Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Grandmother killed by 4 dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by shirleystarr, Sep 24, 2013.

1. shirleystarr

shirleystarr PetForums VIP

2. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Ugh, this makes me so angry. This poor woman did NOT have to die. Why were these dogs not seized after they bit the 10 year old? After they bit the 16 year old? After they bit the jogger?! Unbelievable!

I don't understand at all. I thought under UK law if a dog bit a human it had to be reported. At what point did authorities not note a pattern of behavior here?!

Yet a dog who has done nothing can be seized for just looking a certain way? It makes zero sense to me...

3. Staceyxxx

Staceyxxx PetForums VIP

How awful... Why didn't her daughter do something about her dogs?!?!?! Unreal.

4. shirleystarr

I know can't understand why after biting the dogs were not reported this makes me sick to the stomach to be honest

5. WeedySeaDragon

WeedySeaDragon PetForums VIP

It makes no sense if you look at it as legislation intended to actually reduce the number of dog attacks. It makes perfect sense as an exercise in making it look like something is being done when in reality it isn't.

This incident was a perfect example of the utter failure of the DDA as it currently stands. It was a knee jerk piece of legislation brought in as a response to media hysteria.

I reported a dog I felt was HA and not managed safely. I was told there was nothing they could do but they logged it anyway. The same dog went on to bite more three people, hospitalising one, before anything was actually done.

It's utter madness that it takes so long to respond to genuine incidents and yet family pets can be seized and destroyed for merely looking 'dangerous'.

6. Kivasmum

Kivasmum PetForums VIP

Poor, poor woman...an awful way to die. Why did the stupid cow of an owner not do something after her dogs had repeatedly attacked her own children!?!?!? :mad2::mad2: she will now have to live with her mothers death on her conscience, because she is the one to blame!!

7. lostbear

lostbear Bear right at Newcastle . . .

Dear God in Heaven - not another one!

That poor woman - what a horrible death. But I think her daughter and son-in-law should be jailed. These dogs had attacked other animals; they had attacked and bitten the family's CHILDREN - and yet they not only kept them, they allowed them to run loose in their garden! What in hell goes through some people's minds? Do they have no sense whatsoever?

I wouldn't have kept a dog which bit someone (without provocation), and I certainly wouldn't have kept one that had bitten my own child. The woman owner was frightened of one of them herself. And this poor woman died in October, but the dogs weren't destroyed until April

I wonder why anyone would want to keep a pack of dogs like that anyway? Only drug-dealers and people up to good to my suspicious mind.

And again, four dogs spoiled and destroyed because their owners were too stupid and selfish to bring them properly, and two breeds undeservedly get an even worse name.

8. Snoringbear

Snoringbear PetForums VIP

This incident happened last year. The current articles are reporting the outcome of the inquest.

9. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Administrator
    Staff Member

According to the news report the dogs were not destroyed until 6 MONTHS after the attack !!!!! Where were they kept for that 6 months ??

The poor, poor woman,what a hideous, terrifying way to die.

10. Snoringbear

Legal process in obtaining a court order. Were kennelled from what I've read elsewhere.

11. shirleystarr

Makes you wonder why they were put in kennels for 6 months when in my opinion they should have been PTS there and then
    I hope they can live with their conscience know it was their dogs that killed the mother in such a dreadful way

12. lostbear

I'm also pretty shocked that neighbours reported hearing barking and screaming, but no-one even thought to look out of the window and see what was happening.

13. lilythepink

lilythepink PetForums VIP

The warning signs were all there, maybe they thought it wouldn't happen to them?

I would not keep a dog that even threatened my child.or anybody else's, its too late when a bite occurs.

Can't understand why the dogs weren't PTS immediately, never mind waiting 6 months.

Poor woman, poor family. Tragic.

14. ouesi

ouesi Guest

I know...

The media, legislators, they all want to make it sound like these dog attacks are random and unpredictable, that we're surrounded by these "dangerous" dog who one day will "turn" and savage your elderly neighbor.
    Yet over and over and over again in these cases there is a clear pattern of dangerous HUMAN behavior that leads up to the dog killing or badly injuring someone.

This article is long but well worth a read...
    Predicting Dangerous Human Behavior | Dog Star Daily

15. WeedySeaDragon

WeedySeaDragon PetForums VIP

To be fair it could well be that it's only in hindsight that they have either made the connection between the screaming and the barking or thought it was a problem.

There are loads of kids and dogs near where I live and it's common to hear barking or kids shouting and shrieking. It wouldn't occur to me to be forever going to the window to check out what's going on.

Other than calling 999 (from which even a high priority response would take time) there's little anyone could have done. We're a forum of dog lovers and enthusiasts, would any of us feel confident enough to try and intervene in an attack potentially involving four dogs?

Obviously I'm not suggesting people shouldn't bother to call 999 in such situations but I don't think it's fair to criticise the people in question. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and I hope they don't feel too much guilt.

16. Meezey

Meezey Slave to the Black & Tans and the Trundle Bugs.

"The inquest heard the victim's daughter had never trusted one of the bulldogs and had considered having it put down the month before the attack."

and that of course makes it all better............

They should be up for man slaughter.. Plain and simple they knew the dogs had issues, they'd witnessed it themselves and they chose to do nothing about it......

They have to live with this for the rest of their lives... :frown2:

17. lostbear

I hadn't really thought of that. It's just so sad - I doubt if anyone could have saved this lady, but she might not have died abandoned and alone.

18. sskmick

sskmick PetForums VIP

Nothing will bring this lady back, but there definitely needs to be a change in the law on dog ownership. People should have to answer for the actions of their dogs for a start.

I think the dog licence should make a come back, which should state the type/class of dog a person can own and how many. I always compare dogs with vehicles, you might have a driving licence but you need a different one for HGV classes etc..

All owners and dogs should have to undergo an Assessment. If people can't be trusted to be responsible dog owners then the law should now step in before more people are killed through irresponsible dog owners.

I have lived with and owned dogs all my life (50+years), yes there has always been the dog down the street that is vocal and may bite but to kill is a different level of aggression altogether, its as though these dogs have reverted to their wild state and not domesticated.

I can't get my head round why anyone would want to own such aggressive dogs.

That poor lady, what she went through doesn't bear thinking about, and as for the daughter and son-in-law what the hell were they thinking of ignoring their dogs aggression. :mad2:

19. cbrookman

cbrookman PetForums VIP

Doesn't the owner, the daughter, have the right to request they be put to sleep without the need for a court order? If so then it would seem as though the owner wasn't willing to give permission for destruction even though her own mother had been killed.

20. Snoringbear

Yes. From what I recall at the time your latter point was the case.

This Article was published last month. Interesting comment from the owner accused below the article.

Owner whose bull mastiff mauled his ex-mother-in-law to death bids to stop dog being put down - Mirror Online

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice