Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Growing pains?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Duggee, Sep 4, 2020.

1. Duggee

Duggee PetForums Member

My Labrador is 10 months old. Over the last couple of months she’s had intermittent limping which moves from leg to leg. After a few days, she’s back to normal. She had her first season in July and I have read that this is the time growing pains start in larger dogs which coincides with when she started limping. It’s not one specific leg, she’s happy to be touched, I’ve felt along her entire leg from her hips/ shoulders down to her toes and she’s not bothered. She tends to go off her regular food when this happens, but she’s happy to have treats and Kongs. Again, I’ve read this is normal. She’s happy enough to go haring down the garden after phantom enemies although we obviously try to stop her. She just keeps her weight off a leg when she’s indoors and mooching about.

Is there anything we can do to help? We don’t exercise her when she’s like this. It’s happened about three times since July, three different legs. Do I need to take her to the vet?

2. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Have you been to the vet at all about this?

3. Duggee

Duggee PetForums Member

Booked for tomorrow. It was the first non emergency appointment I could get.

4. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Could be, could also be indicative of joint problems later in life. Vet check is your best bet. With a lab I'd also be ensuring they have plenty of food (or supplements) hat help with joints as it's a big problem in the breed.

Duggee likes this.
  5. Duggee

Duggee PetForums Member

Thanks for your reply. I did ask the vet about food and potential joint issues when we first got her and she said specific large breed food wasn’t necessary, but just to make sure her weight gain was healthy. We feed her large breed puppy food anyway to be on the safe side, but I will ask about supplements tomorrow. Of course with Covid, we aren’t allowed in the consultation room so we need to have all our questions ready so we can ask the vet when she comes out to collect the dog.

6. Duggee

Duggee PetForums Member

We saw the vet and she said she couldn’t find any specific points of pain, so likely growing pains, or that she’s done some minor soft tissue damage because she’s a typical jump-up, run around like a crazy dog labrador puppy. She’s given us Meloxicam for 10 days and advised us to mix wet food in with the dry to get her eating again. We seem to have a rare thing - a fussy labrador! Since she didn’t eat her breakfast I mixed it up with some Butchers tinned food before I gave her the medicine, and of course she wolfed it down.

7. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

It could be Pano (panosteitis) which I is often called growing pains. Have a google and see if the symptoms match

8. Duggee

Duggee PetForums Member

Thank you. Yes I did have a google and her symptoms match. We have some anti-inflammatories from the vet now and of course she made a miraculous recovery as soon as we got home from the vet!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice