Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Guilty! What do you think?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by shibby, Mar 30, 2011.

1. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

Did anyone see this youtube video?

YouTube - Guilty!

There's been a lot of outcry about it on Facebook. Just wondering what your opinions were?

(I did a search but didn't find anything on here)

2. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

I'm not totally sure but there's something that I just don't like about it.

3. BenMac

BenMac PetForums Senior

It's dragged out too long for my comfort...I don't get any pleasure from seeing the poor dog "squirm" :(

We've all had those sort of incidents with our dogs and you usually just say something like "who done that?", roll your eyes and forget about it. It made me feel uncomfortable.

4. beary_clairey

beary_clairey PetForums VIP

I think it was posted to made to look like Denver was smilling but I think he was more pushed into a corner and was reacting to being boxed in.

I didn't like the video just made me feel a bit uncomfortable!

5. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

Yeah, with the first dog he doesn't look as uncomfortable but the second dog who gets sent to his kennel (Denver?), I think it makes for uncomfortable viewing. Someone else mentioned on Facebook that it looking 'stage-managed', for the benefit of the camera.

6. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

I'm not too keen on it either. Britches does that smile when we come in or if she has a new toy. Not under those circumstances though - I think that guy is dragging it out too long.

7. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

Right hind is being moved/manipulated while the owner talks-to make him squirm? I wouldn't say cruelty, tho. I talk to my dogs loads, up close, I 'make' them have cuddles (try and stop them!), I don't think they object. I'm not sure it's cruel in any way what he's doing?

8. OllieBob

OllieBob PetForums Senior

The poor dog is giving all the signals of submission including the 'smile' and the guy just goes on and on. OTT in my mind.

9. Rottiefan

Rottiefan PetForums VIP

Isn't this is a preplanned thing? :confused: The way some people are reacting, it sounds like you think it's off the cuff. The yellow lab was smiling- many dogs do this- but I didn't see any signs of discomfort. It just looked like a trained routine to me.

10. MissBexi

MissBexi PetForums VIP

God I found that uncomfortable to watch. I use to know a springer who use to smile like that over things like his bowl.. But that dog sitting in the corner like that with the tail wagging, I don't know.. It just looked really uncomfortable... I noticed a comment saying all these wonderful feelings they got from watching the video.. I don't see it :(

11. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

it wasnt smiling, it was worried to death and looked very uncomfortable about it all. The other dog looked unhappy but didnt react the same way. Dogs do NOT show guilt, they show a response to the vibes they feel from their owner.

12. lilacbabe

lilacbabe PetForums Member

Aw come on the dog was in no way being treated badly , listen to the owners voice does not sound angry or is not shouting. The dog is probably a bit of a theif and he is telling his owner he is sorry , My dog does it without even saying anything to her if she knows she has done something wrong I find it quite sweet:)and just a part of some dogs character.

What do you think of this clip then

?YouTube - Which is the Guilty Dog

13. Jonesey

Jonesey PetForums VIP

There's no way that wasn't planned. Just look at the bag placement on the carpet, and no dog would be able to bite through it and leave two clean pieces in one go. Looks like a jerk that put it up and he obviously has his dogs trained to his tone of voice.

14. Jonesey

Jonesey PetForums VIP

That's cute, but it means nothing. A couple I know had two teacup terriers and whenever they came home after being out a few hours if there was a mess they'd say pretty much the same thing and one of the dogs would have the guilty look and appear to be the culprit. Then they lost one of their dogs. What happened next was that when they left the other for a short while and came back there was a mess again. When they said 'Who did this?' their dog didn't react at all except to look for it's former partner. Who had been taking all the blame.

15. BenMac

BenMac PetForums Senior

You don't have to sound angry or be shouting to convey menace. There's lots of different factors to be taken into consideration. The fact that we don't actually see the man is one. He may well have been brandishing a big stick at the dog or looking very angry whilst talking "sweetly".

I'm not saying that this is definitely the case here....just that it is possible. I know that my dogs can guage mood by looking at the expression on your face before you've actually said anything. And no...I don't have the wee beggars terrified by glaring at them :D

16. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

That isn't smiling it's an incredibly stressed out dog giving off severe calming signals and those owners think it's cute :mad:. Buster "smiles" when he's very excited like when I come home but it's not like that

17. Rottiefan

Rottiefan PetForums VIP

And where did I say that dogs CAN show guilt? :confused:

To me, that dog is smiling. He is giving a low wagging tail, soft eye contact and turning away. Sure, these are all calming signals, but calming signals do not immediately mean nervousness. On a scale of arousal, they can show the signs of stress that indicate excitement and 'happiness', for want of a better term. You can also see most of the teeth in the smile, which distinguishes it from a snarl.

What's more, the dog had an easy escape route and when the owner backed away, the dog still didn't move until given the command.

IMO, people are over-reacting to something that, on the surface may look bad, but in the context, looks more like a pre-planned routine.

18. lilacbabe

Exactly :) My dog smiles if told of or when she greets me or visitors she has not seen for a while she and also bursts in to singing mode ( howling ) when she is excited going to the beach in the car or if we ask her to . She will also say please if asked to and also if she wants something and we are ignoring her :D

These clips dont show that any of the dogs have been terrorised or miss treated its just their way of showing they know they have done wrong .

Now a dog thet cowers and runs in to a corner to hide ,ears back tail down when told off thats not nice to see.

These dogs have just got cute personalities and show it more than some dogs do

19. Rottiefan

Rottiefan PetForums VIP

I do have to disagree with the idea that 'dogs know they have done wrong'. Dogs don't know they have done something wrong, in the sense that we do. They just realise they are receiving positive punishment and are uncomfortable. Whilst I think it's okay for your dog to 'smile' when you are coming home, when giving your dog a 'telling off', the smile is a definitely a sign of discomfort. I would never tell dogs off, full stop, as it is not needed. :nono:

20. lilacbabe

So you never tell your dogs off :confused:

Must be really well behaved dogs then that have never done even a little bad thing , unusual ? but lucky

So what do you do if for example your dog growled /snapped at someone or made a mess by ripping up rubbbish even when it was a pup or the usual doggy stuff that dogs can do ?and dont tell me they never have done anything like that because if they havent then I am amazed.:shocked: Do you never tell them NO ! ?as that is telling them of to a certain degree but then you dont think that no is a good word to use on a dog anyway.

I love my dogs to bits and would not change them for the world even with the naughty things they do as that gives them their personality but if they do anything really bad they do get told off and they do know that they have been naughty and if they feel "uncomfortable" then so they should .
    There is nothing wrong with telling off, Mother dogs do it to their pups when they are young to teach them to behave by nipping them or growling at them so a bit of a telling of from their owner by talking to them in a certain tone of voice is not wrong and sometimes is needed.:)
    I do although disagree with beating a dog with my hand or with a stick etc as that is wrong:nono:

#20 lilacbabe, Mar 31, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice