Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Grieving Dog

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by estrelaslave, Jun 2, 2010.

1. estrelaslave

estrelaslave PetForums Junior

Hi
    I am in a sad situation so have joined this chat for some advice.
    I recently was the proud owner of 3 estrelas. Sadly my oldest bitch died in October and the next in line died on Saturday. This leaves my dog.
    He is very clingy which is understandable but doesn't seem too disturbed by being the only dog now. However, when he goes to bed he suddenly panics as if he realises that his pal should be in bed as well. I get up and let him into the garden where he seems to search for her and then he goes back to bed and appears calmer. In people's experience, how long does it take a dog to adjust to being the only canine member of the household? It breaks my heart to hear him crying for her. I don't expect him to get over it very quickly because I know I won't but any ideas how to treat him when he cries?
    :sad:

2. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

I'm really sorry, I'm not much help but just wanted to say how sorry I am for you losses.

i lost my eldest wolfhound in the autumn, but the other dogs still had each other and although were obviously sad they recovered quickly, plus we had a pup come back to us which helped the grieving all round.

The only time that I have lost a dog leaving a lone dog behind was many years ago and I let my heart rule my head and we bought another pup. again this helped everyone - itwasn't about replacing our lost ones, but it gave us something new to focus on, whilst remembering our old girls.

Good luck, I hope he picks up soon. xx

3. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Im so sorry for both your losses,how sad for you all. xx
    It will take time for your remaining dog,he will have to grieve and miss your other dogs just as you do.
    Iv only ever had this situation once myself,but the remaining dog was still a young pup at the time,and i did go on to get another.As your dog has always known a companion,it may take longer.
    Do you plan to get another dog?
    Maybe buy him a snuggly thick blanket or teddy for his bed,that he can snuggle up to,and give him as long as he needs. xx

4. estrelaslave

We aren't planning on getting another dog as, to be honest, I don't know whether he would approve. He does not like other dogs very much and I would be afraid of "consequences" if we tried to introduce anyone else into his household. He is crated at night so is used to being in his bed alone at night. However, he was also used to having her bed right next to his and he obviously knows all is not as it should be when he finds himself alone. That said, he doesn't seem distressed when he is left at any other time. He is always quiet when I return home and my cleaner said she had the normal couple of barks then he was quiet as usual whilst she worked.
    Sad thing is that when I come home he is initially really pleased then seems disappointed that I am on my own and I haven't brought her back. I wonder if leaving a light on would help him?

5. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Ah bless him.Things like leaving the light on ,or a radio very quietly may do but in the long run,its a new situation he has to live with and you may not want the light on or radio on long term.I think i would just carry on as you have been doing,reassure him when he needs it,eventually he will understand this is how its going to be.
    Try not to worry too much,its all very raw for you all at the moment ,in time its gets a little easier. xxx

6. estrelaslave

Thank you for your kind words. I'm sure we'll all feel a bit better as time goes on.

7. DebbieC

DebbieC PetForums Junior

It's worth considering a Bach Flower Remedy for this (not Rescue Remedy) I have suggested them for this before and it did seem to help. Ask either your vet, or see if there's a behaviourist locally that uses them.
    Good luck

8. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

Could he have his crate in your room at night - he might feel happier knowing you are close by.

9. estrelaslave

I may well think of putting his crate in our room. It might help him to get over his depression as well. I will also spend some more time playing with him and maybe teach him some new tricks so he has something else to focus his attention on.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice