Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Green Army

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Beagle Mafia, May 2, 2011.

1. Beagle Mafia

Beagle Mafia Guest

I am not a fan of football at all but I do like to get behind my local team (Plymouth Argyle AKA the Pilgrims) and do follow Leeds United (old family tradition). I rarely know what’s going on however on a day trip with my parents the football has been playing on the radio and well there’s no escaping it. It has been a rather turbulent time for Plymouth Argyle the last few years and today they have been relegated for the 2nd time in 2 years.

So often I find myself complaining about the passion in football being lost…the wages being too high and the job being easy but just wanted to say that the spirit in Argyle the last few months has been faultless. They have fought to the bitter end without wages, some have given up treasured possessions to raise the funds to keep the club going and they have battled despite having a broken, deflated team many of whom have injuries.

The fans have given up time, money and auctioned possessions to keep the club going in fact one local 8 year old boy gave up his last 56p from his piggy bank to save the club. The manager auctioned off his FA cup medal and staff have worked without pay. The management have failed and I doubt the Pilgrims will be around in a few years time… 125 years of history :(

At the end of the day although very sad to see a once promising team and possibly Plymouth’s main claim to fame :D fade away the team spirit and attitude displayed by all the players I think shows so much. A sad day for Plymouth but I hope that it shows the spirit and teamwork is still present in English football :) and still present amongst communities.

I think regardless of your thoughts on Football or sport in general this is a good lesson for all it’s not the winning but the taking part that counts :)

I know i wouldn't get out of bed...go to work for free for the love of my job :lol:

2. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

What a nice gesture giving his pocket money over, now that is dedication. I agree it isn't the winning it IS the taking part and doing the best you can.:D

3. Staysee

Staysee PetForums VIP

My mum, dad and sister say thats very well said of you.

They went to the southampton game today and were in the thick of it.

Southampton fans had bought tickets within the argyle fans...and to say it was bad...hahah but no argyle fan started anything, it was all instigated by the southampton fans, they reckon a few southampton fans are being treated in hospital due to thier reckless and stupid actions amongst the argyle fans.

My parents have followed argyle since they were little kids and they are in thier 50's and have seen them up and down and not stopped supporting and still today clapped them and said its time for a fresh start....away from the likes of kugami [i dunno how its spelt haha] and the others who have not helped in anyway

And really hope peter reed stays as he's now so well admired for all he has done.

You cant fault the spirit at that club from the staff behind the scenes to the fans supporting the teams.....

Mum, dad and sis are questionion some players tho as only a couple came over and applauded the fans, the rest just left....does it not hurt to thank your fans who have never stopped chanting for you?

Anyways, well said BM, your well loved in this house hold now for that!

4. skyblue

skyblue PetForums VIP

being a coventry city supporter i can sympathise with every single argyle fan out there,it was only a few years ago that we were broke,30 minutes from administration and what would of been automatic relegation to league 1....we were taken over at the last minute and now things are starting to show some promise...so i say to every argyle fan out there,dont dispair because better times could be right around the corner

5. Beagle Mafia

Beagle Mafia Guest

:eek: thanks :)

Someone loves me afterall :eek:

6. Beagle Mafia

Beagle Mafia Guest

It's weird the other team I follow were ina similar position I'd love to see Leeds go up and thrash Man U one day ;)

It's depressing but what it shows is that people can rally together from the Strategic Defence Review, budget cuts etc people from one community can unite and show solidarity... I moan about Plymouth but pretty proud of the place ;)

7. skyblue

skyblue PetForums VIP

the wierdest thing about plymouth is that when they were in the championship were were their big awayday,the local derby even though plymouths on the south coast and we're in the midlands...it was the travelling time i think

8. Beagle Mafia

Beagle Mafia Guest

I adored Ian Holloway he did great things at the club but the directors were so far up their bums they couldn't keep him. I think his departure started the decline of Argyle.

I am not a serious fan...I used to teach/volunteer at the PFS Pilgrim centre for disadvantaged/underachieving pupils. The club is amazing and I hope they continue to make the difference to the community :)

9. Squeeze

Squeeze PetForums VIP

Well said...!!

Relegation hurts... Two years in a row hurts... But what hurts more is the 10 points deduction...
    Even more revenue lost now and possibly even lower attendance in league two...
    Roy Gardner, Keith Todd and their fellow cowboys have got a lot to answer for...!

Just hope a decent buyer comes forward in the close season... Re-group and keep fighting...!

WE ARE ARGYLE...!!

10. Beagle Mafia

Beagle Mafia Guest

I am a supporter...not a huge footie fan but yes relegation hurts :)

Plymouth can bounce back :)

This City need Argyle shame on PCC for not helping...that silly old cow Pengelly was quick enough to sponge off Argyle when there was a World Cup bid to fight for and a trip funded by taxpayers to SA but couldn't save Argyle when they needed it - shame on them!!

What the council do not realise is an already struggling city with naval Ships being decommissioned, airport closing, crappy railway networks and a motorway that ends in Exeter ....Plymouth is fast becoming a ghost town. The revenue brought in by Argyle kept some businesses afloat now there will not be the trade and prospect in league 2.

The Life Centre...student flats etc will not do anything for this city.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice