Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

GSD with upset stomach

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by hazyreality, Jul 28, 2009.

1. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

For the last 5 days Sabre has had a really poorly tummy, he isnt being sick, just the other end. :(

He is fed on sensitive dog biscuits and natures diet food, so I cant really see it is the food, but he is definately not a dog to pick up stuff off the floor or anything like that. :confused: I wonder if he could have eaten some grass with something bad on it, thats the only thing other than his food that he will eat. (plus chews at night)

So I tried the old failsafe of chicken and rice as soon as I saw that he was bad, didnt help the first day, the second day he was down the field alot so I didnt see how he was, but I chanced chicken and biscuits. Yesterday he was a tiny bit better, and today yet again no better. :(

I am debating about taking him to the vets as it stresses him up so bad, and if we see another dog, its chaos really.

The lady at work has kept, shown and bred dogs for about 40 years so I asked her what to do, she said to not feed him for 24hrs(starting tonight) and she has given me some stuff she uses for hers if they get a bad tum, he has had it tonight, got to have another later, hopefully it will work.

Has anyone else got any other ideas on what I can do with him?

*Heidi*

2. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Personally I would get him checked by your vet 5 days is a long time to have tummy problems.
    Hope he will soon be fine.

3. rona

rona Guest

Is it Pro Kolin that you were given?
    There seems to be a lot of doggy tum bugs around at the moment, my boy had to have an injection and antibiotics to clear his after 4 days, and he has usually got a caste iron gut :(

4. hazyreality

Forgot to add - It seems he is only going to the toilet the usual twice a day now, but it is still runny.
    I think I will see if this stuff helps for tomorrow, and get him checked if not, its just so much stress for him there and he is absolutely fine in himself, he is not lethargic, or anything like that. Last time he went for an ear problem, he was backing away(not growling, showing teeth or anything) and the vet wanted him muzzled, he hates being muzzled, but we let him. Then because he kept fighting against it he wanted to sedate him to look in his ears! Vets with big dogs!!!
    Will see how he is tomorrow I guess, cant do anything about it tonight.

Rona - I dont really know what the stuff is, but I trust her not to give me anything that will hurt him, or make it worse. She also went to her mums today and the next door neighbours dog has got the same symptoms as Sabre. I dunno where he could've picked it up from though, he hasnt been anywhere?

*Heidi*

#4 hazyreality, Jul 28, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  5. rona

rona Guest

See another vet, mine is so much better with a woman vet

6. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I'd take him to the vets. 5 days does seem a bit long to have a funny tummy.

If there is nothing amiss your vet will probably advise chicken and rice :)

7. hazyreality

which he wont mind, he LOVES chicken and rice :p

*Heidi*

8. Cascara

Cascara PetForums Member

When my gsd gets a dodgey tum I starve her for 24 hours and then see. Most are cleared up by that simple measure, but sounds like your dog has caught something, she doesn't need to go anywhere, viruses can be airborne or brought in on shoes. But 5 days is far too long to wait to go to the vets.

For the future I would suggest either finding a new vet she likes or asking the vet to help you with desensitising her. Get yourself a muzzle, we have several because vets don't like huge gsd's when they are being examined, if you get your dog used to the muzzle over short periods they accept them quite happily. Can you visit the vet via the back door? We used to make appointments and just visit for a few seconds, no charge to get our gsd used to the vets, but she was deaf so very anxious about new places. The muzzle helped give her confidence (she didn't bother barking or trying to yelp or bite) and it also made the vet feel far safer and thus calmer. Much pleasanter experience all round.

Hope she is feeling better today :)

9. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

If you didnt starve initially you havent really given it a chance to get better. I would starve for 24 hours then give tiny amounts of rice. If it doesnt clear up within a couple of days on that regime then I would go to the vet. It will get better eventually without starving but you arent really giving it a good chance.

10. hazyreality

He is better today, he was starved last night and this morning, plus given the stuff that I was given for him, he will be on chicken and rice(he has just had it) for the next few days, obviously if he gets worse again, then it was only a short term cure not long term, I figured I had to give the stuff time to work.

I think this is going to be a silly question cos I dont think it is but...Is it possible to catch an upset stomach from him(from any dog for that matter)? If not its a big coincidence that everything I have eaten today, doesnt seem to have stayed there very long. I have made sure I have washed my hands with soap after clearing up after him and used alchohol gel, always do.

*Heidi*

#10 hazyreality, Jul 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  11. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

As long as you're cleaning your hands afterwards you should be fine xx

12. hazyreality

Cheers, I figured it was just a coincidence! it just seemed strange. Maybe just coming out in sympathy for him :blushing:

*Heidi*

13. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Haha you're not the only one with a dodgy tum, will have to see the doctor about mine I think :yikes:

14. hazyreality

hmm, I dont see the doctor if I can help it! I hate the waiting room! My sister aparently had it on Sunday(she doesnt live here) so it must be going around humans as well as dogs at the moment!

*Heidi*

15. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Probably a 24 hour bug for you then :yesnod: I don't think dogs can catch such things though.

16. hazyreality

not even a dog type? there is no way that he wouldve picked something up in the garden, off the floor etc. he turns his nose up at about 90% of dog treats! he occasionally eats grass guess it could be that.
    Hopefully how he is now will last and how I am now wont last!

*Heidi*

17. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I meant I don't think it could pass from human to dog unless he was eating your poo...:eek:ut: :eek:

18. hazyreality

lol, I dont think so!!! :eek: and he had his first anyway :rolleyes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice