Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Greyhound Rescue Question

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by nerd of prey, Jun 29, 2009.

1. nerd of prey

nerd of prey PetForums Junior

Hey,
    I'm not currently looking for a dog as I live in rented accomodation but I'm feeling quite depressed living without a pet dog (I keep visiting doggy relatives and friends!) I feel jealous when I see dog walkers...but anyway to try and deal with my growing dog broodiness I'm planning when I can get a dog, hopefully this time next year as fingers crossed I should be on my way to being a homeowner and have a permenant teaching job (I am currently a trainee teacher).

However I wondered if anyone knows if greyhound rescue places will let full time workers adopt? I have never had a greyhound before but my family have owned various breeds cockers, collies, setters. I just think they seem like lovely dogs and as they are quite calm I would be able to train one to be left whilst my partner and myself are working (although my mum and grandparents have offered to pop in at lunchtimes), especially if I got one at the start of the summer holidays I would have two months to focus on training (as I should be a teacher by then so will have school holidays). I enjoy walking dogs and would happily walk it 2-3 times a day and I would like to have a go at dog agility or cani X, even though I know this isn't the most suitable breed for these activities I would just like me and the dog to have a hobby we could do together to strength our bond.

I just wanted to know if greyhound rescue places will let full time workers adopt as I know some rescue places have policies on this. I have no cats or children, any experiences or stories on adopting greyhounds or help and information gratefully recieved!

2. rona

rona Guest

Why don't you email or phone them and have a chat
    It can't hurt :)

3. nerd of prey

I emailed one and they didn't reply, so I felt all rejected! I can't get burned like that again!!!

Only Joking, I emailed my local one and they haven't replied yet (That was last thursday) I would feel silly ringing when I am not in a position to provide a home at the moment, I would feel like I was wasting their time.

4. rona

rona Guest

A lot of people spend years researching the dog they want, I'm sure the rescue would be impressed that you are thinking about things so seriously, and can't imagine that they would be anything but pleased.
    Better than some just turning up on a whim :)

5. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

They won't think your wasting their time, they will be pleased that you are thinking it through responsibly and your taking your time to do things properly. I know a few rescue greys who's owners work full time, like you they have people who will go in to walk the dogs at lunch time or one lady's grey goes to doggie day care a few days a week.
    Greyhounds make fantastic pets and most of the ones I know get on great with small furries ( not all of them do ) as well, one actually is so well trained that if his owner lifts up his hand and say's bang the dog will fall down dead :D, it's hilarious to watch it looks like slow motion.
    Terri

6. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

I adopted 2 retired greyhounds and my partner and i were both working full time. I only worked locally so would come home and let them out at lunchtime and would get a dog walker to do so if if that wasn't possible in future. They both sleep virtually all day even if i am home.

Its never too soon to research, it took me 7yrs before i was in the position to adopt one. You could always volunteer walk dogs, meet & greets and go along to any shows they do in the meantime. Responses may be slow so don't be put off, some groups are small and don't have many volunteers and of course admin comes after the dogs.

If they will adopt to full-time workers is very much down to the individual groups, a lot will and some won't. The RGT groups do not all have the same policies either as they are run as individual groups. What area do you live in?

7. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

If you think you could cope with a greyhound as well as working full time and the greyhound rescues are not prepared to let you have one you try looking on greyhound data. There are often greyhounds in the classifieds free to good homes or quite cheap. We got our Button through these ads. The only thing is they are coming straight from the trainers kennels and many have never been in a house before. Some of them even provide leads collars and dishes for their retired dogs. Make sure you look in the right place as there are ads for UK, Ireland, Australia and other places you have to sellect at the top were you are.

8. nerd of prey

Thanks for all the help! Especially useful to hear from people with Greyhounds who work full time. I think I will contact my local rescue centre again and see if they need any volunteers, that would also help me learn more about the dogs and the more I know the better.

It was also useful to know that there are other routes to adopt a retired greyhound although I think I would rather go through a rescue for the first dog at least, as they may be able to match me with a dog that best fits my circumstances. But it's always good to know other options exist.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice