Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Great Dane Rescue Story - Bad Breeder? SAD

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by hazyreality, Aug 1, 2009.

1. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

I was told this story today and it sickened me, I cant understand these owners, the RSPCA or indeed the original breeder in this case.

A couple had 4 Great Danes, plus other animals, they split up - a story seen all too often - the woman took the dogs and 2 horses with her.
    She moved herself into a caravan, and shut the dogs in an old transit type van (in cages I think) because she had nowhere else to put them supposidly. The RSPCA were called and went and seized the 2 horse who were in a terrible condition, they said the dogs were ok :eek:ut:
    Obviously people who have certain breeds listen out for each other and next thing they hear, this woman has been taken to jail for stabbing or trying to stab the ex.
    When a concerned Dane breeder went to find out where the dogs were, they were found all tied to a Barbed Wire fence. :mad: One(an older girl) was dead on its lead, one died shortly after :( the other two(one male, one female) she took to her kennels to try and save. RSPCA did not want to know. :mad:
    She found out who the breeder of all 4 of the Danes was and they apparently are a well known one in the breed, they have a good reputation(i dont know the name, not that I would name a shame without every fact). When she contacted him about the 2 survivors, he in no more words said "he didnt have room" but to not let the female die because she was a litter mate to a champ!
    The lady who took them kept them with her and the female came into season shorty afetr so they had to be seperated, unforuntely the female died 48 hours later of bloat :( they think it was the stress of being taken away from the male but they had no choice. :(
    She contacted the original breeder about the male(who she has had for a few months now) who is looking much better but she hasnt really got the room, it isnt her dog, didnt come from her, and he said he didnt have the room but he could have it put to sleep! :eek:hmy::mad:
    Now, as far as I'm concerned any good breeder makes room for one of their dogs if it needs to come back. :confused:
    I think now it is to be rehomed from where it is.

It annoys me and it really saddens me that it could have got to the point of 3dead dogs, when it was investigated, and that the breeder wants nothing to do with it.
    I know I am not going to change anything putting it on here, but I had to get what I heard off of my chest so to speak.

*Heidi*

2. Nicci

Nicci Guest

Words fail me:(

3. Thorne

Thorne PetForums VIP

I am HORRIFIED that the RSPCA didn't confiscate the dogs when they took the horses! The whole thing sickens and saddens me, if the danes had been confiscated with the horses they would likely still be alive today :(

4. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

That is absolutely disgusting!! The poor dogs, and another reason to loose a little bit more faith in the RSPCA :(

5. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

That is so sad :( Those poor dogs!

If the horses were in so bad state they had to be taken, then it was obvious the woman could not cope! They should have taken all the animals!

And what kind of breeder would turn away one of its own pups that so badly needed a home?? :(

I met two lovely danes today, ther are staying with their family at the caravan site. They had been abandoned and the male has to wear a muzzle all the time because he freaks out when he gets uncomfortable. The family only wanted one dog, but they took both because they couldn't bear to seperate them :)

x

6. clueless

clueless Banned

Sad Story and bad breeder. Can I ask though how come someone found the 4 together again??? if the lady took 2 and left 2

7. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

that is awful but at the same time the rspca has no room for the dogs so would have been more then likely pts anyway. not condoningwhat they have done because its a well known fact they have billions at theri disposal but cant be arsed to build more kennels etc. greedy buggers.!!! glad one of them made it though

8. bichonsrus

bichonsrus PetForums Senior

How very sad. I can not believe that the breeder , ok so he/she didnt have room, fair enough but to say they could have it put down!!!!!!!!!!!! they bred that dog, bought it up from day one till week eight of its life, how on earth can they not feel something for that dog, i would willingly take back any pup i have sold even if it was on its last pegs!!!!fell really sad at how people have no feelings at all, this world is just sick!!

9. sandymaynard

sandymaynard PetForums Senior

Oh no poor dogs!
    that is a shame! Why do people do this! What else can i say except it makes me sick and angry!
    Sandy

10. Cassies-mum

Cassies-mum PetForums VIP

thats horrible :(

11. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

O.M.G thats awfull, the r.s.p.c.a's actions dont suprise me in the least, i have had a bad experience with them when we tried to rehome a dog years ago and to be honest they are a waste of space noone will ever change my mind or my opinion of them. Those poor, animals

12. Fenris

Fenris PetForums Junior

When someone has been taken to hospital (or prison) unexpectedly social services have a duty to preserve their property - in cases wjere there are dogs or other pets they usually kennel them at their expense.

Both the police and the RSPCA are well aware of this.

Also, if someone is over 60 and not coping with their animals the Cinnamon Trust can offer volunteers to help keep animals and people together. See:

The Cinnamon Trust - The National Charity for the elderly and their pets

The problem with the RSPCA is that instead of offering help to enable people who would normally care for their animals properly to get over a difficult patch in their lives, they insist on removing the animals and prosecuting, thus making matters far worse and ensuring that animals that could have remained in the home they knew with the people they loved end up in kennels and probably killed.

Why do RSPCA inspectors think it is beneath them to roll up their sleeves and help to clean up, do some shopping or whatever it takes to bring someone round and help them?

13. Sari

Sari PetForums Member

The OP said the lady took the dogs and 2 horses! You must be feeling clueless! :D;)

14. clueless

clueless Banned

Yewah but I thought there was 4 found in poor condition Doh!!!! So where was the other 2 found, so had the man also been ill treating the dogs he had been left with

15. Sari

Sari PetForums Member

Its a bit confusing but I don't think the man had been neglecting any dogs; he just didn't want them back. Its sad that anybody could turn their back on a dog they had previously owned.

16. caelsgirl

caelsgirl PetForums Junior

Oh look! Yet more officials letting down the general public! But are we really surprised by this??? A guy lives behind me, he has a gsd and he never walks the poor thing n keeps it locked out in a small passage way behind my garden, the poor thing constantly barks, and the neighbourhood kids wind it up, I have reported it to the RSPCA but they have done nothing. Unfortunatley this is not rare! you would've thought tht after the cruelty animals law was passed we'd see less and less of these cases but unfortunatly it just makes the RSPCA pass the buck! I will not be giving any donations to the RSPCA in the future I'd rather spend my money rescueing an animal myself!!!! At least we know what it's being used for!:cursing:

17. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

To clarify with the 4 being found. The RSPCA were called( I think by the woman who has now got the surviving dane) and they took the horses left the dogs. She was informed of that and therefore was listening out for news on them, she heard that the woman had been arrested and instantly thought of the dogs. Her friend who is a vet at a university found the 4 no longer in the van, now tied to a fence. 1 dead, 1 pretty much, and 2 in a bad way. She tried to help the really bad one, obviously on was beyond help then, then she contacted the lady who has the surviving one now to ask her if she could take them, for the time being.
    *Heidi*

#17 hazyreality, Aug 3, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  18. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

How awful...Them poor dogs..The breeder of the dog's sounds a complete ass if im honest and its proberly a good thing he didnt take the remaing dog back..

Story's like this really get to me its so cruel and evil.there really are some sick people around and they dont deserve to own pets! :eek:ut: :mad:

kerry :(:(:(

19. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Another RSPCA success story :rolleyes: :mad:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice