Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Great Danes!!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by JessIncaFCR, Sep 9, 2013.

1. JessIncaFCR

JessIncaFCR PetForums VIP

We were walking in the fields by us today and a guy came in with 2 huge great danes! :D

There was a female and a male and they were gorgeous :001_wub: He asked if our two were female as the male doesn't like other males. He let the male off and Jessie went over to see them (Inca ignored them as she was too focused on her ball :lol: )

They had a good sniff of each other, and Jessie was very good and controlled! I was a bit nervous as the dogs were so huge and about 3 or 4 times the size of her!! But, they were amazing with each other, and Jessie, despite being so small compared, kept the male in his place :lol: She wouldn't put up with him doing anything pushy!! Inca meanwhile was fixated on her ball and completely ignored them!:lol:

The dogs were so gorgeous and I got to say hello to the female and she was lovely :001_wub: So gentle and so big!!

First time I have ever seen a great dane that close and been able to say hello to them too :) I loved them :001_wub:

What other nice dogs have y'all seen on your walks? :)

2. Wyrekin

Wyrekin PetForums VIP

I bumped in to a Great Dane on my walk the other day. It was called Mylo and was 3 years old. I put Malcolm in a sit stay when I saw it as the owner had it on a short lead but after a quick chat we established ours were both boisterous dogs so he let Mylo go. Malcolm on the other hand remained firmly routed to the spot, completely unsure of such a big dog.

Once they'd said hello though they had great fun racing round together!

I've also seen someone unload a Great Dane from an old Mini. So funny :lol:!

3. Lauren5159

Lauren5159 Lover of Terriers, loser of the plot.

I love Great Danes! My aunt used to have FOUR :001_tt1:

As for dogs I've met on my walks and fell in love with?... Standard Poodles :001_tt1: I never, ever thought I was a Poodle owner but now, I can't wait to be able to add one to my household. Magnificent dogs up close. They just make every other dog in the park look scruffy and incompetent :D

4. BenBoy

BenBoy Banned

My friend has a Great Dane called Balthazar!

Here he is with me;

[​IMG]

Ben and Balthazar with a stick

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. DollyGirl08

DollyGirl08 PetForums VIP

He is gorgeous Benboy!

I love danes, and would LOVE to own one someday...just the lifespan that puts me off, would be so sad to see them start to age at what seems like such a young age.

My godmother had a fawn bitch called Dutchess when I was a kid, and I used to sit and ride on her back :eek: oops. Would never do that now of course. Good thing I was small for my age.

6. BessieDog

BessieDog PetForums VIP

That third pic is just such a typical Dane pose - on the sofa! :D

My Great Dane lived to 11. His aunt, who I met when I collected him, was 13. Not bad ages.

I think you can find longer lived lines.

7. DollyGirl08

Wow they are great ages!
    I expect 8-9 to be a very old dane, but then I don't have a huge amount of experience with them, apart from my godmothers when I was very young and then just having admired them from afar.

8. BessieDog

BessieDog PetForums VIP

I knew. GD before I got mine. He died aged five. :(

My GD got arthritis at five, and from the age of seven, every Christmas I told my son this my be the last with him. I was trying to prepare him.

Bugger responded well to metacam and lived until 11. Son always reminds me what I said each Christmas. :rolleyes:

9. kate_7590

kate_7590 PetForums VIP

I really would LOVE a Great Dane one day :D

10. BenBoy

BenBoy Banned

He is the friendliest dog ever, my friend has just had a baby and he is so gentle. He has problems with his knees and hips at the moment and is on metacam and having physio hopefully him and Ben will be able to see each other again, he just gets too excited if Ben is around and over does it.

I would love one too maybe one day when I have time to feed and wait an hour before walkies!!

11. Apollo2012

Apollo2012 PetForums VIP

I've met a couple Great Danes and they are gorgeous I saw one dragging its owner and a little yorkie dog across the road one day when they started crossing it was quite comical (only because there were no cars around). I have a big soft spot for oldie dogs when out on walks especially yellow lab oldies though because they remind me of my old girl and make me want to cry.

12. shadowmare

shadowmare The dog doesn't bite, me on the other hand...

Oh I absolutely love Great danes!:001_tt1: If one day I will live in a house I will be desperate to get one. I just love black ones:001_tt1:

13. Owned By A Yellow Lab

Owned By A Yellow Lab PetForums VIP

We're supposed to do that with Labs too :)

RE GREAT DANES:

They're beautiful, there is a young male GD that I see occasionally, he's a pale beige and is STUNNING.

That being said, at a local park there were two GSs with different owners and neither owner had any control over their dog. It is sooo not funny when there is an out of control GD thundering across a field towards you :eek:

14. BenBoy

BenBoy Banned

Really?!

I wait half an hour with Ben...

15. SixStar

SixStar Banned

You don't do that already with a Labrador? I would wait three hours after feeding before exercising any breed prone to bloat.

16. MyMillie

MyMillie MillieMoo'sMum

Oh I'm sooo envious that you got to meet these so "gracious" dogs,
    on my travels to my nearest shop I have seen a chap with 2 of the most stunning Great Danes I ever saw! sadly its when I was driving on both occasions :(
    one was a Harlequin and the other was Red... they were breath taking dogs to say the least!.....I hope one day I get to meet them on our walk :D

17. Owned By A Yellow Lab

Owned By A Yellow Lab PetForums VIP

Sorry, I don't mean to sound critical, just want to warn you: Labs are prone to bloat, being deep chested dogs.

Ideally one should wait a good hour after feeding before exercising. Ditto after exercising - wait another hour.

I think there's a thread about bloat in the health forum.

18. BenBoy

BenBoy Banned

Does that apply just to gentle lead walking?

19. DollyGirl08

I personally don't walk at all after feeding.
    They get fed an hour after their walk, as I worry too much.

20. BenBoy

BenBoy Banned

Oh god :(

Looks like I need to set my alarm earlier tomorrow morning to feed him and wait an hour as opposed to half before a walk

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice