Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Grrr.....Bottles

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by zany_toon, Jul 16, 2009.

1. zany_toon

zany_toon PetForums VIP

Can anyone make a suggestion as to what I can try next??
    I have a mousey dilemma. My girls have killed three water bottles in a fortnight. They are now four months old, I got home from work two weeks ago and cleaned their cage. Hmm...I thought, after cleaning the bottles out, that one looks almost empty already :confused:. So, I pulled the bottle out and tightened it :idea:. 5 minutes later, empty bottle and wet tank. Turns out the little blighters had eaten a hole in it (it was one of the ones from PAH with a flat back and a yellow duckie)
    So, I go out, buy a new one, same type. This weekend, I got up to a wet tank. They had eaten a hole in the new bottle.
    So, back to PAH. I bought a new ferplast sippy bottle. Two minutes in the tank and Fidget and Nibbler had the lid off :mad:! The bottle has had no lid since Tuesday (I only got it on Saturday) 'cos they've eaten it whole!! I can't leave it without a lid as although they do drink from the top, they carry their paper over and dunk it in to see it float :eek:ut:.
    I can't put in an ordinary bottle for them as there is nowhere to stick it or attach it. I used velcro before and they chewed it off. The other bottle is inside a big bottle to stop them knocking it down and even that isn't working because they have discovered that if all 5 of them sit on it and try to get off one side at the same side that they can knock it over!!!
    I an completely out of ideas and need help, please!!!!!:cursing:

2. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

Maybe you could try a bowl of water instead. A ceramic one that they couldn't possibly tip over, but that they can reach into to drink. They might even bath in it...just keep it away from the house and bedding. :D

3. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

hmm goodplastic for chewing obviously :D make sure they have plenty of tings to chew on other than the water bottle.. if you can give them something made of a similar plastic (not all plastics are made equal you know ;) lol)

give them a water bowl instead and see how they get on with it. it will need cleaning out each day as (my rats) have a tendancy to put their bedding in it to hide it :rolleyes: eejits.

you could also try a bird water troughs instead, the ones that sit outside of the cage with just the trough inside (unfortunately the bit that goes inside is made of the best soft plastic so may get nibbled too), don't fill it up all the way tho and see how it goes.

4. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

Yes, I'd suggest the water bowl too, that's what I use. I currently have 12 tanks on the go and swap out the water dishes every morning and evening, it only takes five minutes to do. The problem with dishes is they can get contaminated if left unchanged, but by doing it twice daily it eliminates the problem.

5. toddy

toddy PetForums Senior

We have the same problem with the chins chewing bottles but it is easily solved by putting a piece of plastic pipe in between the bottle and the bars so the cannot get to it to chew.
    simple but effective:D

6. zany_toon

zany_toon PetForums VIP

I wasn't sure about trying a water bowl as I had been told that this should be avoided with mice. I will definitely give it a try if it is working for all of you though! I also didn't think about trying the bird fountain so will give that a try next. Unfortunately I think that might be it as with them being in a glass tank it's not like I can even use an ordinary sippy bottle on the outside and leave the nozzle on the inside. I will let you know how I get on if it works!!

Thanks!!

7. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

I think [email protected] do metal and glass waterbottls. I have one for my female rats who are right little blighters for chewing and it's held up for about a year now with many more years to go :p

Hope this helps

Peace
    Akai-Chan

[EDIT] Ah ok should've read it a bit better... if they're in a tank you might be able to get a suction cup for said water bottle :)

8. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

Please update us on how the water bowl switch goes. :)

9. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

jury rig a few of the metal bendy water bottle holders to suspend it from the top of the tank?

why are water bowls for mice bad? surely they don't drink from water bottles in the wild, they must use puddles or something, they can't be that dangerous. you can always leave the water shallow just in case, if you clean it out everyday then it won't matter that there's not a lot in it, mice and rats don't actually drink a huge amount. it's only on hot days you ahve to make sure it doesn't evaporate.

10. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

I think the common argument that bottles are better then bowls for mice is that you don't have to change it as often. Water in the open goes stale faster, evaportates as you say, plus mice can and will fill up a bowl with refuse. But if you are around more then once a day to change it then a bowl is normally not a problem, and the superior of the two, IMHO.

11. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

only if they don't eat the water bottles though ;)

if the water is changed once or twice daily, it won't go that stale, remember rodents are tolerant of stale and non-clean water unlike us, i don't see that it would be a problem, mine all prefer their bowl to the bottle they have. Not only to drink but makes cleaning themselves a lot easier too.

also with a bowl you can stick icecubes and frozen food in it to keep them cool on hot days and entertained. :D

12. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

That's right, I do the ice cubes thing too, forgot about that. Some of my mouse try to pluck it from the bowl, it's cute. :D

I love to watch them splash their muzzle with the water too.

13. zany_toon

zany_toon PetForums VIP

They are due for the cleaning of the tank tomorrow so I'm going to put in a water bowl then. Should be okay given that the little rugrats have been drinking out of the lidless bottle for the last few days. Appears that the lid was rather tasty, I haven't even found any plastic crumbs!!!

14. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

I doubt mice would actually eat plastic unless it was organically based. Most likely the chewed bits are lining their nest somewhere. :D

15. zany_toon

zany_toon PetForums VIP

Yep, found the plastic crumbs!! Looks like they've put a smurf through a shredder!! There were bits of blue and white plastic everywhere. At least I know their teeth are okay!

16. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

There you go, that's excellent. :)

Yeah, mice are pretty good at knowing what not to eat, I'm pretty sure none of mine have ever actually eaten plastic and in fact they hardly ever chew it either, unless they are making a new exit out of the basket houses I give them. Mice are planners and problem solvers, they chew with a purpose, at least in my experience.

17. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

18. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

If they are actually chew-proof then sure, they should work out fine. Huh, never heard of them, now I want some. :D

19. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

20. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

I'd be afraid to use actual glass water bottles though, I'd be worried I'd drop it and it would smash. Having the tanks be glass is more then enough for me, think I'll just stick to water bowls. Good luck with your bottles though. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice