UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know its only been a few days but Im a little worried about Remy and Benny ..
They are so quiet.

They are eating but mechanically .. Whenever they would have fish the boys would all come running in from the kitchen wagging tails and rubbing their faces on anything and anyone so if you didnt want fishy legs it was best not to be here on fish day! This time they ate and then both of them just wandered in laid down and went back to sleep...

Esp at night Remy wanders round the bedroom and whines a bit before settling into his own bed..
And he is sticking to me like glue again, my velcro dog is back with a vengance. ( I cant even go to the loo without company)
Benny is much more withdrawn and keeps hiding in his kennel. He isnt even running out when I bought home shopping or when we clear the dinner plates which he always does.
Their tails are drooping like limp flags and they are not interested in anything.

They are walking ok but the first thing they do when they get back is run full pelt into the living room heads up looking round then when they see Oscar isnt here the tails go down and ear drop and they just go to their beds ..
They also havent barked once this week , I know most people would count that as a blessing but its as if they dont care..

Im taking them for lots of walks and keeping thier feeding routine trying not to mollycoddle them too much but its hard..

Advice anyone? how long can this last and what can I do to make this easier for them?

·
Banned
19,241 Posts
It is heartbreaking, isn't it? You just want to explain to them, and you can't. When Joshua died I thought I was going to lose Ferdie as well, he was so ill. First he would just sit and stare at the end of the garden as though waiting for Joshua to come out from behind the shed. He wouldn't go out at all and the one time I did get him out, he tried to hump every dog he saw - anxiety I think. Then he was ill, went and laid behind the shed where I couldn't get at him.

I was offered Diva but Ferdie wasn't interested for about a week then he accepted her, but he has never loved her like he did Joshua.

You already have the two dogs, so apart from lots of fuss and love, what you are doing in fact, I don't know what else to suggest. Perhaps take them somewhere different, somewhere to take their minds off it?

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Dogs grieve as much as humans and some will take longer than others. Some find things to fill the void and others don't but the hard answer is it will take as long as it is going to take.

All you can do is what you are already doing and give them space. It's a heartbreaking time.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
It is heartbreaking to see them like this isn't it? :( I think the only thing you can do is to try act as normally as possible, give them plenty of attention and extra walks if you can fit them in. It will take time with them, but they should eventually return to normal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.