Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Grain free or not??

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Linda Weasel, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

ADBE6DF8-8C7C-49E8-AB3D-FF75646BB616.jpeg Just found this and thought some people might find it interesting/thought provoking. Don’t feed grain free myself. Sorry don’t know how to do a link.

2. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Admittedly just skimmed the article, but I don't think I agree that the grain free craze stemmed from the human gluten free craze. It was more related to the idea that dogs, as descendants of wolves, need to eat a carnivorous diet, and grains are not meat therefore more meat, less grains = better quality food.

Granted that whole ethos fails to incorporate the very important piece of dog evolution away from wolves that allows dogs to digest and utilize the starch in grains because of the presence of the gene for producing amylase. Something wolves do not have and therefore cannot digest and use starches like dogs can.

I think Bates' dinner tonight would have made a few food fascists twitch if not implode completely. He had some leftover cinnamon oatmeal that OH didn't finish, has been sitting out all day collecting all sorts of fun bacteria I'm sure. In to the oatmeal I mixed in freeze dried raw that I have just because there was a good sale, I wouldn't usually spend that kind of money on dog food. Along with the oatmeal and raw, I added his usual kibble, and some dehydrated beef heart.
    Dogs are mainly scavengers, and I'd say his was a meal worthy of a scavenger :Hilarious:Hilarious

3. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

I'd be interested in how he came to the conclusion that "many people" went grain free due to human diet issues because that isn't my experience.
    I find the article messy at best, especially when he references the possible DCM link without mentioning that an actual study needs to be done to confirm or deny the link.

It seems this dude has just jumped on the bandwagon to scare and confuse the average pet owner :(

lullabydream and O2.0 like this.
  4. danielled

danielled Guest

I went grain free with Buddy because grains make him itchy.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Article is badly thought out bollocks.
    I feed grain free, and do so because one of my dogs (who died a couple of years ago) came to me consistently ill with digestive issues. She had colitis, food ran straight through her and she couldn't keep weight on - I was always having people asking if she was a whippet cross, she was so thin. It may well be part of why her original owners gave her to a rescue. I spent a lot at the vet trying to get her sorted out, even the chicken and rice special food they sold me didn't help. I have some food intolerances myself (dairy protein, cooked tomatoes) so I explored that route, talked to my vet who said it wouldn't be food. I first changed her to a food where the only grain was rice - just thinking of wheat possibly being an issue. I'd worked for years in a natural foods shop so knew many people had issues with it. Ziggy was better, but still not right. We rumbled on for a while, the colitis was getting worse again. I bought a bag of Orijen, did an instant switch based on the thought that if rice was the problem, one more mouthful of food with rice in was one to many, and after battling the colitis for over 5 years, Ziggy was cured overnight. She started doing decent solid poos for the first time.
    I didn't just leave it there. I'm inclined towards proving theories, so would from time to time - until I felt proof was established - allow her to eat things containing grains such as left-over pasta, or the other dog's food at the times I fed them different things. The reactions to it were consistent loose poos and gut-rumbling sounds.
    Yes, dogs do produce amylase, but not at very high levels for the amounts of grains in cheaper foods. And if any element of the food isn't digested well, you just end up picking it up off the grass afterwards, so why buy it in the first place, with VAT on?
    My current 3 dogs are fed grain free, and the extra cost is nothing like what the guy said in the article. It costs just a couple of extra quid per large (14 or 15 kg) bag, and the stuff I buy doesn't contain high levels of legumes which seem to be the link with DCM.

I also think that why there are grains in dog foods in the first place failed to be addressed at all in the article. They are there for the convenience of kibble manufacturers, to make the food stick together, and are cheap.

Lurcherlad, wee man and niamh123 like this.
  6. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

7. wee man

wee man PetForums VIP

10/10 :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D:D:):)

niamh123 likes this.
  8. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I must add that for a so-called scientist to work off the unsubstantiated assumption that people feed dogs grain free because of the human gluten issue is shameful. Did he do any research at all, or just spout off the top of his head?

wee man likes this.
  9. wee man

wee man PetForums VIP

@Burrowzig
    Unfortunately there are too many people with so called "expert" advice, who have no understanding and who have done no constructive research.

10. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

it wouldnt open for me - but I am sure some people are faddy with their dogs in the same way they are for themselves. At the same time some dogs (and some humans) actually need a special diet, whether grain free or something else so surely there is nothing wrong with it being readily available. I am playing with being gluten free at the moment and have been surprised at the range in supermarkets - and shocked at the price. Toffee is not on grain free but she is on Arden Grange which does not have anything in it that upsets her. She can cope with rice and chicken or turkey but not other meats. I hate faddy but sometimes it is necessary. I would say it is more likely that I have wondered if gluten upsets me because of having to manage Toffee's diet.

11. Alfold03

Alfold03 PetForums Junior

tried grain free just because was only food at the shop one weak,
    it just made him really hungry…he acted like I was starving him, so not a happy dog!!

most dog food trends are just false advertising, after talking to vets, companies claiming to have real meat only need about 3% (figures not exact but gives you an idea), and don't get started on the raw food fad - although dogs can stomach it, their poo, fur, face etc. will be crawling with bacteria that can make humans seriously ill.
    sorry about the tangent but important to know!

12. wee man

wee man PetForums VIP

My vet has suggested to me that a low grain/wheat diet would help me, and my diabetic nurse try's soo very hard to get me off of the bread, pasta and cake type products!
    I understand how convenient our modern day kibble are, and that loads of our dogs are doing well on them, there are also loads who are not.
    I would have thought that this guy should have had more time to understand canine creatures, before giving such information.

Of course I may have completely lost the plot here :oops::oops: and may be completely out of order myself :oops:

Burrowzig and niamh123 like this.
  13. Deyas

Deyas PetForums Newbie

I give my 8-year-old rottweiler Oggy grains a couple of times a week along with meat, pumpkin, bread, and apples. and she is pretty fine, strong, playful, and quite big. no issues with health so far. My previous dog was fed in the same way and lived over 18 years. I think, dogs' nutrition should be maximally versatile and balanced.

14. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

So long as you practice good hygiene and don't have a seriously compromised immune system then this is a myth...it is not more dangerous than preparing our own raw food before we cook it ;)
    I don't tend to go around licking dogs so never had an issue with kibble or raw ;)

15. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Is dog licking a thing do you think?

16. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm too scared to type it into google to find out :Nailbiting

lullabydream and Blackadder like this.
  17. Blackadder

Blackadder PetForums VIP

My advice is DON'T!!!

StormyThai and lullabydream like this.
  18. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

How do you know?!?!?

19. Blackadder

Blackadder PetForums VIP

A badly worded search... I can't say I've looked at people the same since :eek:

lullabydream likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice