Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Guest.

Discussion in 'Forum Help and Suggestions' started by Zaros, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

One by one, the guests arrive
    The guests are coming through
    The open-hearted many
    The broken-hearted few.

Could someone be kind enough to take the time and explain to me the concept of 'Guest'

For some reason Pet forums appears to have guests that don't really seem to have the true privilege of invitation?
    Isn't it a bit pointless receiving an invitation to a celebratory event if, upon arrival, you're denied entrance into the venue.:Wacky

FeelTheBern and Lurcherlad like this.
  2. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Submissive Servant to My Lord and Lady Mutts
    Staff Member

Guests (assuming you're not talking about previous members who have asked for their accounts to be deleted) are lurkers, those who are checking out the forum to see if it's the sort of site they wish to join.

If you logged out of your account, but stayed on the site, you'd be counted as a guest, too. ;)

lymorelynn likes this.
  3. Zaros

I'm talking about members who no longer wish to be a part of the PF community. Their avatar displays the title of 'Guest' which is a bit misleading.:Wacky

FeelTheBern likes this.
  4. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

I agree it's not the most accurate description of their forum status, or indeed noon-status but as we can't delete all their contributions to the forum some sort of title is needed. What would you suggest ?

LinznMilly likes this.
  5. CuddleMonster

CuddleMonster PetForums VIP

I see your point. Departed? Sounds like they've died. Absent? Implies they've gone on holiday and are coming back. Or are very forgetful. Inactive? But they might have left PF to concentrate on running marathons.

Since 'used to be a member but have deactivated their account for personal reasons' is a bit too long to fit on the profile, I guess it will have to stay as 'guest' :)

6. Zaros

Well I had thought about 'Visitor' but then again museums and art galleries have visitors and those visitors are allowed into the premises. They don't peer in through the windows to view and discuss the exhibitions.
    Visitor might also imply a mysterious area 53 type of character with big googly eyes, three elongated fingers on either hand, and two toed feet which protrude directly from the but-tocks.
    Ooh! That's a bit like ET:Wideyed

But then I thought that might alienate them even more.

I'm toying with the idea of 'Transient' at the moment.

What do you think?:D

FeelTheBern and SusieRainbow like this.
  7. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Guest implies somebody looking to join and possibly participate.

If a member leaves (they often make it obvious ;)) maybe Ex-Member would be appropriate?

FeelTheBern and Calvine like this.
  8. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

I feel transient suggests someone who drifts in and out, which in some cases is true but in others a more permanent state.

lymorelynn likes this.
  9. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

I've said it before and this reinforces my opinion: @Lurcherlad always hits the nail on the head!!

10. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I just think that it makes sense for a prospective new member to lurk for a while to suss out the forum and if it is something they wish to join, or even a one off visit for some info.

Not sure Guests should be able to look at Member Profiles though.

However, it does seem odd that someone who used to be a member would want to continue to hang around the forum.

We know some do and I wonder why?

We’ve had a few mischief makers in the past and bogus new members that were “ex” etc.

Calvine likes this.
  11. FeelTheBern

FeelTheBern They don't like it up 'em, sir!

Guests (non-members who browse the forums) can only view your profile if your settings allow them to do so. You can change your privacy settings if you don't want to give non-members the ability to view your profile. I have mine set so all members can view my profile.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  12. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

I think that most Guests are ex members who have asked for their account to be closed.

Having done that, they would really have no reason to be around the forum so obviously wouldn't be posting and wouldn't know they were showing as a Guest.

If you have left the forum, it really doesn't matter.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice