Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Green tank HELP PLEASE

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by Taff40, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Taff40

Taff40 PetForums Newbie

Good morning,

I desperately need help. I have a 6 month old goldfish who my daughter brought home from the fair (I know). I have researched requirements for looking after him and he is currently in a 105 litre tank with filter. I am eventually purchasing an outdoor pond for him as I know they grow. Problem is since I have introduced him to his tank from a 25litre there is a constant green tinge to the water. I have tried everything, water changes, liquids etc. I recently used Pure aquarium balls and he really seems unhappy. I have one more liquid to try 'Green away but I don't think this will help.' Can I get some sound advice please I don't know what else to do? All water tests have come back as normal except I high ammonia spike since adding the Pure Aquarium balls.

Attached Files:

2. NaomiM

NaomiM PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome to the forum.

First of all, well done for researching and getting a large tank for your fish and planning to move him to a pond :)

The green water (algae bloom) combined with the ammonia spike sounds like your tank isn't cycled. When you moved him over, did you move the filter and/or filter media from the old tank? If not, all the good bacteria from the old filter that process the toxins in the water will have been lost, and you need to establish a new colony of them in the new filter. Until this is complete, your fish will be exposed to damaging levels of toxins.

The priority at the moment is dealing with the ammonia. To do this, you need to test the water daily, and do a 50% water change any day that the ammonia reads over 0.25 ppm. Also, dose the tank daily with a whole-tank dose of Seachem Prime. This replaces your usual water conditioner and also detoxifies ammonia and nitrite. If you can't get hold of Prime, you can use Ammolock, in which case you'll need to use your normal dechlorinator in the new water too.

How much do you feed? Overfeeding contributes to both algae and ammonia issues. Cut the feeds down to one small pinch every two days until ammonia and nitrite are reading 0.

Are your plants live or plastic/silk? If you don't have any live plants, you can keep the tank lighting turned off to help reduce the algae. If you do have live plants, try cutting the lighting period down to 4 hours per day.

Taff40, magpie and LinznMilly like this.
  3. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Submissive Servant to My Lord and Lady Mutts
    Staff Member

Looks like an algae bloom. That in itself isn't what's making the fish unhappy (you'll probably be in a constant fight with the stuff once you have your pond). It's the ammonia that's upsetting him. The algae is just unsightly to us.

@NaomiM has given you excellent advice on how to treat both problems, so I'll leave you in her capable hands. :)

Taff40 and NaomiM like this.
  4. Taff40

Taff40 PetForums Newbie

Hello,

When I set the new tank I used quick start and also placed the old filter to run alongside the new one. I'm guessing this wasn't enough of a cycle! I've just noticed he/She hasn't eaten food. I'm in the army and come home on weekends so my partner might have not noticed. Do I add the Seachem to the buckets prior to adding to tank? As for decorations and plants I only have two rocks in there. It's very frustrating as it has become somewhat of a hobby now and I enjoy looking after 'My daughter's fish' (mine)

5. Taff40

Taff40 PetForums Newbie

Thank you for this information! I appreciate it

6. Taff40

Taff40 PetForums Newbie

Anyway there's our fish! I think he looks ok for a fairground Goldie

Attached Files:

LinznMilly likes this.
  7. NaomiM

NaomiM PetForums VIP

You can either do this or add it directly to the tank before pouring the new water in. Either way, use enough for the whole volume of the tank as long as you have ammonia/nitrite present.

Once the toxins are gone, you can use it just as a water conditioner and only treat the buckets of new water.

LinznMilly likes this.
  8. Taff40

Taff40 PetForums Newbie

Thank you very much Naomi. Hopefully I can sort both these issues out with perseverance!

LinznMilly likes this.
  9. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice