Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

GRAPHIC blood loss after birth is it normal, photos attached

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Pugalovin, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Pugalovin

Pugalovin PetForums Newbie

On 7/11/19 day 60 my pug whelped 7 puppies who all came kicking and crying straight to teat. Big strong babies. We only Expected 4. Very pleased. First pup arrived at 3.28pm and the last at 12.28am However with each puppy, a placenta didn't always pass. They did pass occasionally during the process and we counted 6 by 2am..the next day mum passed the 7th in the afternoon. She ate them all and had no issues. I'm assuming as she's raw fed. Anyway my concern is the bleeding. It went through the process of greeny/black the first day, but today it's gone to red and by this evening seems slightly heavier and more consistent. Quite thick and stringy. Mums appetite hasn't increased as it did pre pregnancy. She was my eating machine but she's more of a nibble now. Only way to get her to drink is diluted goats milk. I have pictures of the blood for advice , and pups for cuteness. Please advise, we rang vet regarding issues yesterday and they didn't seem concerned. I would like an opinion from experience breeders if you could I'd really appreciate it Screenshot_20191109-210152.png Screenshot_20191109-210159.png Screenshot_20191109-211739.png Screenshot_20191109-211751.png Screenshot_20191109-211815.png

Attached Files:

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

I never had a bitch bleed that way after delivery.

If the blood loss becomes heavier, or hasn't stopped by Monday morning, I would insist she's seen by your Vet.

It isn't unusual for a bitch to be reluctant to eat for a few days after delivery, but, other than that, does your bitch seem unwell?

3. Pugalovin

She's very tired if anything. We've gotten her to drink clean water this evening she's lapping it up. She's eaten a ducks neck just now so appetite looking hopeful. I will say, she doesn't leave blood behind her when walking but when sitting down and nursing it seems to do what's pictured? I was going to take her on Monday if this continues, absolutely agree. The vets don't recommend us seeing them until six weeks as they don't want to disturb mum and pups. I will certainly insist as she's my baby, and means everything to me. She's alot quieter in herself and sleeping loads, but tidies babies bums and is very protective toward them if any of our other animals try and sneak a look we keep her shut in with us 24/7 away from other pets.

4. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

It would be expected that she's a little tired right now.

Watch her closely over the next couple of days and, if the blood loss does not stop, take her to your Vet.

Her appetite should improve over the coming days.

niamh123 likes this.
  5. Pugalovin

Thanks all. It seemed to have stopped the last day or so and went to clear with blood, to generally light spotting. Today it came back to how it was pictured, had a little pant and then it passed and has gone very light again. Vet doesn't seem overly concerned either so I'll just keep watching for now.

6. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

I wouldn't wait too long if the loss continues.

It isn't normal this long post whelping.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice