UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
really need some advice.. my cat binkie had her first litter 7 weeks ago..unfotunatley yeaterday we lost two of the kittens :( it was quite a shock for all of us.. since then understandbly binkie has been acting quite irraticly and seems very stressed. What im concerned most about is that she seems uninterested in the remaining 2 kittens, one of which is very small, she wont stay with them or feed them, they have only just been started on small amounts of solids. Its heartbreaking to see her so clearly upset and distressed. I am at a loss as what to do.. she has been such a fantastic mum up to now, she still seems to check on the kittens and make sure they are ok but then lwaves straight away.

any advice would be much appretiated. xx

·
Registered
434 Posts
sorry for your loses, You just need to offer her cuddles alone and with the kittens, stroke her to let her now things are ok, If the kittens are 7 weeks old, then mine seem to be distant towards them, like theyv had enough and they do things for themselves now, but still cuddle them. Maybe sit and play with the kittens to show her to that its ok and theres nothing wrong.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you, I have been giving her plenty of attention and cuddles with me and she does seem to be craving that. Getting close to the kittens is difficult binkie geta very upset and tries to take them away a little too roughly i think due to panicking. its as if she wants to protect them but just wont stay with them. Its very hard to see. I have been putting out kitten milk and small amounts of food. She has been such a loving up to now, she had hardly left their sides until yesterday.

·
Registered
434 Posts
sounds like she really is protecting them, I think as long as she and kittens are feeding, safe and warm then i wouldnt worry too much, She knows where her kittens are and she trusts you around them, I know how hard it is to see your pride & joy distressed but she will get through this, with you by her side.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Try using a home made forumla milk and feeding the kittens with a bottle, especially the little one. Read up on home made formulas. The carnation milk and boiled water one is particularly good in helping them gain weight. Also try and get two little furry stuffed toys for them to cuddle up to.

·
Registered
14,011 Posts
im sorry about your kittens, such a sad loss and i dont even know why at 7 weeks they should die but i do know its nature being cruel.
your girl will pine for the loss and it will take her alittle time so she will be more protective of these kittens.
i feed my tiny boy royal canin kitten milk mixed with hills ad food, hes gaining weight very quickly so maybe try this until your is a better weight.
give mum lots of cuddles, she will be fine soon.
you can also feed the rest of the litter hilife which most kittens love.
i hope you are ok and sending big hugs.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Sorry to be the wet blanket but I think there is something else going on here. Cats can't count and I am not convinced that they would notice the loss of two kittens, let alone care very much at this stage. On the other hand Mums cease all interest if there is something fundamentally wrong with the kittens. Ihope I am wrong but I would not be too hopeful about these. Unlike many on here, I find this is a very common age to lose kittens - were there any symptoms at all?

Liz

·
Registered
127 Posts
sounds like fading kitten syndrome :( and as lizward just said a mother cat will push away ill kittens and forget about them, mummy cats seem to know way before we do if there kittens are going to die :( We have one now that the mum keeps removing from the nest as it is going to die :(

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Hi, I am also very sorry to hear about your loss. Lizward, why is kitten loss common at 7 weeks please? I have a litter of british blues that are currently seven weeks it is my first litter - I understand that around this time immunity from mother states to wane, but what signs do I need to look for please? thank you

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Hi, I am also very sorry to hear about your loss. Lizward, why is kitten loss common at 7 weeks please? I have a litter of british blues that are currently seven weeks it is my first litter - I understand that around this time immunity from mother states to wane, but what signs do I need to look for please? thank you
Infection, I suppose. Also I find that with very tiny kittens, 7 to 8 weeks is about the point when they finally lose their battles. What to look for? Depression. As soon as the kitten stops running around then you start to worry.

Liz

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for all your comments. unfortunatley we lost another kitten yesterday..and yeah it didnseem like fading kitten syndrome unfortunatley..the good news is the last little kitten is doing so well. ive been giving him a little kitten formula daily and he is feeding from mum again and taking kitten food well. hes gaining weight and turning into a little terror. looks like we might have a happy ending with him. hes doing so well and mummy seems much much happier.

·
Registered
127 Posts
thanks for all your comments. unfortunatley we lost another kitten yesterday..and yeah it didnseem like fading kitten syndrome unfortunatley..the good news is the last little kitten is doing so well. ive been giving him a little kitten formula daily and he is feeding from mum again and taking kitten food well. hes gaining weight and turning into a little terror. looks like we might have a happy ending with him. hes doing so well and mummy seems much much happier.
Sorry to hear you lost one more, fingers crossed for the last one :D Are you having them autopsied ? So worth finding out why for future reference on breeding from that queen again or finding out if there was anything you need to change for the future :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.