is this something I should be concerned about? Why is she doing it? And Is there anything I can do to to fix the situation?

G

·
Here is a link to piggie noises and their Interpretations.

Guinea Pig Sounds

I would surmise she is agitated about you being near her food, the fact you've just put it in there is mute to her it's hers!

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
Yes she might be quite defensive about her territory. But piggies are very chatty animals.

One thing that might calm her down is if you get her a friend...it will stop her being so scared, be warmth in these winter months but above all they are sociable animals and do need company. It won't cost you anymore to keep really and means you should have more content animals.

Well done on the rescue though...sounds like she is a very lucky piggy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I do have another piggy, but he is a small boy that is much younger than her so I don't think they could ever be housed together even if I were to get him fixed. Were I am currently living I can only have two animals, so I can't get an more. Thank you for the advice, maybe in the future, I can adopt some pigs and let them live together...

G

·
Well, I do have another piggy, but he is a small boy that is much younger than her so I don't think they could ever be housed together even if I were to get him fixed. Were I am currently living I can only have two animals, so I can't get an more. Thank you for the advice, maybe in the future, I can adopt some pigs and let them live together...
If your boy is neutered there is no reason why they can't be bonded together, age doesn't matter ;)

·
Registered
135 Posts
If Lola has been kept short of food previously she may be worried she is going to lose what you are giving her. Give her lots of attention (she will not like it initially) and handle her regularly. As she gets more used to being stroked and handled you could try grooming her gently. Treats work wonders too! I would definitely try and bond the two pigs. Take it slowly letting them get used to each other by putting the cages near to each other. Perhaps letting them have some exercise time together as long as you are there to keep an eye on them. I have had lots of rescue pigs and never had any trouble pairing them up.:)

·
Registered
5,786 Posts
I would agree that she should change over time. Handle her daily and use treats to reward her. all veg etc hand feed it to her. Get your boy neutered and you will have 2 very happy piggies

·
Love my furry, feathered and finned family
2,882 Posts
Poor little Lola, it's good that she's got a caring person like you to look after her now.

My two piggies were different ages and we had no problems with introducing and bonding. Toffee originally lived with a rabbit (yes I know now that was wrong, but they'd shared a hutch in the pet shop and were sold together, and I didn't know better then.) Anyway, the bunny sadly died after a year and a half, and Toffee was distraught and became very withdrawn. So we got a baby guinea pig to keep her company, and they hit it off straight away. Toffee used to boss Treacle around a bit, but they were definitely both happy piggies!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.