Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

guarding issues

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by PoisonGirl, May 1, 2011.

1. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Not for me, for a friend.

Her staff cross puppy Bella is getting on great with house training and everything, but she has started getting protective of her food and treats and toys towards their 18mo boxer. She ripped his ear the other day.

Any tips?

They don't want to have to make sure there are no toys around for ever, Buster has got use to being able to have a play when he wants, they want her to be able to share.

Obviously seperating them when feeding and giving treats is a start, but what about with toys, how do we stop this?

I know what advice to give her if she is guarding towards the humans, but Im abut stuck on this part.

2. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Could you maybe get all these people that you are asking for advice for on here at present to join PF themselves? It is probably safer than the sort of chinese whispers that can occur with so much being relayed both ways.

Some of the advice like for the dog you wrote about earlier which has bitten could land you in hot water if it comes from you and the dog were to bite again. Be careful!

3. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

She hasn't got the internet.

With the dog thats bitten I am not giving her advice on how to fix the dog Im giving her some advice on avoiding it while she gets him neutered and gets a behaviourist.

Ive no experience with dogs guarding their stuff from other dogs as mine never did that.

4. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I see...wasn't a dig; was just concerned you'd get into hot water really - giving advice out of the goodness of your heart that should probably come from a behaviourist can sometimes bite you on the bum. People are quick to point a finger when the proverbial hits the fan!!

No experience of your problem either though, sorry.

5. portiaa

portiaa PetForums VIP

I would just advise them to keep treats and toys separate until they get their behaviourist and the dog neutered. Personally with a dog with guarding issues I wouldn't want to risk it for the sake of the other dogs. :)

6. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

No sorry this is for a different dog its a staff cross puppy the one that bit is a 10 month old westie

7. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

There must be someone on here who has experience of dogs guarding treats and toys from their other dog??

8. the flintstones

the flintstones PetForums Member

I have 4 dogs all a year apart in age and I have to be there when toys are about they all play nicely and I keep a very close eye on body language and the vocalisation and step in when I feel its going OTT.
    If your pup is really adamant about toys then I would let her have toys on a one to one basis .

9. casandra

casandra PetForums VIP

"Mine! A Guide to Resource Guarding in Dogs" by Jean Donaldson is a must have for any one who wants to help dogs with resource guarding issues.

It provides a practical step by step guide towards helping dogs with this problem. Be it treats, food, toys, or people there's answers for almost every thing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice