UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who's watching and who have you got your money on?

I'd love to see James do it. Brendan is a smug little oik and does my head in. John is too erratic to call. :D

·
Registered
16,428 Posts
I really wanted Brendan to win! Can't believe John won as he has been so inconsistent. Am gutted its over though, what am I going to do with my Tuesday evenings now?!

·
Registered
23,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ooh I missed it this time around. Have watched it in the past shows. Are you a bit of a cook then Mogs?
I love watching but am not a confident baker although I do have a go. I've been slowly working up to proper cakes and have conquered cookies, mince pies (my OH's work mates request them every Xmas so they can't be too bad), muffins, cupcakes, fruit loaf and a lemon loaf.

I cleaned my oven at the weekend so it is all good to go for my next attempt!!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I love watching but am not a confident baker although I do have a go. I've been slowly working up to proper cakes and have conquered cookies, mince pies (my OH's work mates request them every Xmas so they can't be too bad), muffins, cupcakes, fruit loaf and a lemon loaf.

I cleaned my oven at the weekend so it is all good to go for my next attempt!!! :thumbup:
I love baking too. Can't beat home baking. Your's must be lovely if your getting requests hun.

·
Registered
23,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I love baking too. Can't beat home baking. Your's must be lovely if your getting requests hun.
:lol: Nah!!! They're blokes!!! They'll eat anything!!!!! :D :D :D

I've got a stack of baking books - I got the British Bake Off from last season & a Mary Berry for Christmas last year but haven't yet tried anything from them. :eek:

The good thing about watching the programmes is you can 'see' them doing things so you then know 'how' to do something and also you pick up cracking tips to make it easier.

We also like the Hairy Bikers although they cover more than just baking. Which is not a problem if your OH is NOT the fussiest eater this side of the equator!!!! :mad:

Now I know you do baking, I'll be picking your brains for help. :w00t: :D

·
Registered
9,911 Posts
I was really quite pleased that John won as his family seemed so dismissive of him at the beginning going on about how he has never won anything in a very put downish way, but his Cake looked amazing, I think James was good all the way through too, but it was very true what they said about Brendon in that he was very good at all the things he practised at home but when it came to the skill test bit he wasn't that good.

·
Registered
16,428 Posts
I was really quite pleased that John won as his family seemed so dismissive of him at the beginning going on about how he has never won anything in a very put downish way, but his Cake looked amazing, I think James was good all the way through too, but it was very true what they said about Brendon in that he was very good at all the things he practised at home but when it came to the skill test bit he wasn't that good.
I sort of agree with that & he wasn't very experimental but .... he was consistantly good throughout. I also found it quite sweet when he got really choked up about how much it menat to him. I still think he should have won

Am really pleased for John though as I he did start to get more confident in his ability & was so lovely.

I am quite sad it's all over now, I really enjoyed that series. My OH will be pleased though as I can't help making 'oooh' noises when they show all the gorgeous cakes :eek:

·
Registered
23,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Love that programme so sad its finished!

Hairy Bikers too - Mogs have you got their Perfect Pies cookbook?
No I haven't...... Is that a recommendation? :D

I did get my recipe for Bara Brith from a HB - Mums know Best show. I love it - it is TOTALLY idiot proof!! :D It is also fat-free. Not sugar free but at least it's half-way there!!!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,036 Posts
No I haven't...... Is that a recommendation? :D

I did get my recipe for Bara Brith from a HB - Mums know Best show. I love it - it is TOTALLY idiot proof!! :D It is also fat-free. Not sugar free but at least it's half-way there!!!! :thumbsup:
I like their pie book anyway! If you have a sweet tooth the treacle tart is yum apparently (I don't, but make it for my mum and sister and they love it). Its not just pastry pies, I made the cottage pie the other week and it was the tastiest I have ever made if I may say so myself :eek: The Bakewell Tart is to die for too, I took some to work and one lady did not believe I had made it, cheeky mare!

·
Registered
7,036 Posts
Sorry to barge in but I have to second that recommendation, love the book and their others :D
Feel free to barge away :D I do have tons of cookbooks but think that is one of my favs, everything I have made has turned out well and its not full of all sorts of weird ingredients that you can only get from the top of a mountain in Tibet!

The Gordon Ramsey Great British Pub Food has some nice recipes too but I still prefer the Hairy Bikers one

·
Registered
23,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry to barge in but I have to second that recommendation, love the book and their others :D
Hey, you barge in all you like love - the more the merrier!!! :D

Doodles - I think that book will be going on the Christmas wish-list now. I'm liking the sound of that treacle tart. :yesnod: I'd better stick some baking beans on there too..... :rolleyes: Haven't yet got any of those but I do keeping eyeing them up. Haven't been brave enough, thus far, to go for a blind bake....... :eek:

I do have my own special Cottage Pie recipe that the OH is extremely fond of so I'll be sticking to that I think. :D

·
Registered
9,911 Posts
Are you not meant to smoother Bara Brith with a generous amount of Butter or does the fat not count if it's added after *MM wonders why she a hefty porker* :D

·
Registered
23,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Are you not meant to smoother Bara Brith with a generous amount of Butter or does the fat not count if it's added after *MM wonders why she a hefty porker* :D
Some like butter but I actually prefer jam on mine. More sugar...... :rolleyes:

If warmed up, it is quite tasty on its own.

Or with a BIG dollop of custard......

Or Cream......

Or Ice-cream.......

Oh krap - I'm hungry now!!!! :eek:

:D :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.