Greedy vets

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Vagb, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Vagb

Vagb PetForums Newbie

My step daughter has had 2 rabbits die recently, a few months ago lily died unfortunately playing in her activity centre she had built for her in the front garden, I phoned the pet crematorium which was about 20 miles away and made an appointment to drop her off, I did so and paid £153 for the cremation and the lovlely urn in which it came, they. Advised that I could have dropped her off at the vets to be collected, they did drop her off there once cremated for us to collect, them last week Ben who was 9yrs old died of old age, I rang the vets to ask if the crematorium would collect him to save me the time, they said yes and gave me a price of £203, I though I didn’t pay that much last time so rang the crematorium up to ask a price again, I was again quoted £153. I then realised the vets had put a £50 collection charge on, which I was very angry about, the rabbit was dead so therefore no need for any care, I found this disgusting so contacted trading standards who said they saw it as an invitation to treat, treat a dead rabbit wrapped up and in a bag, how many animal owners are being fleeced by the sheer greed by vets and exploitation just by doing the right thing.

2. Vanessa131

Vanessa131 PetForums VIP

The vet is unable to store the bodies of our pets for free, they are also unable to deal with third parties for free.

Jamesgoeswalkies and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

Firstly sorry to hear about the loss of your step daughter's two rabbits.

I wonder if you could tell me though, how would the rabbit have got to the crematorium from the vets? and how would the rabbit have been stored at the vets whilst waiting to be transferred to the crematorium?

4. Vagb

Vagb PetForums Newbie

It was going to be there for 10 mins, the collection was 10.30am, I ran them at 10am so it would have been there for 10-15 mins, £50 is rather extreme for that plus I have been informed that family run vets don’t charge for this.

5. Vagb

Vagb PetForums Newbie

The crematorium do the collections, the vet only has to open the door.

6. Vagb

Vagb PetForums Newbie

Also if there was 10 animals there to be collected, 10x £50 = £500, not a bad days work for doing next to nothing, wonder if that’s declared to the tax man

7. urbantigers

urbantigers PetForums VIP

Presumably there is paperwork involved in facilitating the collection for you. The vets are providing a service and can't be expected to provide this for free. I'm sorry that you've suffered the loss of 2 rabbits recently. It's always difficult when you lose a pet but you still have to pay for things like having a pet put to sleep and also for the service they provide when liaising with third parties.

8. rottiepointerhouse

Yes I can see £50 would seem rather a lot if it was literally for 10 mins but if the crematorium collect why not have them collect from you and avoid involving the vets?

Clearly there is an issue of trust here which you don't have so can I respectfully suggest you find yourself another vet whom you do trust. As you have mentioned yours is not a family run vet we can only assume it is a larger practice, perhaps a chain and if so I think it highly unlikely they would risk not declaring their income.

9. Vagb

Vagb PetForums Newbie

You’re all obviously vets on here, because everyone else I’ve told is disgusted by this and I’m a taxi driver so I have told quite a lot of people, I had 5 pets with them and they’ve had thousands off me in the past, it’s just greed, out of hours consultations are £100+, we’re all animals lovers and when anilamls suffer it hurts. Suffice to say I’m not using this company anymore and my new vets don’t charge for this service so your argument is totally blown out of the water

10. urbantigers

urbantigers PetForums VIP

We're all vets because we don't agree with you? Out of hours consultations are £100+ at all vets. They are not charities. I'm glad you've found a vet you're happy with.

11. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

No need to resort to rudeness because we don't agree with you.

Vets are not a Charity. Of course they charge for their services as I assume you do driving a taxi.

Katalyst and simplysardonic like this.
  12. Ceiling Kitty

Ceiling Kitty PetForums VIP

Costs me £15 to get a taxi from my house to the railway station. It would cost me a fraction of that for fuel if I was to drive myself! What a rip-off. I think the taxi drivers are just in it for the money.

13. Little P

Little P PetForums VIP

Pets are a luxury and their health care costs.

Of course vets charge higher rates for out of hours services, just like as a taxi driver, you charge higher rates after certain times, bank holidays etc.

I'm sure you'll be making a mint on fares after midnight tonight.

14. rottiepointerhouse

Don't be silly, we are all animal lovers but that doesn't mean we all agree with your opinion of your previous vets. Thats fine, its a free country and just as we are free to disagree with you, you are free to change vets.

15. Vagb

Vagb PetForums Newbie

The millions of animal lovers in this country certainly know that, that’s why there’s so many abandoned animals because there owners simply can’t afford the barbaric charges, yes barbaric!! My partner had to work Xmas day and will be at work tomorrow, she will get Time and a half caring for dementia sufferers who’ve served a purpose all their lives, vets charge x3 or x4 if you’re unlucky enough for your pet to take ill on a weekend, animal cruelty is totally out of control and vets have to take some responsibility for it. I’m not naive in thinking they didn’t work hard to get where they are in life and deserve rewarded with a good income, I also understand the running costs of a business. My original point was about a needless charge, I don’t and will never see any justification for this.

16. Vagb

Vagb PetForums Newbie

17. Vagb

Vagb PetForums Newbie

We get 20% more not 300-400%

18. Vagb

Vagb PetForums Newbie

Erm well it is a job, it costs £60 a day to get out of bed, fuel costs, insurance, my rank charges me £24 a shift to work there and some days I only make £60 and go home making a loss, if it’s so easy try it!!

19. Little P

Little P PetForums VIP

Maybe you should retrain as one of these mythical minted vets?

I'd be interested to know what you think a vets salary is...

Katalyst likes this.
  20. Vagb

Vagb PetForums Newbie