Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

grooming - getting on top of moulting

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by merothe, Mar 22, 2011.

1. merothe

merothe PetForums Senior

So now that Humphrey and Freya are officially grown ups we really need to get on top of their grooming and moulting. There is hair everywhere! I hoover twice a week. Even if you pick them up for a second you are covered. I am to blame as I dont groom them as regular as I should.

So I do have a furminator but i worry about overuse - Freya still has a funny patch on her back where i got overzealous and there isnt much undercoat left - just the harsh top coat

the zoom groom takes of a lot of hair - but is this also likely to take off too much???

What other brushes would you recommend?

Also a strange (and perhaps dumb) question - their stripes/markings on their bodies are not very distinct but they are very clear on their legs, head and tail. Is that because of how they are groomed or just normal/natural?

And finally...I bought some salmon oil tablets from zoo plus - the tablets are massive! I am not looking forward to trying to get the cats to eat them :blink: They are supposed to help with skin/coat but would that include moulting?? Also it states the dose of 2-3 capsules but not over what time period :blink: I am assuming per week???

Sorry for so many questions! Any tips on grooming are welcome :eek:

2. Dante

Dante PetForums VIP

I can't comment much on the grooming, but what is this Furminator? I've read about it twice today, people saying it takes off a lot of fur if not careful lol :blink:

Regarding the Salmon Oil, I've read others say they pierce the capsules and pour it on their usual food.. Or pierce it and squirt it into the cats mouth.. Not sure how easy that one would be :p

Hopefully someone will be able to shed some light better than me soon!

3. Ren

Ren PetForums Senior

I would get the actual oil that you pour rather than the capsules... I'm guessing it's way easier and I have read that a lot of cats like it as a treat.

Also can totally sympathise with the moulting. Kazuki is leaving fur EVERYWHERE. I am hoovering my couch constantly. Wish I could hoover him :tongue_smilie:

4. IzzyTwig

IzzyTwig PetForums Senior

I've heard the best thing to do with the capsules is to burst them and drizzle the oil over their food. No point trying to get your cats to swallow one.
    You can buy salmon oil in bottles to pour onto food, but the capsules keep far better than open bottles which is why people prefer them.

My cat Zu has just started moulting like crazy in the past couple of days as the sun has been glorious. She sunbathes all day, then covers everything in a layer of fluff. I only have the 1 cat but I have to hoover every other day and I'm constantly picking up fluff to put in the bin. It's a good job I love her.:tongue_smilie:

I'll keep an eye on this thread and see what brushes people suggest, I just have a slicker brush which helps a little with the moulting.

5. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

6. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

shave the cat?

I just use the slicker brush by Mikki on the shorthairs and the anti tangle comb buffie linked to on Gypsy's longer coat

7. Jansheff

Jansheff PetForums VIP

Someone asked about a furminator - it's like a sort of comb that really takes out the thick of the fur - when necessary. Google it for a pic, you can get them from pet shops, or even Ebay. I'm sure you can over use it if you're not careful and you aren't supposed to use it on Oriental shorthaired cats - I can't use it on my Burmese for instance. Not that I would, unless I wanted two bald cats!

My tabby and white Raffles has very thick fur and started to get dandruff last year and a furminator helped a lot.

8. merothe

merothe PetForums Senior

Thanks everyone - I dont have a slicker brush - will give that a try. They are much better at sitting still if i rotate the type of brush - I guess then it always has a bit of novelty value :p

I managed to get them to swallow the pills but think piercing and putting in their food is nicer for them. They did try to eat the pills so i guess they dont taste too bad :glare: but they are so big they wanted to chew them first...

I have also ordered a bumper box of lint rollers on amazon - I ran out 2 days ago and realise i cant live without them :rolleyes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice