Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Grooming question.

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by catz4m8z, Aug 24, 2013.

1. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Im looking for some good grooming suggestions for one of my cats Bess. She has never had a great coat (very short, greasy and lots of dandruff) but its gotten worse as she has got older. She is now 13 and she has gone from being a lazy groomer to not really bothering at all!:rolleyes:
    At the moment Im using a slicker brush and wet wipes but there must be some sort of decent cat alternative for 'washing'??
    Poor girl...Her brother Banjo has a thick, soft fluffy coat and her brother Bertie is sleek and glossy like a panther. Then there's Bess (middle child, I was at the birth!!).....short, round, dull coat, stumpy with a stubby little tail and dandruff!!:001_wub:

2. lulubel

lulubel PetForums Senior

Sam had his own Mason Pearson boar bristle brush, which we used to keep his coat beautifully clean when he was too ill to groom himself effectively. Luna has now inherited it, and she loves it.

It's the Pocket Size "Child" CB4 brush on the Mason Pearson website.

#2 lulubel, Aug 24, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I find the brush that goes down well with all my cats )(long hair and short hair) is the Zoom Groom for cats (available from Amazon). It is very gentle (being made of rubber) and massages the skin as well as taking out loose fur.

Also it seems to encourage cats to groom themselves more. The design is apparently meant to imitate how a cat's tongue would feel when they wash themselves.

Bess would probably benefit from having some Salmon Oil or Krill Oil added to her meals, as it is good for the coat (do not give Cod Liver Oil though - too much Vit A).

Also, I 'd cut out any dry food as that can also cause greasy dandruffy coat
    in some cats, partly because the cat is not getting enough fluid in her diet. Feed a varied high protein wet food diet and add a little water to her meals to *up* her fluid levels. :)

4. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Thanks! I will have to try the zoom groom and also add some salmon oil to her meals. At the moment they get a mix of Almo Nature and Applaws tinned food and Royal Canin biscuits (which I have to leave down for my super timid cat who wont eat near the others or me).

5. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice