Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Grooming sensitive bits

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by JoanneF, Jun 30, 2020.

1. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Timber has very little hair around his inner thighs and is quite sensitive there. So, while I use a pinhead brush or a slicker for other areas, in that area I use a soft bristle and I also hold the skin so I'm not pulling on it too much.

A few days ago, he got an insect bite and did a bit of licking which in turn caused a little matting, fortunately not too close to the skin so easily snipped off. But, trying to brush there is annoying him now and he gets a bit grumpy when he is handled on anybody's terms but his own (he'salways been a dog that doesn't like being fussed with).

Any tips?

Torin. likes this.
  2. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Can you rope your husband in to help?
    I would probably set it up as a basic positive interaction, but without the time delay of starting a +CER from the very beginning whereby in the interim time it might end up matted again.

So have your husband dispensing the most amazing food, while you brush.
    But the basic rules are:
    You start brushing
    The second you start the food starts
    If you stop/ pause/ withdraw the food immediately stops
    It's best to do it in little on-and-offs to start with, so that Timber understands the rules of the game.

If you're doing it on your own then using a lickimat or similar can work if Timber isn't going to be RGy about it. But that can have fallout and end up poisoning the lickimat rather than making a positive connection to the grooming, so I would only go down that route if you don't have help.

The other thing you can do rather than holding the skin to stop pulling, is to put firm pressure of a horizontal finger/ bit of hand on the skin between the place and the spine. That dulls the sensation a bit in terms of neuro pathways, which can be useful if he finds it ticklish.

eta - my other suggestion would be, do you have a plastic human hair comb? They're much softer and less 'tuggy' than brushes or metal combs, even where the tooth spacing is comparable. I'm using them on Cad's trousers, belly and tail atm.

#2 Torin., Jun 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    lullabydream, caterpiller and JoanneF like this.
  3. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

The roping in Mr F to hold the squeezy cheese tube will probably be our best bet. He has such soft hair (Timber, that is) that I usually do tackle little and often anyway.

That, and waiting until he is asleep on his back to sneakily snip little bits!

Torin. and lullabydream like this.
  4. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

I like knot sure by animology if there are any small tangles. You can rub it in rather than spray so that it doesn't scare Timber.

I would try a comb in that area to be honest. Smaller in size and easier to lift the hair if that makes sense, of course using all the tips @Torin. has stated.

JoanneF and Torin. like this.
  5. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I have a comb, I'll try that tomorrow.

lullabydream likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice