Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Greyhounds: The Dogumentary

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by emma1985xx, Nov 23, 2012.

1. emma1985xx

emma1985xx PetForums Newbie

2. AmberNero

AmberNero PetForums VIP

I want to like it, but it's making lighthearted comedy about an industry in which thousands of greyhounds suffer and die for human entertainment. I know there are good, loving trainers out there who care for their dogs, but that doesnt make up for the inherent cruelty of the 'sport'.

I couldn't watch the video I chose all the way through because any of the greyhound featured could have ended up shot on the track after an injury.

3. L/C

L/C PetForums VIP

I feel the same as AmberNero - I have one greyhound who will be on strong painkillers in the not too distant future for the rest of her life because of a racing injury and another who I have just discovered has brain damage probably due to being kicked in the head.

Add to that the over-breeding, number of injuries, dumped dogs, high rate of euthanasia for fixable injuries and I'm afraid it's just not something I can support in any way.

4. AmberNero

AmberNero PetForums VIP

Is that Ely? :( Does it explain his level of fear-related behaviours? They are so lucky they ended up with you, you've been so patient and caring with them xxxx

5. L/C

L/C PetForums VIP

Yes it is. The vet and behaviourist think it could be a cause of his dis-inhibition - he's started displaying dog aggression when triggered in certain situations but while it is related to events and has a clearly defined trigger then we just need to monitor him. If it becomes random then we will need to have another think.

6. AmberNero

AmberNero PetForums VIP

Will keep my fingers firmly crossed it stays as it is and doesn't progress :(

7. L/C

L/C PetForums VIP

He's actually improving at the moment - I've been working with him for the past few months and he's become much less stressed by it all. So currently it's pretty positive - it's just something that we have to be aware of.

AmberNero likes this.
  8. AmberNero

AmberNero PetForums VIP

That's good! :D Now... look deep into my eyes... you want to post more photo's of your devilish duo, don't you? Yessss, you doooo... :D

9. emma1985xx

10. Paula07

Paula07 PetForums VIP

I agree with the others. After working at a Greyhound rescue and seeing dogs come in with horrific injuries due to racing and cruel people its not something i can support.

L/C im sorry to hear about Ely, hope he is ok.

11. L/C

L/C PetForums VIP

I'm waiting for OH to get the ones from last weekend off his camera and then I will bombard you with them.

They are the exception - not the rule. Never mind the ones that never make it to retirement. Over breeding is a huge issue - ever wonder what happens to the pups that won't chase or are too slow? Ever wonder why they don't get to the RGT or any other rescues?

#11 L/C, Nov 23, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  12. BumbleFluff

BumbleFluff PetForums VIP

Well i thought it was very funny :) I've got 2 greyhounds who will come home when they retire, theyre lucky to have a good home waiting for them once theyve finished racing. Others arent so lucky..

13. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

14. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

I really enjoyed the films, they were fun :) I particularly like the one wher he backed out of the cages and the one where they were playing eye spy in the back of the van on the way to the race.

I love it when people put voices over dogs talking. I do it with mine (and Clover's mum's ) all the time.

15. magicovencleaner

magicovencleaner PetForums Newbie

I want to believe that there are lots of places like this but I just can't. I love it when I see greyhound racing dogs being treated well but I just know that they are in the minority rather than the majority.

The videos were quite funny though :D

16. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

I shared the link to the Dogumentary on Twitter and Sheffield RGT commented on how they helped to film it and what a good time they and all their dogs had making it :)

So if they endorse it I am happy :)

17. magicovencleaner

It's good to know that a retirement home is happy with it :)

18. magicovencleaner

Ohh I am very sorry to hear about Ely as well!

Still I can't say that I haven't enjoyed some of the videos. They reminded me of the BBC voice overs. think the aim was to entertain and show these dogs in a friendlier light.
    Plus it would make the greyhounds look more attractive for adoption...

19. emma1985xx

Yeah I think so too.

Sorry, I didn't mean to cause a stir but I'm glad some of you liked the videos!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice