Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Greyhound spinal injury

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by CThomas1, Aug 23, 2018.

1. CThomas1

CThomas1 PetForums Newbie

My greyhound suffered with a spinal cord injury. We dont know how he did it, he was just paralysed on his back end one morning. Its been 7 weeks now and he has good local reflexes and can hold his own weight for a few seconds if we stand him but cannot walk or get up on his own and still seems unaware he is toileting. Am I expecting too much too soon? He is 7yrs old.

Bousyrouge likes this.
  2. Marj555

Marj555 PetForums Newbie

Sorry to hear about this. My dog is unable to get up at the moment, following a stroke, I use Dry Nights bed mats. They have sticky pads and will stick to the floor and are very absorbant

. What has the vet said?

3. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

What treatment has he had? Surgery, steroids?

4. CThomas1

Vet has said time and physio, which is what we have been doing.

5. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Not a dog but a friend's cat got run over and was told similiar time and patience. Took a lot of time but he did recover had tiny limp.

My friend did think at first should I have tried as he really couldn't do anything but little bits of progress and the vet was pleased with so they carried on.

I think the best advice anyone can give you is to listen to your vet if I am honest. There might be more progress, there might not. Currently I think progress sounds promising and I am sure your vet would say the same . If progression doesn't happen then it's quality of life.

Toileting will hopefully return. It's one of those things with spinal injuries that often does come back. Personally I would buy kennel disinfectant as to keep on top of hygiene and it's safe whilst wet so no worries like normal cleaning products or things like Zoflora and if you look on Amazon you can buy amazing fragrances and a little bit goes a long way.

If you know when roughly he will go for a number two if it's during the day and nightimes it's just wee then I would use vet bedding under him for comfort. Under the vet bed incontinent pads or such. Vet bedding wittles away the wee so he remains dry.

Could also try a belly band for urine line with a sanitary towel. Not much good for number 2s. Obviously you probably are doing all this may help other people reading

6. CThomas1

He used to poop twice a day, straight after food but since this it's throughout the day. He seems to release his bladder as soon as we take him outside, which is good, but still looks unaware it's happening.
    I definitely don't want to give up on him, I just don't want to be cruel either.
    He still seems happy and enjoys cuddles etc, but hard to tell as he can't way his tail.
    I have all the correct cleaning stuff and his urine scald wounds are almost healed.

lullabydream likes this.
  7. Blackadder

Blackadder PetForums VIP

I damaged the radial nerve in my arm meaning I couldn't move my fingers, the consultant informed me that nerves heal at the rate of approx. 1mm per day so dependent on the amount of damage it could be a long process.... it was!

This is for humans but I'll take a giant leap & assume dogs aren't that different so you could (depending on damage) be looking at months rather than weeks!

The fact he can bear weight is a good sign IMO & hopefully the incontinence issues will resolve but it will take time as your vet said.

Whiteshadow and lullabydream like this.
  8. CThomas1

I think I just worry. Hate seeing my boy like this.

9. Blackadder

Blackadder PetForums VIP

That's understandable, I'd be worried.

Do you know the extent of the damage? Has your boy had scans to try & determine what the problem is?

10. CThomas1

He had a myelogram when it first happened. Looks like it's haemorrhage on the spinal cord.

11. Blackadder

Blackadder PetForums VIP

Ok, so if your vet has seen the results & doesn't think any surgery will help then all you have is time....

It's not easy but stick with it &, hopefully, you will see little improvements that will make all your efforts worthwhile.

Hope all goes well for you both!

CThomas1 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice