Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

GSD's and a floppy ear!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Broxdown, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Broxdown

Broxdown PetForums Junior

When we got our Kizzy from rescue, at 8 months old (March 2007), she was really undernourished and weighed something like 28kg if I remember rightly. Anyway, one of her ears was floppy, the other stood upright. After a few months and when she'd had her first season, her other ear began to stand up. I was told when I initially researched the subject, that the floppy ear would never come up after 5 months if it had not already done so.

So, as you can see, one big GSD, two BIG ears - was it the nutrition? Has anyone else had a GSD who's 'ears stood up late'?

[​IMG]

And this is when we got her......

[​IMG]

Oh, and this is Kizzy taking over - as they do :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

2. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

I believe the age a GSD's ears beome erect is genetic, some prick very young, others can be alot older, I've seen many 6 & 7 month olds with floppy ears, that end up prick. Lovely dog.

3. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

We had a GSD when I was young(ger) and his ears didnt stand up till he was around 7mnths.
    She looks very comfy on the sofa! :D

4. carol

carol PetForums VIP

firstly hi
    and she's a lovely dog :)
    my friend breeds gsd and she has in the passed have pups with floppy ears when i was there one of the pups she was keeping had it so i asked she said all they do is massage the ear, it gets the ear standing upright.
    and it worked she said some do take longer to stand up than others do

5. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

hi, she is a lovely girl, great pics:)

my mother had a german shephered one of his ears took a long time to stand up the breder even tried to convince my mother to take another pup as his ear was floppy, but he was the one for her and a fiew months late it stood up, it just took its own sweet time doing it he hee

6. Tina

Tina Guest

It all depends on the dog it different for everyone

7. Dont know much about the ear - but pictures are lovely! Especially that one on the sofa!!!:D

8. Jo P

Jo P PetForums VIP

The lay of the ear can have alot to do with teething too - I know with Rotts its advised not to mess about with them as they do come right of their own accord once the dog has settled down in the mouth:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice