Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

GSD behaviour change

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Rily, May 27, 2017.

1. Rily

Rily PetForums Newbie

Hello All. I have a 3 year old female German Shepherd named Ruby. She has always love being centre of attention and loved being petted by anyone who showed any interest. When anyone in the street who looked at her, she dragged me towards them looking for attention. Any strangers coming in to the house, she welcomed them by jumping on them and licking them. In the past few weeks she has done a complete U turn. If anyone comes near her to pet her, she shies away like a nervous puppy and will not let anyone pet her. She has never been out of my sight, so no one could have harmed her to make her be like this. The sudden change in behaviour and fear of strangers concerns me. Otherwise she is happy and content at home. Has any one experienced this sudden change. Best wishes.

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

You really need to take her to your Vet and have her thoroughly examined.

Any sudden change in behaviour is a cause for concern and pain can often be a cause.

Rily and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

discomfort, pain, or generally feeling unwell, can cause sudden and sometimes big changes in behaviour, so getting her a through vet check to rule out anything medical going on is usually a good start, so I would take her for a health check before anything else.

Is she spayed or entire? Hormone changes and problems associated with hormones and seasons can often alter behaviour too. If she has had a season in the last couple of months and even up to about 90 days after a season, hormone levels remain raised even after the outward signs of a season have passed, and in these 60/90 days after a season its a prime time for things like phantom pregnancies and uterine infections to occur especially, these can cause changes in behaviour too..

As said first thing if you haven't already would be a through vet check, including orthopaedic exam.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice