UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm a new cat owner of a dsh female called Florence. We brought her and her 'brother' fonzie home 2 months ago from a rescue shelter (not sure if they were biologically related or just together from a very young age!). She is about 5/6 months old now. Sadly fonzie got run over a couple of weeks ago and didn't survive. He was actually found by a lady in the neighbourhood and she took him home and arranged for him to be collected by the council, we found out a couple of days after, when we did a leaflet drop in the area. Now I'm really worried about Florence...she seems a bit sad and not as active. I got a phone call from the lady that found fonzie to let me know Florence was in her front garden crying yesterday, which makes me think Florence was there looking for fonzie, as the lady said she had wrapped him in a blanket and left him in the front garden to be collected. So my question is, should I get another kitten/cat to keep Florence company? As I said I'm a new cat owner, so i'm not experienced at all and learning as much as I can, as quickly as I can about cats! I hate to think she is sad and lonely. We are out for 8 hours a day, 4 days a week and the rest of the time we are in and out the house for short periods. She is an outdoor and indoor cat (I don't let her out at night time). I'd be grateful for any advice. Thanks

·
Registered
475 Posts
It's really very difficult to say. I think it might be too soon just yet anyway.

When Ernie was run over in August, Eric spent more than four weeks just sitting in the garden looking at the spot where he'd escaped. And whenever he came in the house, he would only sit where he could see the cat flap.

By six or eight weeks, he was coming back round to himself, playing and eating normally, but was clearly missing his playmate.

Had Eric still been around, we would have brought his new playmate home to him today (today was a hard day:( ).

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very difficult indeed, I've done a lot of reading online with conflicting views. The gist I seem to get a lot though is that they are less set in their ways at a younger age and more accepting of new pets etc. she still eats fine and does have little bursts of energy, maybe 5/10 minutes but when she had fonzie they would play for longer periods, sleep together and groom each other, so I do worry, especially about the days i am at work.

Did Eric pass as well? Sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
When we lost Harley last January We decided to get another within Days as My other British was grieving.
She knew Harley had passed away as I had his Body with us for a couple of Days before he went for cremation. She said her good byes to him.
I remember crying my heart out while looking on the internet for another kitten. It was very hard.
But it was the best thing for her and for me.
Her and Archie both got on from Day one.
Every one is different and so every cat as well.

If you are out at work for 8 hours per Day it might be a good idea for another kitten.
Their are plenty needing homes right now.
We have a Happy little House now. We will never forget Harley just like you won't forget Fonzie. Each one is very special.

·
Registered
10,861 Posts
I'd suggest that if you do get another, you keep them both indoors until they are a lot more settled and able to cope with the outside world sensibly. 5/6 months is really too young to be out anyway as their concentration spans are so short, and they're so inquisitive that they do get into all sorts of trouble. Most folks recommend not letting kittens out until at least a year old. Sorry, I know it doesn't answer your post, but just don't want you to go through this again with another cat.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know what you mean, but again conflicting advice as I was told to let them out by all of my cat owner friends! They also really wanted to go out and fonzie always kept meowing at the door that I felt cruel to keep them in. I'm terrified every time I let Florence out now but feel mean if I don't :-(

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
It's really very difficult to say. I think it might be too soon just yet anyway.

When Ernie was run over in August, Eric spent more than four weeks just sitting in the garden looking at the spot where he'd escaped. And whenever he came in the house, he would only sit where he could see the cat flap.

By six or eight weeks, he was coming back round to himself, playing and eating normally, but was clearly missing his playmate.

Had Eric still been around, we would have brought his new playmate home to him today (today was a hard day:( ).
on the contrary i think i would get one asap, sometimes the cat may not take to another if left too long, she is obviously missing the company, but whatever you do you will have to expect a little conflict until they get used to each other, but she is young herself so she should accept a little more quickly

·
Registered
10,861 Posts
Most owners let their cats out really young, and most of those owners go through what you do. It's the equivalent of letting an 8 year old out without telling them not to run in front of cars, as your kitten isn't mentally much more than this at that age. I really would advise keeping them in until they're much older and much more sensible, that's if you let them out at all! Not that I'm an indoor advocate or anything...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.