Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Greedy or Hungry Cat ?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Milly22, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Hello,

My kitten of 16 weeks refuses biscuits.

At the moment she is eating kitten Hi-Life. Now the thing is she eats LOTS .

OH can feed her at 6am (1 pouch)

I get up 7/8/9/10am depending and she has another pouch.

Lunchtime/dinner time (2/3/4ish) she has another pouch.

Then bedtime she squeals and squeals for another pouch.

So that's 4 pouches daily and she just ate one whole peice of my wholemeal toast without me seeing her. Ate it all...... 00:eek:00

So at the moment she is on 3 boxes per week of food.

She has been wormed and warned (not to touch toast) :D

Normal ? ish ?

2. normal!

My adults when given pouches have around 4 each a day and none of them are overwight. I will say though that given the chance they would eat a pouch every time i entered the kitchen.

Hilife is much better than biccys and much more tempting, so i would give up with the dry for now. Some cats wont ever eat dry.

Your kitten is growing, if she starts to look overweight then just cut back a bit on the portion sizes.

Mine are all on raw diet, but they have free feeding of arden grange biccys, yet they eat hardly any of the biccys. I do give mine forthglade trays which although not quite as high quality as highlife, is still a very very good quality diet, and they only use proper meat (not that dried up reconstituted crap). I find forthglade to be much more economical than the other high meat content foods and its easier for neighbours to feed if i am going out.

Another high meat content food you could try for your kitten is feline fayre - its 60-80% meat or fish, and in asda at the moment they have a 12 pack for £2, or 4 pouches for £1.

Hope it helps x

3. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

Goodness, I was shocked when I was feeding my first cat as a kitten. She would eat & eat & eat. Admittedly, I only gave her one pouch a day but her dry food that I leave out all day was emptied several times a day!!! If Ragdolls are like Maine Coons, I think a lot of it is down to SOOOO much growth at about 14 weeks plus!

4. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Thanks that's great I might nip to asda today and mix some feline fayre in with hers. I did attempt the dry food mixed with wet again yesterday but she just started pawing it, like she was hiding it from me, in disgust! :D

Okay, so this is all normal, good to hear. Her tummy feels full now, I have to admit since posting this she has had another 3/4 pack. Perhaps because she doesn't eat the biccies/dry food at night she is ultra-hungry of a morning! :D

I just bathed her last night too and now her chest is all foody again! :rolleyes: :)

Thank you

5. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

I agree its totally normal for them to eat alot at that age!

I also tried Asda Feline Fayre unfortunately my kitties wouldnt eat it! but its good value for money - I think you will find its just under £2 for 8 pouches and not 12 though. You can buy 4 seperately for £1 though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice