Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Grandmother at 23!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by CharleyRogan, Mar 31, 2011.

1. CharleyRogan

CharleyRogan PetForums VIP

2. celicababe1986

celicababe1986 PetForums VIP

that is disturbing.

3. piggybaker

piggybaker PetForums VIP

Oh heavens thats terrible.

4. CharleyRogan

CharleyRogan PetForums VIP

My mum was mortified when she was made a grandma at 39!

5. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

Yep disturbing

6. Pets2luv.webs.com

Pets2luv.webs.com PetForums VIP

OMG! I felt young becoming a mum at 23 nevr mind being a nanny. I think its sad that nothing really shocks me anymore :rolleyes:

7. Lavenderb

Lavenderb PetForums VIP

Thats going to be me next month. My oldest son (22) and his gf are due their first baby....I'm 39:blink:

8. DaisytheTT

DaisytheTT PetForums Senior

That is very disturbing :(

9. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

i'd have cried i cried at becoming a Great Aunt at 24 let alone a nan!

10. Heather78

Heather78 PetForums Senior

That's awful, my daughter's 12 and hasn't started noticing boys yet luckily.

11. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

Wow I thought I was a young Granny when my Granddaughter was born and I was 36!

If you read the article both the mother and the daughter married very young so it is obviously their culture to marry and have children when you're very very young.

It's only here in the developed world where we have access to family planning and great healthcare that women can afford to wait until they're in their 30s and 40s to have a baby. In some cultures 35 is ancient!

11 is very young to become a mother by our standards but in their culture you are an adult at that age. There was a 12 year old had a child recently in the UK. I have read about a girl who was pregnant twice before she was 12 (she has sued social services as she was raped in care). It's so tragic :(

12. HelloKittyHannah

HelloKittyHannah PetForums VIP

:eek:

What the heck is wrong with these cultures that allow KIDS to marry and have sex so flipping young?! It's disgusting!

No normal 10 year old is thinking about having sex, it's entirely the culture they're brought up in and it's about time it changed :mad:

Poor kids :(

13. jetsmum

jetsmum PetForums VIP

I think it's really sad. Girls of that age should still be playing with dolls, not having real babies.

14. Jonesey

Jonesey PetForums VIP

I think it's dangerous to have a baby so young and can cause all sorts of problems as their body is still growing. :( The baby is at a higher risk for physical and/or developmental issues as well.

A lot of kids are growing up faster these days though. My own daughter at just 13 is already almost 2" taller than me (I'm 5'4") and has the figure of a 16yr old. She's interested in boys, but not boy crazy thank goodness. She's an excellent student and a really responsible child, but I've already had 'the talk' with her including STD's and teen pregnancy anyway - I want her to be prepared. We watched some of those teen mom shows on MTV together. And I've told her that although I don't want her to have sex I know I can't physically stop her so if she comes to that decision I'll get her the pill plus condoms. Better that than become a grandmother and have her have to give up such a large portion of her growing up years to raising a baby.

And TBH if she were to get pregnant as a teen I would really urge her to get an abortion. I'm pro-choice so I wouldn't force her, but that would be my counsel. I really do believe that life starts at conception and abortion ends that life, but my daughter is more important to me than a potential grandchild and I'm sorry if that sounds harsh. If she gets accidentally pregnant at 25 then it will be a different story.

15. smudgiesmummy

smudgiesmummy PetForums VIP

so very sad, and so very wrong, a child of that age should not be even thinking about having sex

16. Chrissysarah

Chrissysarah PetForums Junior

My daughter is 18 in 27 days, son 14 in July and I am 42 in Sept... I can wait forever to be a gran.... I actually dont want to be one... but obviously if I was then I would love it as I adore kids... but I dont want to be a granny & expected to baby sit etc... Selfish I know !!
    I want my kids to love their teenage years, 20s to find who they are,, I wasnt grown up evven by 30 and I had both of them... ( not sure I grown up yet either !)..
    Daughters best friend had plans for uni etc massive career plans then met a guy just after Christmas ( quite controlling)... now she cancelled Uni,, wants a baby, is engaged ( but cant tell her mum!!!).... and wants to get married soon... ( no job for either of them, no plans for future... its sad!).... She was "this much in love" in Dec with someone else......
    Anyway that is putting my daughter off, she is studying hard and plans to get abroad working asap lol..

Chrissy x

17. Chrissysarah

Chrissysarah PetForums Junior

Jonsey totally agree with you.... physically they are more mature but not ready to carry a baby.... its all so sad....x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice