Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Guess the breed

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by TessaWheal95, May 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TessaWheal95

TessaWheal95 Guest

hello.
    New here but so I hope this is okay.
    We got a puppy a few days ago. It was advertised as a bull mastiff x French mastiff....but I honestly don’t believe he is. It’s a very long confusing story, but in the end, we need to know his breed to get the right insurance. We’ll be doing a doggy DNA test but wondering if anyone wanted to have a shot at guessing?

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Why not just call him a cross breed? Sure that was an option on my lurcher's application.

I'd be more worried that he's not well bred (parents health tested, origins, etc.) if there is some doubt tbh

3. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Why are you unsure of his breed? Did you see him interacting with his Mum?
    To be honest at his age you won't be able to tell if he's the breed you thought he was or not, it'll take at least another couple of months before you can really start to guess breeds. He's the right colour for a DDB, but the nose isn't as squashed as you'd expect from those two breeds - which to be honest, health wise, is a good thing.
    For insurance does it really matter? Just put him down as 'large cross breed' and leave it at that. It'll probably be cheaper than a mix of 2 pure breeds, and you aren't even sure what he is anyway. Also the DNA tests you can get or dog breeds should only be seen as a bit of fun, they aren't known for being accurate, so I wouldn't use them as proof of breed.

4. TessaWheal95

TessaWheal95 Guest

The insurance we were looking at we put in cross breed and they wanted to make sure we put the right thing. Like a said really long confusing story to it, but his being monitored by the vets closely and correct authority are dealing with the breeder

5. mrs phas

mrs phas take a chill pill and reeelaaax

Intersted in above, why? do they think he might be pit with that red nose and therefore the 'breeders' breeding nefariously?

However in regards to your OP question

Breeding two different breeds together always, and forever, makes the puppies crossbreeds or mongrels
    no matter whether you call them cockappos, labradoodles, cavapoos rottadors ad infinitum, and however much you paid, a crossbreed/mongrel ( determined by your use of terminology) they will always be, at vets, for insurance et al

btw IF that pup is a cross of those two breeds AND at least 8 weeks old, he looks ( without any comparison for guidance, so just by photographs) quite small. Ive taken in 6 week old mastiff breeds that have looked bigger than him

6. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

OP has requested to have her account deleted so closing this.:confused:
    :Locktopic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice