Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Grrr..so frustrated :(

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by honeysmummy, Apr 5, 2011.

1. honeysmummy

honeysmummy PetForums VIP

Why is it when you always try to do the right thing..you end up getting screwed....sorry for choice of words but feel so frustrated !!

I will try and keep it quick...but as you know..i always fail to :p

Honey is insured with petplan...had 4 wks free when i first got her and then continued the life cover policy...good job as at christmas she was sick and bad poops.

Eventually after stool samples and tests it was put down to dietary and we changed her food...being a new cat owner then we were very worried so she went to the vets alot..the stool sample being the last thing done..we paid the excess of £75 and the rest of the £220 was paid promptly by petplan :)

When i first picked up Indy and took her straight to vets on way home to get her checked over..the vet surgery was very busy and they forgot to give me the kitten pack they had given me before with Honey..this included activating 4 wks free insurance.

As alot of you know the the next week was a blur of :cryin: :eek: :( :confused:.........then finally:D...because of this i didnt activate the insurance straight away because i didnt have the form and with everything going on intended to do as soon as i could.

Anyway at the end of the that first week of having Indy she had a bit of a bad tummy..put it down to change of food...dealt with that then on the friday she hadnt pooped all day..still nothing on sat..and everytime she was going into litter tray to do one she was crying out...knew she was constipated so called vets and they said as she was little to bring her in which i did...explained about the insurance..knew i would have to pay cons fee...saw the vet..he felt her tummy and could feel the stool stuck gave her some lactulose and said if that didnt work after a couple more doses ..worst case scenario they would give her an enema to relieve her.

Knew i would have to cover cost of this because it had started before i activated insurance..but just wanted her to be ok so wasnt bothered.
    I activated insurance after seeing vet...went home and 1 hr later the poo came :rolleyes:

Now i am getting to it......rang petplan tonight as 4wks insurance is ending on the 8th..asking to take out full life cover policy...asked usual questions ...then the man asked me about her visit to the vets as it had said it on the form....told him just a little constipation..all sorted out now.

When he put me on hold..i knew i was screwed...basically because she had that little bit of constipation which was connected to her change in diet..they classed that as a pre-exisiting illness and tol me they would put a clause in policy which will not cover her for 12 months in the event of her not just getting constipated again but have any problems in connection to her stomach PERIOD !!!!!!

I called the vets and they told me that even if i took a policy with another company..if the company requested her records..they would have to tell them about the constipation.

I feel so bloody upset and frustrated...i do everything i can to be responsible and caring towards my kitties...and maybe i jumped the gun with taking her to vets...but thats just me...and now because of that one little thing ..they will not insure me for 12 mths in relation to any stomach illnessess :(

My only option is to shop around and see if any other company will treat the constipation as one illness and any other stomach problems separate and will insure me.

I have to admit i now feel alot better informed and confident in taking care of my kitties when they have stomach upsets..and know what to do and when to go to vets and when not to. However i also know how up and down kittens can be in their first year and feel so angry that by being so concerned about Indy to begin with has now put me in a position where i may not be able to insure her for any stomach related problems for a year :(:(

Feel quite upset actually.......sods !!!!!

Fingers crossed she will not have any problems...but i am a born worrier !!

#1 honeysmummy, Apr 5, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  2. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Insurance companies :mad::mad: They pounce on the least little thing to get them out of covering you properly :nonod: Hope you can find one that will cover
    Indy.

3. evie71

evie71 PetForums Junior

No wonder you are angry! here you are being responsible and doing all you can for your little kitty, and they just jump on anything they can so they dont have to pay out. It seems very unfair to uninsure you for any stomach problems (sorry your kitten lol) when it was a little constipation that more or less sorted itself anyway grrrrrr :nono:

4. honeysmummy

Thanks Lymorelynn and evie 71 for your replies even though it doesn't
    change anything your posts make me feel better

The gits !!! Lol. Kelly xxx

5. chesca13

chesca13 PetForums Member

Thats what i hate about insurance you have it so if the unthinkable happens you have help but they do all they can to get out of helping you!!:confused: What is the point of it?? :mad2:

That is so stupid that they wont cover any stomach problems because of her having constipation and all your trying to do is the right thing for your kitten to help her and thats how this countrys muppet insurers thank you.

6. honeysmummy

thanks chesca13....muppets !!!...i second that...need to get looking for another company for indy.....hope your crew are ok xx

7. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Try the PDSA waaaaaaaaaaay cheaper than petplan ;)

8. evie71

evie71 PetForums Junior

I didn't know they done insurance, thought it was just for people on a low income :confused: going to have a look ;)

9. shells

shells PetForums VIP

hope you sort something out soon hun x

10. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

That's so frustrating, can understand why you're so angry.

If you really want to stay with Pet Plan (and I'm not sure if you've already taken the issue up with them further and they still won't budge) I think I'd be inclined to kick up a bit of a fuss.

Won't go into the whole story but something similar happened to someone who bought a kitten from me last year; basically the owner got mixed up with dates and when she needed to start a yearly policy after the 4 weeks, the kitten needed some treatment as a result of a minor accident. Firstly they refused to cover it at all... then changed their minds... then refused to cover any possible future (arthritic) problems as a result of the injury. It was only after she complained and pointed out to them that she had another cat insured with them, had been paying the (not inconsiderable!) monthly premiums for quite some time and threatened to cancel both policies that they relented because they simply did not want to lose the business.

Always worth a bit of a grumble to someone other than the customer service bod :)

11. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

PDSA Pet Insurance

12. honeysmummy

Thanks hun....was on the phone for 45mins with them really getting quite annoyed..threatening to take my business else where..they were not interested...may trying ringing again in a minute x

13. honeysmummy

14. honeysmummy

Thanks shells xx

15. honeysmummy

Just spoke to my vets and they are going to ring petplan and try to explain it was a one off problem and she has no underlying illnessess...she is going to call me back :)

16. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Very good of your vet :thumbsup: Hope it gets a result.
    I remember when I was with Petplan they bumped my insurance up so much said I'll go elsewhere - they couldn't have cared less. It was, 'oh, okay' :rolleyes::
    I don't insure Mai Tai because most companies don't cover breeding and it is so expensive if they do. I do use their four weeks free for my kittens though. Does anyone know if any other companies do that?

17. honeysmummy

vet has spoken to petplan...they have now said the exemption will stand for 12 months but if she has anything other stomach conditions in 12 mths and my vets can speak for the fact it has nothing to do with her CONSTIPATION !!!! they will look at paying my claim.....the trouble is any other companies will refer to my vet for records and i will probably be in the same situation...honey is already with them and they payed out swiftly before christmas for her....so have just renewed with the gits :rolleyes:

feel better knowing that any other problems with ther stomach will be covered and my vets will vouch for that

got a bloody headache now :eek:

thanks guys..as always for your advice xx

18. AlbertRoss

AlbertRoss PetForums VIP

This exemplifies the reason I don't like freebie 4 weeks insurance - it always seems to lead to trouble. (The OP isn't alone in this, lots of people get caught this way).

Most small animals will get some sort of stomach upset when they change home - usually because the new owner changes their diet, even slightly. They may have been sick on the journey home, whatever. Most new owners take their animals to their vet for a checkover - and mention the upset tum. Bang. It's on the record. And the insurance companies will try and exclude anything related - no matter how small.

I always advise people that, even if they take the 4 week freebie, they should start their own policy a good 2 weeks before the freebie runs out. Because ANYTHING in that freebie period will count against you on a new policy and the new one won't kick in, for illness, for 2 weeks.

The Pet Plan freebie isn't a 'lifelong' policy. So, even if you change to their lifelong policy they will count anything in the free period as pre-existing and won't cover it in the future. Unfortunately, well meaning breeders give it away because a) they think it's a nice thing to do, b) they think the animal will be covered and c) they'll get a kick back from Pet Plan. In the long run, for many people, only the third point is true.

The simple answer is - don't get the 4 week freebie. Go straight into a lifelong cover and get a discount for buying online. It'll work out better in the long run.

19. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

I fully agree with gskinner. When I had 'issues' with Pet Plan, I wrote a strong letter to the customer service manager and recieved a positive result on 3 seperate issues. However, my sister didn't (Pet Plan again). One of her cats had a 12 month exclusion with regards to conjunctivitis. But, she tried to deal with her queries over the phone; whereas I always find a letter packs far more of a punch and yields better results.

20. merothe

merothe PetForums Senior

I would also recommend calling back if you dont get the answer you want first time. With big call centres it is a bit of luck who you end up talking to and you might just hit lucky with someone if you keep trying :p they are allowed some discretion with your policy so a different person may have a different response

It has definitely worked for me for both my mobile phone and TV tariffs - just try the call centre again and hope you get a better person the second (or third) time round ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice