Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

great dane training, help!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by iceman, Jun 24, 2009.

1. iceman

iceman PetForums Junior

hi all, i have a 6 month ond great dane pup, he is a fine looking dog who i want to train for the show ring but im having a few problems, one time he will behave & the next he wont, can anyone give me some advice please, thanks.

2. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

He's still a pup, so he might be getting bored. Short bursts of training work the best and try to end training on a good note - quit whilst you're ahead!

Not much help I'm afraid, but I'll bump this up and see if other folks have more suggestions ;)

3. iceman

iceman PetForums Junior

thats what i am doing as i know they can get bored & he always gets a treat afterwards,i just think he is a big bold brat!lol :D
    yer sure if you can get more advise for me,thanks

4. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

Reward him if he does things right then leave it at that. Also you can try to find a good ringcraft class in your area.

5. iceman

iceman PetForums Junior

thats the problem there isnt any ring training classes in my area,shame really as i really want to do it

6. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

What are you rewarding him with?

He may not be very interested in the reward you're giving him, which isn't your fault - it's just a matter of what he likes best! I trained my dog with little pieces of Cheese, he went mad when he saw the pouch and he knew it was training time - he responded really well to it. So maybe find something your pup really likes (like cheese, pieces of chicken, ham, sausage or whatever) and try him on that :)

or if he's a more toy orientated dog, you could try giving him a ball or a squeaky toy as a reward, just make sure you can get it back from him easily, otherwise it'll turn into a game where he does something, gets the toy and then you chase him round for ages trying to get it back off him LOL

You're doing the right thing in just giving him short training sessions, so keep up with that, just maybe try changing the reward, try a few things and you'll find out what he responds best to :)

7. BigBearsRule

BigBearsRule PetForums Senior

I take my 5 month old Newfies to puppy class once a week for an hour. After that I train them at home in 3 or 4 minute bursts, walking around the garden doing heel work followed by either a stand, sit or down. That way they dont have time to get bored.
    As for treats I have found that mine really really respond to crabsticks, you can get 4 decent big dog sized treats out of each piece, theyre cheap too

8. iceman

iceman PetForums Junior

thanks for the tips, i have tried changing his treats but not gone as far as using meats or cheese, will give it a go though THANKS :) :D

9. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

Good luck! :D

Danes are my fave breed (not had the chance to own one yet though :() what colour is your pup? :D

10. iceman

iceman PetForums Junior

my pup is a boston,he has a white chest,whits stripe down his head & white toes. i have always wanted a dane myself & i finally got one. he is lovely & so warm & cuddley!

11. tiddlypup

tiddlypup PetForums VIP

always had danes,they are proper doofas dogs,idealy you will need to find a ringcraft class somewhere,at 6 mths hes old enough to start in the ring,go to these fun charity shows too,all good for training a youngster,not as embarassing when they play up,lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice