Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Grief about cages!!!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Leam1307, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Leam1307

Leam1307 PetForums Senior

deleted....

#1 Leam1307, Nov 19, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  2. Luz

Luz PetForums VIP

Oh dear. Crates are like Marmite! I think they are fine if used properly. My trainer is totally opposed so I didn't tell her I had one! Just take the pics down and do your own thing! :thumbsup:
    You can find lots of advice about crates on here. Just don't shut the crate too soon!

3. Luz

Luz PetForums VIP

And we need photos of him! :D

4. Muze

Muze PetForums VIP

As said, crates, like many other training tools, can be controversial.
    Used correctly, they can be useful. Used incorrectly, they may be little more than a prison to make someone's life a bit easier.
    A lead and collar used incorrectly can cause distress after all.

Why not read up on crate training and confront other people's ideas about their use?

HTH x

looking forward to pics of your you lad :)

5. pogo

pogo PetForums VIP

I have had grief over crates before but too me they are a god send, and i couldn't care less if used properly then what does it matter!

just tell them where to shove it ;)

6. Leam1307

deleted....

#6 Leam1307, Nov 19, 2012
  7. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

Don't let the b*ggars grind you down - crates used properly provide a safe haven for pups / dogs protecting both them and your home - they also make nice little dens.

If he is happy in his crate, that is all that matters.

When I have a litter, I start using the crates at night from around 5 / 6 weeks, mixing and matching the pups so they are initially not alone, gradually working towards each of them spending some time alone so they are used to it by the time they leave also making use of the whelping box (which is big enough for parties) and a puppy pen (I don't have that many crates)

To date, I don't think we've had a pup who has gone home and given their owners a sleepless night.

You can make them into safe little dens for them - some dogs feed in them - have their toys there.

All mine love the crates, I've got two large open crates in my "dog room" (aka dining room) and frequently you will find one or more dogs in them.

Mine are all loose when one or both of us are at home incuding at night - but if we go out - my two boys and my youngest girl still quite happily go in their crates (it ensures I have a house to return to - but also keeps them safe)

========================

My eldest girl (who was never crate trained) actually delivered her first litter in the crate - we got to 6 pups before I managed to get her out of there, and she would have done the same with the second litter although this time we managed to coax her out.

Quite often, I can be missing one of the chocs or my black - only to find them curled up in their crates.

Some people think they are cruel - but they aren't used properly and providing the dog is happy with them.

Well done you for giving this pup a forever home - between you, you will work out what works best for all of you - if that includes a crate, then so be it.

8. happysaz133

happysaz133 PetForums VIP

That is nonsense!

Did you sign a contract of adoption? I assume you did. Unless it says in the contract that you will not use a crate, then they have absolutely no rights to come and take him back from you, so try not to worry too much there.

I have signed several adoption contracts now, and not one of them has ever mentioned crates. I am free to use them if I wish, although I personally choose not too (although I did for a few weeks when my pup first came home). All it said in her contract was that she was not to be kept outside permanently in a kennel. Mine had also been wondering the streets, although granted not Romanian streets, but her rescue actually recommended the crate and crate trained her at her foster parents home.

You need to get some good crate training links and forward it to the rescue, show them what a positive happy thing a crate can be to a dog. Also, can you take a video to show them that he can come in and out freely and happily?

Not that you should have to do any of this of course :(

9. happysaz133

happysaz133 PetForums VIP

Maybe you could show us photos, see what all the fuss is about? Or even better, show this thread to her once you have posted photos, show her how many people agree with you.

10. missRV

missRV PetForums VIP

Hi

A friend of my mums (who is very opinionated and loud!) Came to our house just after we got Rosie and started spurting her opinons on crates as soon as she saw it. My mum was in a similar situation as you are but boy are we glad we're crate training her now! It's a safe place for her for when she is scared or in alone and she knows it's her space. I get not everyone likes them and the pup did scream at first when we started training.

I agree, let's see the pics and you can get some good ideas from some people on the forum, there are some really good knowledgeable people on here :)

11. Muze

Muze PetForums VIP

Oh dear, that's an awful attitude from the rescue :(

I don't know what else to say, just stick with it and defend your choices the best you can and don't let it put you off offering a home to the poor boy.

All the best :eek:

12. WeedySeaDragon

WeedySeaDragon PetForums VIP

I really doubt they will have any legal right to come and take him away from you so try not to worry too much about that.

There are plenty to good articles and information sheets about crate training online. Here are a few that might be worth forwarding to them:

Humane Society of the US

RSPCA

APDT

I think the best thing you can do is explain to them about crate training, that it's there to help keep him safe and aid in his training.

All ours have been trained with crates at some point and they're all perfectly happy going in them. In fact they like going in them, we only have one set up at the moment (for our youngest to stop him being a pest when we're out) and there's practically a scrum every time we getting ready as they all try to get in it :lol:

13. missRV

missRV PetForums VIP

PS: Can you not unfriend them on facebook? Now that you have the dog? They'd surely need a valid reason to contact the RSPCA?

14. Leam1307

deleted....

#14 Leam1307, Nov 19, 2012
  15. Dot

Dot PetForums Member

Hope you get this sorted, Leam. Can you discuss with her the virtues of the correct use of a crate? Used properly, there is nothing wrong with them. I am sure they are used as prisons by some people but can you reassure her?

I wanted to put away my boy's cage but he loves it and uses it as his bed now with door permanently open. When he was still being trained he used to sleep in it at night because, to be honest, he would have wrecked the place!

I suppose they do look like a prison to someone who doesn't know the correct way to use one so try and educate her, may be, in a friendly way?

Hope it works out for you.

16. WeedySeaDragon

WeedySeaDragon PetForums VIP

In that case I'd just ignore her. If the homechecker who is obviously trusted by the rescue have suggested crate training then I can't see them having any problem with it at all.

It sounds like you're doing all the right things with regards to getting him used to it so just carry on and try not to let people get you down!!

17. Retri

Retri PetForums Senior

having our two from puppies I dont know what we would have done without crates, we wouldnt have any furniture or carpets left thats for sure, especially with CJ, ours love thier crates, they are not allowed in eachothers (dogs choice not ours) sometimes I strugle to get maddie out of hers, if shes had enough of CJ she will go in there and look at me waiting for me to shut the door for her:rolleyes:

18. Leam1307

deleted ....

#18 Leam1307, Nov 19, 2012
  19. sweetcharity

sweetcharity PetForums Member

Im really sorry that what she wrote has you so upset.We had to get a crate as our young one was eating our furniture.The door is open when we are here and closed when we are out or in bed,..She ABSOLUTELY loves her cage, our older dog also uses it lol.Try not to worry , you have done a gr8 thing giving the dog a home.Hr response to your pics seems more out of ignorance of how much dogs actually like being in them.Hope it all works out ok.

20. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

You should be able to upload the photos to PetForums in an album of your own and then just link to them.

Alternatively, right click on the image on FB - if using IE you will have to copy the whole link and paste it in an image link in your post

If using FireFox, you will be given the option to copy the link location and then just paste it into an image box on here.

Seriously, crates can be an absolute godsend for some dogs - I've decrated some of mine as young as 4/5 months, and then have a 4 year old I still crate when I go out - he quite happily trundles into his crate when he knows we are going out.

In addition, because I have entire dogs and bitches, I have to rotate the dogs at season times so they are essential here - whilst I am around I find I have less problems with both genders if the dogs can see each other.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice