Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Green sticky balls in Cats fur?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Wrathlorien, Jul 19, 2021.

1. Wrathlorien

Wrathlorien PetForums Newbie

My Cat came in earlier and she had two of these things stuck to the fur under her chin, and one I later found on her tail. They're green balls with white fur kinda stuff all over them. I just about shit myself thinking it was rat poison, but after investigating online, people are saying they're a form of plant seed? Goosegrass, aka Sticky Willies, supposedly. But just for the sake of my anxiety, could I get confirmation on this?

2. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Yes they are found normally amongst weeds, they are like Velcro :Hilarious

relax now :)

Treaclesmum and Lunarags like this.
  3. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

This is the weed, it’s easy to pull out, but you will be covered in tiny Velcro balls

BF5E289F-F762-4F7E-8280-C5D728097375.jpeg

Treaclesmum and Lunarags like this.
  4. Lunarags

Lunarags Dedicated cat slave

Mine used to get covered in these. Nothing to worry about but need to be removed before they cause matts

5. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

The easiest way to remove the sticky willies is to run a comb over your cats coat:)

6. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

They are the work of the devil especially in long haired animals . Meeko is confined to his run in the garden so never gets them in his coat but when I had my Afghan Hounds it could be a days work untangling them from their coats . Horrible bl**dy things :mad:

Treaclesmum, Tigermoon and ewelsh like this.
  7. Wrathlorien

Wrathlorien PetForums Newbie

Thanks all. I really appreciate the kind and patient responses. Definitely takes one hell of a weight off my shoulders. Somehow I've just managed to go my whole life as a Cat owner without encountering these things.

I would have posted some pics of said Cat as an additional thanks of sorts, but unfortunately that doesn't seem to be allowed by the system. :(

8. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

After spending some time weeding in my back garden I came in covered in the bl**dy things - took ages to pick them off my clothes :eek:

Treaclesmum and ewelsh like this.
  9. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

Goosegrass is an annual. I always try to remove as many of the plants as possible early in the year. They have tiny white flowers and are not so sticky when young. Even the leaves and stems stick later on so the seeds can be spread a long way from the plants. It is a never ending battle but does cut down the number of the wretched things the next year.

10. cava14 una

cava14 una Anne two black and white boys and a Nortie Tortie

My Bearded Collies used to get these. One would pull them out of her coat and spit them in the floor and the other pulled them out and ate them
    :eek:

ewelsh likes this.
  11. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

My wirehaired dachshunds are always pickng them up, they cause matting particularly in my female. My dog comb is in constant use!

12. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

The worst thing ever is when a pony gets its mane and tail full of them - that's a real job, a solid mess.

13. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

I dread it when my English Springer Spaniel gets into the fields, her ears and tail are matted with the damn things.

How can such small things cause so much havoc :Hilarious

14. Willow_Warren

Willow_Warren PetForums VIP

How have you got this far through life wybo it encountering them :Hilarious

Not sure exactly what happened but one day Lola came absolutely covered in them… she wasn’t keen on me removing them either…

possibly more annoying but slightly less disgusting than when then come in with little slugs attached :Yuck

15. Isolette

Isolette PetForums Member

Ah stickybobs. Childhood memories. We used to throw them at each other and if they got In your hair...They were treasured and very common

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice