Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Grooming a Persian Kittens beard

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Junaki, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Junaki

Junaki PetForums Junior

My 11 week old princess has seemed to got quite hard under head fur but I'm not sure how to soften it back up. Any tips?

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Do you groom her every day without fail? What grooming tools do you use?

It sounds as though the fur is matted if it has gone hard. She may be getting her food on her 'bib'. You might need to groom her bib after every meal at present.

I have a longhaired cat (not a Persian) and his bib fur occasionally gets a bit of food or gravy in it. I tease out the knot with my fingers very gently and then comb through.

3. Smuge

Smuge PetForums VIP

Define hard? Seems strange unless it hasnnt been combed for a long time and became very matted but your kitten is a new arrival isnt it?

The biggest issue with brushing talis chin is that she loves to eat the damn comb anytime it goes near her mouth lol. I have to very gently hold her head still to do under her chin. I do this with a metal comb rather than the brush

4. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

Like the others I'm assuming you mean it has matted. This is, I'm afraid, par for the course with Persians and you really do have to keep on top of them. Eating, drinking and then the attempted self grooming will all cause a Persian 'beard' to matt. It'll need daily combing to help prevent the matts becoming too large and close to the skin. If the matt is large and you cannot split it by tearing it apart with you fingers I would suggest getting it clipped out and starting again. Trimming skin tight matts out using scissors is a dodgy business especially with a wriggly kitten. Use Cornstarch/dry grooming powder to help keep the hairs tangle free after each grooming session.

chillminx likes this.
  5. Junaki

Junaki PetForums Junior

Hey, thanks for the information guys. It does seem to be dry milk. I comb her daily twice (once in the morning and once in the evening) but have failed to do so for her bib/beard. I use the catit longhair grooming kit. I just used the comb on her beard and it's already softened up.

How should I get the milk out of the beard/bib?
    Wipes or water?

6. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

Milk? Personally I wouldn't bother with that now, just plain water. Otherwise you'll need to wash and dry the beard after every drink or it'll end up smelling.

Junaki and chillminx like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice