Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

GPS Collar Cat

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by rasmus persson, Dec 1, 2018.

1. rasmus persson

rasmus persson PetForums Newbie

Hello!

I just recently bought my cat Steven a GPS collar and I am really amazed how great it is. Steven loves to roam and sometimes he dissapearss for days.. Where we live it gets dark very early and I dont like for Steven to be out when he is not seen.

With this GPS I can track him down using my cellphone which is really great. Whenever I get worried I can calm myself down. Cant really put a price on safety.

What are your thoughts on using gps for cats?

(I bought mine from a website called smartgpscollar

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi @rasmus persson and welcome :)

I haven't looked at GPS collars for a while, but when I last did so it seemed it was impossible to track a cat in real time, only to view retrospectively where the cat had been. Which would have been of little use to me, as I already know which area my cat would be in, roughly.

So with this collar you have you are able to track your cat and locate him there and then? How accurate is it? Can it pinpoint his whereabouts to within a couple of square yards for example?

One of my cats goes missing sometimes for a short while, i.e. occasionally he doesn't return for a couple of hours when called. But most of the time on such occasions he is in one of the large gardens in my area, either hunting prey or having a yowling 'stand-off' with one of the local cats. I never know exactly which garden he's in but even if I did I wouldn't be inclined to disturb my neighbours to let me go in and get him.

The other problem is my cat hates wearing collars - he pulled off every safety collar I put on him when he was younger. I'd be concerned he'd pull off a GPS collar and leave it somewhere inaccessible. And aren't these GPS collar attachments quite bulky, even the latest versions?

3. TIGGS1

TIGGS1 PetForums Member

Hi last year I Was watching a programme on cats and it showed one of these collars it seemed bulky ,
    it showed you where the cat been roaming etc but not where it was at a sperfic time maybe they have improved the product since then?
    Personally though I would not put a collar on my cat just as you worry about your cat where he is i would be concerned if somehow his collar got caught in a bush and strangled him and knowing how active and a hunter he is this could be a possibility
    Also Tiggs dont wonder to far usually around the nieghbour hood , food is one main priority of his after a few hours he,s home to be fed , several times he caught prey left it on the doorstep to come in to eat his food so a gps collar would be no good anyway

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice