Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Grooming Equipment?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Emmily, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Emmily

Emmily PetForums Member

I'll be replacing my dogs grooming equipment soon, and not sure what suits their coats. Both have soft fine coats, like a Yorkie; well, Rosie is a bit strange, about half her back is wire coat, and half is soft and fine, it could be that the wire coat is gradually growing through the soft puppy coat...

I'll be getting a new slicker brush, but I've seen a brush sort of similar to the slicker but with rubber prongs (for want of a better word) what is that brush for?

Combs, I don't know what size I should get, the spaces between the combs teeth vary. Not sure which one to buy?

Would I need a different comb for wire coat and soft fine coat? (that's assuming Rosie has a wire coat growing through her puppy coat)

Do I need smaller brush or comb for their faces, I manage with the slicker brush I use, but then again, a smaller slicker brush would be easier I guess.

I think there was two different types of nail clippers, not sure which of those is better/easier to use...:)

Anything left off that I should be using, and am currently not using to groom them?

2. Emmily

Emmily PetForums Member

:) Just bumping this while I'm around, hoping to get some replies :)

3. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

is it a bit like a rake-looking thing? these are great - i use one on maggie. they are for double-coated breeds and are brill at brushing out the dead fluffy undercoat :thumbup:

Combs - I have one that is very fine (hardly any gap between the prongs) which i use on finer hair and more delicate areas around her face and ears, feet etc and one with slightly more gap between prongs which I use to brush her all over. I dont know that you need different ones really though - the wider gap one would prob be fine for all over. If you can, get one with the rotating prongs as these are great.

I dont really ever need to brush maggies face due to the nature of her fur, but i do have the finer comb for round her ears and neck where the fur is feathery and a lot longer which i find useful.

Nail clippers are personal choice really:
    - you can get ones like human nail clippers which i personally dont get on with
    - you can get ones which look like and have a scissor action which I prefer
    - and you can get an electric file type thing too which I am looking to invest in

I also have a metal nail file (for dogs) which I find great for just removing sharp bits once i have trimmed the claws

and other than that I have a pair of baby scissors (with rounded ends) in my grooming kit too.

#3 katiefranke, Jun 1, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  4. Emmily

Emmily PetForums Member

Thanks Katie :)

Since bumping the thread I've found a website with the exact (though not all) grooming equipment I was looking to buy, with info on each product, very useful. :thumbup:

Sorry, my use of the word 'prongs' was confusing, I've discovered that's a massaging brush, I think my two would enjoy that. :D

Like you say, I don't think I'll need two combs, so the one above the fine should be okay. :)

Nail clippers, I'll take my magnifier and read what they both say on them. I'd not thought of a nail file, that's something to look out for. I used to have baby scissors for cutting the hair over Elsa's (previous dog) eyes, they appear to have gone missing, so I'll replace those as well. :thumbup:

Edited to add: I found another website with all (I think) the product (ones with pink handles)

http://www.rosewoodpet.com/catalogue/range.aspx?gid=29030&pg=aCivWiP8jjYjfdWevJ%2BgZA%3D%3D

#4 Emmily, Jun 1, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice