Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Greasy fur?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by catz4m8z, Jun 26, 2009.

1. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

My friend has been cat sitting her brothers 2 cats recently and has noticed that one has really greasy fur, actually stuck together on her tummy. She bathed the cat in case that was the problem but it was greasy again a couple of days later.
    Apparently they are not bathed to frequently, are fed on Whiskas moist food and the other cat doesnt experience this problem.
    Any ideas folks? No other information available tho as her bro dropped the cats off when she was out and she has only just been able to contact him to find out their names!!:eek::mad:

2. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

wow, nobody has any ideas then?
    My friend will be soooo disappointed, I keep telling her how wonderful these forums are!!:D

3. lauren001

lauren001 PetForums VIP

Greasy fur often means the cat is not cleaning itself for some reason.
    If it is patchy then the cat may be for instance arthritic and not able to reach certain areas, if the fur is generally greasy then it is probably ill, either way I think it should probably see a vet to get checked over.

4. animalia

animalia PetForums Member

If the cat is on Whiskas it's possible it might need a dental, this can sometimes cause the coat to go sticky or greasy. Does this cat go outside? Is it possible it's picking something up under a car? Some cats like to seek shelter under cars as well. Arthritic problems are less likely to be honest. But please do check in with a vets when you can. I can't offer you anymore advice with out more details about the cat. Hope this is helpful to you.

Mia

5. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Thanks. I dont think its dental, that was my first thought but my friend says the cats teeth are fine. Also they are both under 2yrs and very active so arthritis is unlikely.
    We will have to see if her brother will arrange a vet visit for the kitty. Not very likely tho as he didnt even bother leaving any food with them!!

6. Gobaith

Gobaith PetForums VIP

Some pets, like humans, naturally have oily skin. If they are not bathed regularly, they get greasy coats
    In addition, pets with a condition called seborrhea can produce tremendous amounts of skin oil, which can result in sores and patches of missing fur as well as a greasy coat.
    Dogs and cats will sometimes get greasy coats when they have fleas, mites, or even allergies.

Chloe x

7. Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie PetForums Member

I have a couple of thoughts...

Is the cat overweight? If so, sometimes they are unable to groom certain areas well and they can get greasy.

A change in coat quality can also sometimes mean that there is an underlying medical condition. If the immune system is concentrating on something else then the coat often suffers. Many cats with diabetes will have a greasy coat.

Is the greasy area only on the belly? If so, this is really unusual. I would wonder if the cat is lying in something that is causing this.

Hope that helps!
    Dr. Marie.
    Online Veterinary Advice

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice