UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I've just taken on a new client for walking - a Great Dane pup who's 5 mths old. The owner asked me to walk her for half hour in morning and an hour in the afternoon.

Do you think this is too much for her??? I think so and explained the reasons why to the owner and she was aware also of the dangers of over exertion in larger breeds during puppy-hood.

She also asked me to feed her after the hour walk which I refused and explained I wouldn't feed deep-chested dogs until 2 hours after exercise but she thought about 40minutes was fine? What's generally your time frame for feeding deep-chest-ed's after exercise?!

:001_smile:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Dandogman- thanks for replying. Hmm, that's what I thought.

The owner is very overprotective of her pup and wants her tired out so when she's at work, the pup's not awake and anxious being on her own.

The owner thinks 40 minutes too - at the vets where I used to work back home in Ireland, we always recommended two hours?! I would say 'that's so Irish' but think I'd just be insulting myself there!

·
Registered
5,512 Posts
Hi Dandogman- thanks for replying. Hmm, that's what I thought.

The owner is very overprotective of her pup and wants her tired out so when she's at work, the pup's not awake and anxious being on her own.

The owner thinks 40 minutes too - at the vets where I used to work back home in Ireland, we always recommended two hours?! I would say 'that's so Irish' but think I'd just be insulting myself there!
I think she is going to do it more harm than good over exercising it too much. Kongs and other food toys can provid stimulation while she is at work if she thinks it is bored.
Well that is what I have read anyway. I don't have a giant breed so may be different for them.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
The pup should be walked for 5 mins of each month per day so in other words 25 mins on lead per day - she could end up with skeletal problems if she is walking the pup that much.

Feeding should be 1-2 before or after a walk.

·
Banned
19,241 Posts
Hi folks,

I've just taken on a new client for walking - a Great Dane pup who's 5 mths old. The owner asked me to walk her for half hour in morning and an hour in the afternoon.

Do you think this is too much for her??? I think so and explained the reasons why to the owner and she was aware also of the dangers of over exertion in larger breeds during puppy-hood.

She also asked me to feed her after the hour walk which I refused and explained I wouldn't feed deep-chested dogs until 2 hours after exercise but she thought about 40minutes was fine? What's generally your time frame for feeding deep-chest-ed's after exercise?!

:001_smile:
If it is on lead walking then I wouldn't do more than 20 minutes with a giant breed of that age. But if it is free running, that is different as the dog knows when he has had enough.

Certainly wouldn't feed him straight after a walk, I would leave at least an hour. With mine they have their breakfast really early then a couple of hours before I walk them, but I think an hour is fine the other way round.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.