Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Great holiday cottages - sticky?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by MollySmith, Sep 28, 2012.

1. MollySmith

MollySmith PetForums VIP

I wondered if it might be possible to set up a thread of places that are great for a holiday in the UK? I am trying to find somewhere in Lincolnshire coast, Norfolk or Suffolk that is great for dogs - access to beach and enclosed garden.

I am sure I can't be the only one and wondered if it was possible to share some links on here for good self catering places that really do welcome pets. I've stayed in a few that are okay but not truly pet friendly due to cliffs nearby or the garden isn't really closed in at all.

I'll kick off with this place

No.4 Lily Terrace, Self Catering Accommodation in Torcross, near Dartmouth

Good point - tiled or laminate floors downstairs. The back garden has 3ft fence and gate. Right on a dog friendly 365 days of the year beach.

Bad points - front garden wall is low and dogs are not allowed upstairs or on furniture. No throws provided to protect against this

2. Labrador Laura

Labrador Laura PetForums VIP

I think this would be a great sticky, though I have no links or reviews on a cottage I'm looking for somewhere to go in February, I have a week booked off and we're planning on going away. So this thread would be a great help as searching through websites can be a pain.

Lupop likes this.
  3. MollySmith

MollySmith PetForums VIP

I would much rather have a recommendation than rely on a brochure. Last thing I would want is to get somewhere and find the fence is mini size and Molly could get out or the promised beach has a new rule in place banning dogs.

Lupop likes this.
  4. ebonyblack

ebonyblack PetForums Senior

Yes great idea :) would love a dog friendly B and B and one that offered dog sitting so we could go to the pub... Well it is our holiday too ;)

Lupop likes this.
  5. delca1

delca1 PetForums VIP

A brilliant idea, it would be good to have recommendations on a personal level, it is really hard to find ideal places to go to.
    We went to Wales a few weeks ago and stayed in a fantastic dog friendly house - I will find the link tomorrow, no time now coz I told my son I'd give him a lift to work in a minute!!

:):)

6. BoredomBusters

BoredomBusters PetForums VIP

Tomorrow I'm off to a cottage near Hunstanton in Norfolk for a few days. With 3 small dogs a secure garden was essential, although I do sometimes find people think secure means 'a labrador couldn't get through that gap' and forget the littlies!

She would have let me take all 4 dogs, but I want to do a lot of walking, especially on beaches and my elderly Greyhound won't enjoy that. I'll review it when I get back for you!

Deb'sdogs likes this.
  7. Quinzell

Quinzell PetForums VIP

Love this idea

8. Phoolf

Phoolf PetForums VIP

Well I'll add my two pence after just staying somewhere.

Welcome to Filey Holiday Cottages

Just stayed in one of their 2 bed cottages (just one floor, no stairs for big dogs which is a plus). Very clean and inviting, freeview TV, all kitchen utensils you'll need, very soft double bed with great pillows. They have a fenced in small doggy den area where you can let them off lead on the premises otherwise they want you to put them on lead anywhere else.

Pluses: Great location for driving to beaches (Scarborough). Filey beach allows dogs on the whole stretch from September 30th until I think April/May time, otherwise it's the end bit of the beach where dogs are allowed all the time.

Minuses: Cottage rules say no dogs on furniture or in bedrooms. Also the cottage we stayed in was glass fronted which is great for views but if you have a guardian dog they do tend to just stay at the window barking at everyone as I found out with miss barky here.

9. soulful dog

soulful dog PetForums Senior

If anyone is looking for somewhere really out of the way, I'd highly recommend taking a look at The Bubble, up at Loch Awe (Oban is the nearest town). The owner is a bit mad I think, but there were some nice touches and we really loved it.

It is really, really quiet and very out of the way though, so only for those wanting complete quiet & relaxation, with nothing to do but walk your dog (the log cabin is lovely and very well equipped though, it has a TV, computer, hi-fi, CDs and books) The local shop is very basic, you need to take as much as possible with you!

I think you could only take a couple of dogs at most, it's not big, and there's not any secured, fenced off area for them to run about, but we hardly saw another soul, or dog when we were there, and it's so remote there's not too many cars to worry about either!

It's in Dalavich to be exact, which is just under 30 miles from Oban, but it's a 50min to 1hr drive, because there's a 12 mile stretch of single track road along the side of Loch Awe.

The Bubble, Loch Awe, Argyll
    The Bubble - owners website

Ringo poses during one of the nearby walks:
    [​IMG]

#9 soulful dog, Sep 29, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
    Meg devine likes this.
  10. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

I know Tarnus set up a pet forums member's map. If someone has the time maybe a similar map would be useful.

11. delca1

delca1 PetForums VIP

TREFIW, NORTH WALES This is a dog friendly house to stay in. The main building has 4 double bedrooms, 3 ensuites, one huge bathroom and a wet room. We booked for 6 adults and two dogs, it was fabulous! Lovely, quiet location. Not the cheapest but we split the cost 3 ways which made it very reasonable.The Old Rectory Holiday Cottage, Trefriw, North Wales, UK

12. rona

rona Still missing my boys

South Pembrokeshire

Little Dumpledale Farm

Any amount of dogs welcome and owners are the most dog friendly you could find.

#12 rona, Sep 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
    Meg devine likes this.
  13. MollySmith

MollySmith PetForums VIP

Thank you moderator in charge bods for making this a sticky!

I'm going to add on this place
    https://www.ruralretreats.co.uk/index.html#property,propref=CW035

For: if your dog in a Dino and needs space then this is great as it's the only cottage in a block of 4 that accepts dogs and being a lighthouse it's on it's own. Lots of space and leather sofas so easy to clean. Nice hand hallway for wet dog wiping. Nice on lead walk along the coastal road to the Padstow lifeboat. Nearby are Constantine and Harwick Bays for off lead play. Harwick Bay is lovely, really empty.

Against: not that well enclosed. There was a small gap in the fence that worried me and there are lots of cliff edges. No dogs on furniture or beds (confess we took lots of throws). Very expensive!

Pupcakes likes this.
  14. rottiemum

rottiemum PetForums VIP

Fantastic idea!

We went here last year:

The Cottage in Culkein Drumbeg, nr. Lochinver | Property details | Holiday cottages in the UK, France, Ireland, Spain and Portugal | cottages4you

There are other cottages on the road, and the owner lives in a new build just down the road. However, we never saw the owner at all!

The garden is fully enclosed. No issues. Although you should check for sheep across the road before letting the dog out...but they usually kept well away.

Rule is no dogs on furniture or upstairs, but we took our sofa covers; and there is no stair gate, so she came up but slept outside the bedroom.

The doors (at time of visit) do not latch well (indoors) - we had to put a dresser against the bedroom door.

But for all that, it's really remote (Drumbeg); the road, as one comment says, is a candidate for Alton Towers!
    Good walks, beaches in driving distance - quite remote & beautiful. Very relaxing & peaceful. Loved it. :thumbup:

15. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Looks lovely but way too far for a southerner :(. X

16. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Rep for you OP. what a bloody brilliant idea! Xx

17. sprollie16

sprollie16 PetForums Member

We stayed here with our two dogs in August 2012
    4 star self catering cottage at Errogie South Loch Ness

Lianachan, South Loch Ness

Good points - very friendly owners that live next door but not too friendly ;) and will leave you to your own devices
    Dogs not allowed on furnitiure but we took throws and as the 2 sofas were leather it was not a problem.
    Good walks straight from the cottage will a lovely small loch at the bottom of the driveway, good for night time swims.

Really big garden, well enclosed, our dogs loved it our there rummaging through the ferns; they were barely in the house!!!

Overall, a really well equipped cottage :D

Bad points:thumbdown: I guess that the living room and kitchen being open plan was a bit of a pain - there was no where for wet or muddy dogs to go. The kicthen floor was lino but it had carpet in the living room - I don't think we saw the carpet much at all, we pretty much covered the entire place in blankets :rolleyes:

The other bad point - Colin and Meg collected more tics in one day than they had in their lives *shudder*

18. BethanyDog

BethanyDog PetForums Newbie

I've always just been a reader of the forums and have never posted, but after reading through this thread I thought it was about time I spoke up! Last month we stayed in a lovely holiday cottage in Benenden, Kent called Freshwater Barn with our Border Collie, Bethany.

[​IMG]

As most of you will know a holiday with a Collie doesn't involve much sitting around! We used the cottage as a base for exploring the area and at the end of the path we had access to some great walks through woodland and fields. Camber Sands and Whitstable beaches were a short drive so we spent a few days by the sea trying to wear her out (unsuccessfully :laugh:). By the evening we were pretty tired and retired to the local pub, The Bull, which also welcomed dogs.

The cottage itself was really nicely furnished. It's all on one level, with hard wood floors throughout apart from in the bedroom. We kept the door shut to the bedroom as the linen was white, and put a throw on the sofa. The owner was lovely and made us a cake for when we arrived. She keeps chickens in the garden and so Bethany had to be kept on the lead when they were out. Once they were safely put away then she was able to run around, and enjoyed playing with the owner's dog.

All in all I think this would make an ideal base for a holiday with your dog, especially if like us you'll be spending most of the day out and about. We booked through Pet Friendly Cottages and were very happy with our short break... and so was Bethany!

19. MirandaA1

MirandaA1 PetForums Member

Try this, in Pembrokeshire: Brynceirios Brochure

I have to confess an interest - it belongs to my step-mother and her family. But it is a truly magical place - dogs allowed in the cottage, and fantastic dog walking - mountains (well, hills), big sandy beaches, coast path, rock pools. Our dogs just love it.:)

The garden is fenced, and where it isn't, it leads into a big field (part of the cottage), which is fenced.

And it's not just about the dogs - good food locally, very comfortable cottage.

20. GingerRogers

GingerRogers PetForums VIP

Don't have any real recommendations except to say that I know quite a few of the holiday cottages round here allow dogs as so many of the owners have dogs, for Molly Smith, we are near Southwold.

Plus the pubs are mostly ALL dog friendly - so many people comment on it.

We have always taken it for granted, until we stayed in a cottage in Anglesey at Henllys HAll, a couple of years ago, they allowed dogs (it was one of those timesharey things M&D rented) and smoking which was quite odd (all they asked was that cigars be smoked with the windows open and they preferred it if you didn't smoke in the bedrooms) it was a golf club but there were some amazing woodland walks set out as well, but nowhere else we went was dog friendly, it was OH's birthday and Mum finally managed to get the Italian place that night to allow us a table in their courtyard, luckily it was a warm night. We are very lucky to live where we do (not that the ninja can go in most of the pubs until she stops shouting)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice