UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My puppy Skye is 15 weeks old now and I am looking for advice on the best brushes, combs etc. for grooming her long, double coat. I appreciate she is still young so I am currently using a basic puppy grooming kit but going forward I believe I will need a bristle brush, a pin brush, slicker brush and a comb?

Can anyone suggest suitable products and suppliers please?

Many thanks!

·
Registered
6,254 Posts
hi yer.........denman or mason and pearless bristle brush ( ebay) and wide toothed comb and smaller comb for knots . (I'll have to look up where i got mine from!)

pin brush. i got plush puppy one. slicker brushes off ebay.
got to shoot off :). speak later
piccies please x

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks!

I will upload photos soon, unfortunately have not taken many as planned as I have been lying low with an awful cold! :(

P.S Any tips on keeping Skye's ears folded over, they are starting to straighten now she is teething? :(

·
Registered
6,254 Posts
are they just light or pricked? the key is to massage the inside of the ear where the fold is with glisterine or something similar. and on the tip of the ear on the inside put a small piece of florist tape, its green and comes in a rolls costs about £2.50.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi again :),

Thanks for the reply.

They are light most of the time but pricked other times.

I have hundreds of questions despite having numerous books on Puppy Care and Rough Collies. :confused:

·
Registered
6,254 Posts
Hi again :),

Thanks for the reply.

They are light most of the time but pricked other times.

I have hundreds of questions despite having numerous books on Puppy Care and Rough Collies. :confused:
lol always happy to talk rough collie. btw you'll need a grooming spray when you brush.

what breeding is she?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi

I haven't used a grooming spray before. I assume it is a plastic spray bottle containing conditioner?

I had a Rough Collie when I was little but it was a long time ago (1970's) and I was young but I remember the tendency to matt behind the ears! My Skye is only a pet collie (KC endorsements) but I know I need to look after her coat.

Her parents are both Danfrebek and she has Lynmead/Amalie in her pedigree. I desperately wanted a sable & white female similar to my 'Lassie' from childhood and struggled to find many in my area when looking a few months ago so I travelled to get her and now, since reading up a lot more about Rough Collies in the UK and 'Googling'...there have been a few other s/w females available so I should not have rushed :crazy:

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Congrats! I have a tri-colour rescue Rough. :)

I use a rake, a pin brush, an anti-static comb and a Yento nylon and bristle brush - I have others but these have been the most useful ones in my kit!

I use a spray too.

I got my brushes from HUB International.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Hanlou,

How long have you had your collie and who old is she/he?

I too have rabbits also (2 mini rex brothers-bonded and two mini lops-bonded) and so far Skye is getting along fine with them and they do not seem bothered at the moment, I just hope she doesn't change her behaviour to them when she goes through her adolescent phase!

P.S what do you have in your spray?

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
I have several brushes from Plush Puppy I don't use a slicker on him his coat it is too lush. I do spray him with a mixture of conditioner and water as this makes it easier to groom. I do cheat with the bath thing though he goes to a groomer twice a year for that. She gets all the old coat out and he comes home posh boy.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Bobbie,

I have just ordered some brushes from Plush Puppy. I will have to find a good Groomer and take Skye for her first session to become accustomed as she is quite a nervous dog at times.

·
Registered
6,254 Posts
Thanks Bobbie,

I have just ordered some brushes from Plush Puppy. I will have to find a good Groomer and take Skye for her first session to become accustomed as she is quite a nervous dog at times.
you need to stand her on on something and start by grooming her for a few minutes each day to get her used to being groomed,have tit bits handy . Its easy you won't need to find a groomer. If you prefer for someone else to bath have her, get done when she's dropping her coat.For behind the ears get a small toothed comb ;) and each time she's groomed do behind the ears. I use a baby powder spray by Johnson but do make my own with rain water and oils. all the best x

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
The groomer I take Bracken to use to be the trainer I went to so he is very use to her and makes the collie talk at her. If you do go to a groomer ask them not to use the big blaster on her as this may scare her and she won't go again. Bracken still dosen't like it so Sue uses a small hand held one so of course he is a bit damp when I pick him up. But he is so vain after he has been.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Hello again! Whisper is 8 1/2 years old. She's a rescue dog so we've only had her for a year. She's a truly lovely girly and we love her to bits!!

I started doing all her grooming as she had sadly been mistreated in a previous home so she was quite nervous when we got her and I didn't think she'd cope with going to a proper groomers. But I enjoy it tbh! She always looks so gorgeous when she's been done lol. And she knows it too! ;)

I have used Plush Puppy grooming sprays and have just got some NAF horse 'mane and tail' spray that works well. The Plush Puppy sprays are good but not cheap! Although the shampoo and conditioner I got from them (which are really good!) will last for ages as they need to be diluted so though they weren't cheap they work out pretty economical in the long run. :)

Again; because of Whisper's nervousness I decided to bath her myself. I bought two budget bathmats from Argos and cut a hole for the plug (then used a hair catcher over the plug-hole!) and I use a 'bath choker' - which sounds far worse than it is! - to stop her jumping out of the bath. She was very well behaved and it was far easier than I expected!

Oh rabbits are lovely pets too - and Whisper is absolutely fine with my two - so if your pup has got to know them whilst young I doubt you'll have any problems. My two live in a shed / aviary set-up and get free range on the yard so it was important she tolerated them but she absolutely adores them lol - and has to go and check on them every morning! :001_smile:

I will have to post some pics of her on the forum xx

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
The groomer I take Bracken to use to be the trainer I went to so he is very use to her and makes the collie talk at her. If you do go to a groomer ask them not to use the big blaster on her as this may scare her and she won't go again. Bracken still dosen't like it so Sue uses a small hand held one so of course he is a bit damp when I pick him up. But he is so vain after he has been.
Whisper hates dryers too! I don't even use a small one anymore as she so obviously hated it! Luckily Rough's dry much quicker than you'd expect them to and she *does* love to be towel dried!

Hah at Bracken being vain! Whisper is just the same! When she's had a thorough grooming session she sits so proud lol. :p

·
Registered
8,792 Posts
Here's a picture of Callum on the grooming table yesterday...What a chore for the last 6 months they have had minimal grooming due to my low blood counts, its one of things that was a no no...So lots of work to get back to weekly grooming status...Only got his hind legs done yesterday today it will be his mane and if it doesn't take too long the rest of him. It took 2 1/2 hours just to do his hind quarter yesterday and I figured that was enough for him...What a patient boy I have...

Attachments

·
Registered
6,254 Posts
Here's a picture of Callum on the grooming table yesterday...What a chore for the last 6 months they have had minimal grooming due to my low blood counts, its one of things that was a no no...So lots of work to get back to weekly grooming status...Only got his hind legs done yesterday today it will be his mane and if it doesn't take too long the rest of him. It took 2 1/2 hours just to do his hind quarter yesterday and I figured that was enough for him...What a patient boy I have...
wished my 2 youngster would go on the table, my fault for keeping 2 and not training them to.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Ahhh...Callum really behaved himself then, he is lovely! (I hope you are now feeling better)

I can definitely see the subtle difference between UK Collies and one's over in Canada /USA. Its their head shape? I first noticed this when I bought a book on Rough Collies and thought the photos of collies were a little different then realised the book was produced outside the UK.

I will have to try and get a table for Skye, its back breaking work getting down to her level :eek::

P.S It's great 'chatting' to all you Rough Collie owners, I'm so glad I found this forum, its really valuable for advice and 'meeting people' with a common bond.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.