Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Grrr

Discussion in 'Dog Boarding' started by DollyGirl08, Aug 24, 2013.

1. DollyGirl08

DollyGirl08 PetForums VIP

This is regarding the same dog I made a thread about a few days back.

The dog was supposed to go home today. Yet after trying all day to get hold of the owners, she is still here, and I have had no reply from them.
    They were supposed to arrive this afternoon but never turned up at the time stated, and I haven't been able to reach them since.

I have another dog booked in for Monday, so I can't keep her here longer. What am I supposed to do? I have been sat in all day, just popping out to walk the dogs, in case they arrive while i'm out. I don't want to have my dinner yet in case they turn up, and my own dogs are waiting to be fed (I didn't want to feed the boarder in case she is sick on the way home).

I hope I never have this scenario happen again, it has been nothing but stress.
    (Would be nice if this could not turn into an argument of any type please)

2. 8tansox

8tansox PetForums VIP

Nothing you can do except wait for them to collect their dog, oh, and put it down to experience - again.

I know someone who home boards dogs in her home, and she has collection/delivery times; if the dogs are not collected at those times, she closes until the following day.... and charges them for the extra night.

Accidents happen though, they might have got stuck in traffic, flights delayed, ferry not arrived/departed on time, someone might be sick and carted off to hospital, there are many reasons why people aren't on time, so personally I think I'd be more worried that they'd not turned up for their dog and cut them some slack, until I knew the reasons. :eek:

3. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear these idiots have messed you around. Have they gone abroad? late flights are a possibility.

4. DollyGirl08

No just to the coast.

I have tried to contact them numerous times now over the last week of her stay, and I have had hardly any replies. Yet she said that her mobile will always be on so to contact her anytime etc.

I will definitely be putting this down to experience and having a look over my times etc, as people will take the mick.

I just find it so inconsiderate, I mean it's nearly 7pm, I want to settle down, have a cuppa and some dinner, and finish sorting my own dogs out.

5. DollyGirl08

What does your friend do if after she 'closes' the owner turns up to collect their dog? Does she still charge the extra? I'd be worried that i'd 'close' and they'd turn up late, and i'd have to give them their dog back?

6. totallypets

totallypets PetForums Senior

Well I guess she won't be coming to stay again :rolleyes: Such a shame that they've mucked you about. You will be much more on the ball in future and learn lots from this experience.

My learning curve involved a dog with severe separation anxiety and couldn't even be left on the other side of a baby gate without becoming distressed - the owners hadn't said anything about it. I was very glad when she went home and I now have a trial afternoon and overnight stay before I'll board any dog for more than 2 nights.

7. DollyGirl08

Both dogs I have had so far have had mild SA, but I kind of expect them to be a little distressed at first as it is a new environment.
    In future I will have a meet up with potential boarders, but the 2 I have had so far have both been emergency boarding so I didn't have time to meet them prior to the boarding.

I wouldn't mind her coming again if she was spayed and the owners were a little more thoughtful next time, but it is partly my fault for not laying down the rules of pick up times etc. Again, lesson learnt.

8. chichi

chichi Banned

Your experience with these people has really been a bit of a nightmare. Hopefully future owners of boarders will be a little less annoying (and a bit more honest)!

I would explain in some form of communication (text/voicemail/whatever) that you cannot feed the dog because of the sickness possibility and that it is unfair on her....which it really is. Perhaps thinking of their dog being hungry will prompt them to communicate with you? Hopefully!

9. DollyGirl08

I don't know whether to text again (no answer when I phone either) and say that after 7.30pm I will 'close' and they will have to pay for her to be here another night and collect in the morning?
    I can't sit here for the next hour waiting, I want to go and have my dinner and not worry about them turning up halfway through, even if that does sound selfish.
    And of course it is unfair to the dog, I don't want to feed mine as she will see and it's not fair for her to see the others eating and not get any.
    They said they'd be home by 3pm so it has been 4 hours, and they just won't reply to any messages left.

10. chichi

chichi Banned

I don't think you sound selfish at all. I would have lost patience with these people by now, if I were you!

11. DollyGirl08

I am trying to be patient, as the lady said above there may be circumstances as to why they are late.
    But i'd appreciate some notice of what is going on so I know when to expect them.
    I do feel it inconsiderate and disrespectful not to let someone know who is providing you with a service.
    I don't feel like there is any 'circumstance' though as it has been difficult to get hold of them all the way through my dealings with them.
    I just don't think it fair to expect you can turn up at gone 7pm at someones house, especially without letting them know.
    If it were me, i'd be on the phone, apologetic and letting the person know where I was etc.

12. rona

rona Still missing my boys

What a nightmare........I hope they haven't gone for a fortnight :eek: ;)

13. DollyGirl08

Lol don't say that! Blimey!

Well funnily enough, after I text again saying I don't usually allow for collections after 7pm so i'd be grateful if they could let me know when they would arrive, she text back!
    They are half hour away....hmm that is how far away their house if from me too. Makes me wonder if they haven't been home a few hours and just thought they'd sit back and enjoy themselves for a while longer :rolleyes:

14. 8tansox

8tansox PetForums VIP

She either goes out on purpose, or doesn't answer the door. They usually 'phone her and leave a message but she certainly doesn't run around after them, they play to her tune.

Only once has she ever had someone refuse to pay the extra night, she put that down to experience and never had that dog back again.

Business IS business after all. They wouldn't turn up late at a shop when it was closed and expect it to open up specifically for them would they? Arrange collection and delivery times and stick to them unless you make a prior alternative arrangement. ;)

15. DollyGirl08

Yes that is true. It seems people will take advantage because you are doing it in your own home.

Well let's just say that this experience has been a lesson learnt for me and I won't go into the next one so blind or naive.

16. EssexWags

EssexWags PetForums Member

Definitely a learning curve.
    Such a game they messed you about. Hope next weeks booking gets better :confused:

17. Owned By A Yellow Lab

Owned By A Yellow Lab PetForums VIP

I used to look after a really nice dog, but the owners simply did not understand that there had to be boundaries. I think you're experiencing what many of us have.

This particular couple used to turn up an hour or more late to drop off their dog. On two occasions, they suddenly reappeared later that evening because they 'had to' give me something for the dog (a toy for instance). Then they always changed the day of collection - sometimes they would change it up to three times!

Once they came back early and called me at almost 11pm to see if they could swing by and pick up their dog!

It got to a point where I had to put really rigid drop off and pick up times in place.

I would recommend having a message on your work mobile that you activate after, say, 7.30pm, stating that you are now SHUT for the day, barring real emergencies.

Personally, I would not book these clients again - even though you say the dog is lovely. I suspect they are the type to routinely take advantage...

18. DollyGirl08

Well, they finally turned up a little before 9pm.
    All I got was a 'sorry we're late'. The kids weren't even in the car so they had obviously been home!
    They turned around and said 'how many times did she poo and wee in the house then?' so they also KNEW that she wasn't very well toilet trained. She has pooped on the floor most days, and has had several peeing accidents too. She even peed everywhere when they were here but they didn't offer to clean it up.
    I told them she is standing for my boys so to keep her away from other dogs for at least another week if not 2 'ah well that's good she's being a tart cuz we want her to have babies' I then went on to explain the dangers of breeding and with her breed (bully type cross, effectively a mongrel) it was maybe not such a good idea.

Anyway, I did what I could. Poor girl.

19. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

My word, they sound like utter inconsiderate morons. As harsh as it sounds, sometimes if you are too nice people do take the piss. My dog sitter is nice but she is no nonsense. She prefers to have the dog for a trial day/night before she agree's to board them; then she can assess the dogs personality, make sure it's toilet trained etc. Strictly no pick ups after 6pm. No entire dogs/bitches. Proof of vaccinations and insurance (if they have it). Must have several emergency contacts. Lay it straight to people as soon as you meet them and hopefully you won't be taken advantage of again.

20. lilythepink

lilythepink PetForums VIP

i would be getting a bit worried that they may not turn up at all.

Its a bit odd that they haven't returned your calls etc and you can't get hold of them.

If my dog was with somebody whilst I was on holiday I would be delighted to be able to just ask how the dog was doing and if I was going to be late would def ring and let you know if there was a problem.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice