Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Grass mites

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Cecil*, Jun 24, 2021.

1. Cecil*

Cecil* PetForums Newbie

I’ve got horses and know that the fields around us have grass mites in summer.
    It’s not normally a problem for my old dog as she refuses to go in the fields anyway!
    My new puppy however is out there a lot and has started getting itchy. I have bought some new food incase it’s related but the horses have started itching too so it’s probably the arrival of the grass mites again.
    Has anyone got any tips, best products etc? I know Frontline is supposed to be good but wondered if a spot on type treatment may work? He loves running round out there and I don’t really want to stop it.

2. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Advantix should help, as it repels ticks and mites as well as killing them if they do bite; better to keep them off in the first place.
    It's prescription only.
    Also bear in mind that running through long grass can lead to stuck grass seeds between toes or in ears, scrapes against eyes.

Cecil* likes this.
  3. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

my dogs used to get very itchy with hay mites. I used a spot on from the vets, it was not advantix but someone would have to suggest the name before I could tell you what it was. It worked very well. oh maybe it was Advocate.

Cecil* likes this.
  4. Cecil*

Cecil* PetForums Newbie

Thanks both.
    I hadn’t thought of the seeds being a problem aswell. Having an ancient dog that prefers the sofa is very hassle free
    The grass to be fair won’t stay long for long! It’s a small paddock and the horses will eat it down fast. The mites remain an issue til Autumn though unfortunately.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice