Grants Available in UK

Discussion in 'Assistance Dogs' started by Catsdotcom, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Catsdotcom

Catsdotcom PetForums Junior

Hello all,

Does anyone know if there are any charities that will financially support the purchase of an assistance dog for the purpose of someone who is registered disabled and suffers with mental health issues?

Your thoughts very much appreciated,

Regards
    Lee

2. Montymoodog

Montymoodog PetForums Newbie

I think the charities that train the dogs would be concerned about someone's ability to care financially for the animal in the long term. You have to be able to pay for food, worming and flea treatment on a regular basis and have the excess for insurance (usually around £100) in case of emergency treatment. If that isn't possible without relying on other charities, I dont think it advisable to have a dog.

3. Catsdotcom

Catsdotcom PetForums Junior

Wow, your comments are pretty presumptuous to say the least! How on earth do you know what is affordable?

A fully trained assistance dog costs approximately 6k + that would be for a private purchase. Slightly out of the norm for the purchase of a dog, hence my question on here. That gives you absolutely no indication as to the ability to financially support long term!

4. Montymoodog

Montymoodog PetForums Newbie

I'm speaking from 20 years' experience of having an ADUK trained and registered
    assistance dog. I'm also talking about applying to the registered training charities for a dog, and how much they expect you to contribute financially to its wellbeing over the dog's life time. I thought you were enquiring about applying to one of the ADUK run organisations like Canine Partners or Dogs For Good. You did not specify in your post that you wanted to go the private 'owner trained' route.

5. sophiehannah12985

sophiehannah12985 PetForums Newbie

(This thread got aggressive quickly...)

I am also looking for assistance in purchasing an assistance dog in the event that I qualify with my physical and mental health issues, but I haven't been able to find one. ADUK (correct me if I'm wrong) don't at the moment offer support for dogs assisting mental health conditions so it makes sense for them to look tot be privately trained.

If there is a charity that offers help towards the cost I'd also really like to know.

Best of luck!
    Sophie