Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Government supports puppy farms!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Nina, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

I'm sure that I was not the only forum member who added my signature to the 'ban puppy farms petition'. Imagine how incensed I felt to received the following Puppies - epetition response | Number10.gov.uk

I am beginning to despair of human nature, I really am :cursing:

2. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

ooh that makes me well angry!

Have they visited Dogs 4 Us? :cursing:

3. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

I'm not in the slightest bit suprised to read that Nina,it was a very similar response I got when I asked our MP to sign the EDM about puppy farms :mad:

The responsiblity it seems is falling onto the LA who are granting the license for the breeding of dogs,so maybe we should be targeting those authorities who are failing these dogs.

4. davehyde

davehyde Banned

pretty stupid reply really aint it?

whats to say these places are licensed anyway?

if they are cant a legal action be brought against the LA for dereliction of duty?

also if they are licensed surely then an action can be taken with an even greater chance of success.

the LA has a responsibility of care and to sue for dereliction of duty is no small potatoes.

5. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Not surprised at all :mad:

6. rona

rona Guest

I don't see what more the government can do without imposing on legitimate breeders, it is down to the local authorities and the RSPCA to implement the law that the government has given them

7. pommum

pommum PetForums Senior

As everyone else has said not suprised, but there must be somone or something that can help do something to stop such cruel and horrific bredding.

I feel very much for these poor dogs as my breed seem to have become a big hit for them. Which just makes my stomach turn.

take care
    Sarah

8. *WillsTillsBills*

*WillsTillsBills* PetForums Senior

Ummm but who seems to be policing this?? because all I see is that 'puppy farms' seem to be above the law, it frustrates me so much. What stops the people from lying on their records as nobody seems to be doing anything except fos us guys! I feel SO frustrated and angry grrr

9. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

I'm sure they can do something - after all, you have to be licensed if you have more than a certain number of breeding females?

The law needs to delineate the difference between hobby/show breeders and puppy factories, and have more stringent regulations that apply to only those.

However the irish government hugely subsidises puppy farming - ever wondered why 90% of greyhounds are born there, and why so many factory puppies come from there? if they outlaw puppy farms here, then they will just be brought over in their thousands from there. The import/export free-trade regulations between UK and Irish Republic need a good seeing-to first! Putting Eire on the pet passport requirements list would be a good start - it's been known as the 'back door' for importing from Europe a long time.

10. Colsy

Colsy Banned

Grrrrrrr :cursing:

If the government,local authorities,vets,RSPCA and Uncle Tom Cobbly and all pulled together maybe something would get done!

11. *WillsTillsBills*

They shouldn't really give licences to people for 90+ dogs or anywhere near, this would stop puppy farms, as then there wouldn't be big profits in it for them...

12. Johnderondon

Johnderondon PetForums VIP

The single, greatest thing the governemnt could do to put in place a situation where breeders (good and bad) can be monitored is mandatory identification of all dogs before the first transfer of ownership.

Mandatory identification is an essential pre-requisite for any dog control measures.

It would not be unduly onerous from reputable breeders and would immediately expose unlicensed breeders and overbreeding from both commercial kennels or show breeders.

13. *WillsTillsBills*

I completly agree!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice