Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

GSD puppy info

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Lisa197, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Lisa197

Lisa197 PetForums Newbie

Hi, I'm new here and was just wondering if anyone could give me some information on buying a german shepherd puppy. I am going to view some puppies tommorrow and wondered if the information I have been given sounds alright and as it should be. The puppies parents both have good hip scores so I'm not worried about that. the puppies aren't vaccinated or micro chipped, they don't have elbow grades and the male hasn't been tested for heamophilia, they are K/C registered, in a good family home.
    Also if we decide to go for these dogs how much do vaccinations usually cost?
    Thank You for your help.

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Bumping this up.

3. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

The breeder really should do the first vaccination for you at least!

For my GSD she had her first vaccination at 9 weeks then again at 11 (along with the microchip) all in all it cost us £45 but it varies from vet to vet.

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Not all breeders (including good ones) will provide the first vaccination, as the new owners vets may not use the same ones, which will then mean the puppy having to start the course all over again. I dont agree with the over vaccination of such a young animal.

Personally, id prefer for all health tests to be done, rather than them being vaccinated. Especially when it comes to GSD's.

5. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I agree about the health tests but the vaccinations too are essential. I know some people say that it's a con for money but I would rather be safe than sorry.

To the OP if the health tests haven't been done it's not an absolute guarantee that the father is not well but I would be wary of a breeder who doesn't get them done.

6. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Vaccinations can be done days after purchase, they will only be done mere days before the pup even leavs the breeder. The puppy is at no greater risk if its left for the new owner. The over vaccination of animals can make them extremely ill, and cause AI problems, one of the reasons many breeders dont give the first vaccination.

7. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

In GSD's there are so many problems, I'd be more concerned with all relevant health tests being done on the parents.
    Personally though, if the parents have that nasty sloping back and wobbly hocks, I wouldn't even bother asking about health tests, I'd just walk away. It's a terrible shame what has been done to this breed, they used to be fabulous dogs, now most are deformed and far from 'fit for function' :(

8. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

A bit off topic now but what if a breeder keeps pups until they are 14 weeks?

9. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Well its a different story as the whole course is given. Its only when its the first jabs where it can cause problems, as they puppy will receive 3 vaccinations, and be over vaccinated.

Its like vaccinating, worming and defleaing all at the same time. Its too much for such a young, weak body to cope with.

10. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Ah thanks Nonnie! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice