Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Goverment to allow teachers more powers

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by toria, Mar 26, 2011.

1. toria

toria PetForums Senior

Just heard on the news this morning that new meaasures to allow teachers to not only confiscate kids phones but to be able to read & go through the phones.
    I personally think its crazy! I dont have a problem with my kids phones being confiscated if they are using it in school,i do have a problem with teachers going through it.

My children when they were at school were not allowed to even take their phones to school,they do now they are at college.
    This new measure if it goes through will cause nothing but trouble...it is a invasion of privacy,Parents shouldnt be allowing their children to take mobiles into school unless there is extreme reasons for it,& then they should be telling their kids not to use the phone unless its for a emergency...
    I think it also places teachers in vulnerable situations,i think on the whole it will be met by a certain amount of aggresion....Its another way of goverments Nannying our country...
    Next it will be in the workplace!:nono:

2. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

I wouldnt have a problem with a teacher looking into my kids phones (if they were still kids) i would hope they had nothing to hide at school age and would want to know if there was.

3. toria

toria PetForums Senior

I dont think it's a case of something to hide...its privacy,i wouldnt go through my kids phone/diary etc.

Would you like someone going through your phone/diary/emails?
    Im sure you have nothing to hide...wouldnt you see it as a invasion?

4. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

I don't see the point in needing to go through their phone :confused: surely once the phone has been confiscated, the problem is sorted. No need to look through the phone!

5. haeveymolly

I think its different when its a school child tbh, this is how and when things started going down hill when children was given too many rights.

6. toria

toria PetForums Senior

I agree :)

7. haeveymolly

No i gree with that, but if a teacher found/thought there was a reason to they should be able too, many problems have started, much upset in schools with other pupil texting, texting in school time messages to other children, during break times and the problems been brought into lessons, so if there was an issue related to a pupils phone then yes they should have the right to do so, no consideration for the childs right but consideration for the child on the recieving end, but not just confiscate and look through because they have basically just brought a phone into class.

8. toria

toria PetForums Senior

I agree kids have too many rights i do,but going through personal things IMO is not right.

I teach my kids that if they do things they shouldnt then they have to take the consequences but i think this is a step to far.

I would never invade my kids personal stuff...its shows a lack of respect,& means you dont trust your kids,Maybe im lucky my kids tell me stuff openly,sometimes too openly :D

9. critter

critter PetForums VIP

Hi, I Disagree, how would you feel if the child had been using the phone to cheat in a test or similar?, or worse if there was cyber bullying going on?, phones have no place in school and should be left at home. wayne.

10. Cockerpoo lover

Cockerpoo lover PetForums VIP

I couldn't be a teacher and I am in admiration of those who teach especially at secondary school level.

The teachers have no authority and have been stripped of such a lot that a lot of kids have no respect for them.

They shouldn't be allowed to bring phones to school at all.
    If they need to be contacted urgently or vice-versa then the office phone can be used like it was before mobiles were invented.

Mobiles can cause problems: They are a distraction in lessons, can be used for bullying both by sending messages and kids being bullied because their phone is not the latest. They can be stolen and like Critter said could be used to cheat.

cheekyscrip and critter like this.
  11. critter

critter PetForums VIP

Hi, I strongly agree with all the points that Cockerpoo lover has made and couldn't have put it better myself :thumbup:. wayne.

12. Beagle Mafia

Beagle Mafia Guest

There have been many reports from the NSPCC recently that bullying in school has taken a whole new form...pictures and videos such as the happy slappy vids and cyber bullying has led to many kids calling them for advice. Kids at that age shouldn't have anything to hide...I don't think the teachers are gonna be nicking the phone to pry into messages such as "ere bud wanna go bowlin 2nite as its mint like" or "gr8 lets go shpin @ wkend" I think they'll be more interested in the messages that place vulnerable kids in danger. I have heard many teachers say they fear for jonnys safety but if the phone gave clues to something sinister then it can only be a good thing. I doubt most teachers will understand the teen talk and text language anyway :lol:

Phones have advanced in technology it is possible to upload a sinister video in seconds via WIFI and with the increase in smartphones it paves the way for a new generation of bullying. I believe teachers, police and social workers should be allowed to view phones.

In my mums school she must hand her phone in before she starts work and some teachers locally have had their phones checked. Unfortunately the likes of bullies and evil predators such as Vanessa George ruin things for everyone.

13. haeveymolly

I would like to ask if any of the people that think its wrong to have kids phones checked, this. . . . . if your child had been bullied by text messaging in school and you found out, wanted to prove your childs case and a teacher told you they couldnt look in the other childs phone because of a childs right, would or wouldnt you be thinking of your childs rights and the right to be safe and happy in school. Ime afraid it works both ways.

Ok i havnt got children in school now, but work in a school and see much more than a parent sees and believe me discipline has to be stepped up because many children in schools today are putting up with more than most parents realise, the parents that have children that arnt a problem school, have nothing to hide or fear needs to step back and allow these things to happen whether or not they think its against a childs rights or not, invasion of privacy or not because in the end their children have nothing to fear by this and in the long run will benefit.

14. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Sorry but mobile phones are very important tools to have for lots of kids. Those who get buses home or have to walk home (I'm thinking more secondary school aged) have no way of contacting their parents in between being at home and school on the journey home. People who go missing are tracked by their mobile phone signal so there is no way i could agree with kids not being allowed to take them.

The secondary school I went to said they had to be in lockers and turned off from year 7-11 and in sixth form they didn't tend to mind as long as they were turned off in lesson time. We never had any problems with it that way, if schools do its because of a general lack of respect not mobile phones in general.

ETA: in regard to checking phones I think its a total invasion of privacy and a pretty pointless act. I mean what are they hoping to find?

#14 GoldenShadow, Mar 26, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  15. cheekyscrip

cheekyscrip Pitchfork blaster

At the moment teachers are helpless....and although there are some bad ones..most teachers try and cannnot work well because the discipline is too weak, and if parents do not respond well.. bullies win hands down...parents say - it is school problem..we are not there to control them..teachers say..we cannot punish them really?
    those who want to learn cannot because of the amount of distraction caused by those who come to troll...

I am in a way glad that I am not workingin some of high schools...

And phones should not be brought to school..and yes..teachers should be allowed to monitor the use of school computers and in case of suspicious behaviour - have rights to check...
    say you do not want any one to go through your mobile - please then do not use it in school!!!..

I am afraid phones are abused to that extent that it must be under some control...too many youngsters committed suicide or suffer too seriously to stay in education...too many get hurt ..just look at our threads on bullying...!!!

In my kids' schools - no mobiles - If we need to pass a message - we call or he calls from school..so there is guaranteed access to the phone...

#15 cheekyscrip, Mar 26, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  16. GoldenShadow

Kids will always find a way to bully mobile phones are just another way in which to do this but it wont eliminate the problem, the kids doing the bullying need discipline and don't think if they lose their mobile phone they wont do it, they sure as hell will but you probably have less chance of finding out about it.

17. cheekyscrip

cheekyscrip Pitchfork blaster

Bullies will find way ..true..but why make it easy for them?

..what we can find?..hard evidence that someone was abused..that the victim is telling the truth and the bully is lying!! Even this is a lot!!!

When I worked I had situations when I checked bags and pockets..some teens got stroppy..others told them not to be daft!

I respect privacy and rights and stuff but mostly care about everyones safety!!

by the way..any policeman will tell you - mobile are used to hide drugs..yes, they are!!!..because it is easy and you can always have it in your pocket...and lose it conveniently if any danger!

18. haeveymolly

Lessening childrens right has to be done like it was years ago, the need for this moreso nowadays, i am in no way having a go at working parents, but this is one of the reasons why.
    Yesterday i called into our local tesco before work ten past 8 ish and the head from the local comprehensive was in there watching and moving on around 20 of his pupils, this in my opinion is not the job of a head teacher, but this is how things have moved on now, parents have maybe left for work some hour, hour and half before their child has to leave for school so has no idea what time their child has left for school and as far as they are concernd they have left home with just enough time to go to work yes some have to work then there are those that dont work that couldnt give a dam, so someone has to do the parenting dure in the time the parent is at work or still laid in bed.

This could be seen as an invasion of privacy because they were in there before school time, but it will be the school that takes the complains that their pupils are in tesco at that time in the morning and creating havoc and they were when i went in, these were the ones that he was moving along.
    Tougher discipline is needed now more than ever because there is an obvious lack of parenting thesedays.

19. GoldenShadow

It doesn't make it easy for them :confused:

So what do you want to ban them all from cameras, computers, and x box and anything where they can interact with each other in other ways and cause trouble?

Teachers need to be able to properly deal with bullies, the school I went to never had any problems at all like this because if people bullied they got punished or suspended/expelled and their parents wrath was enough to make them get their act together.

I'd have gone stark raving mad if anyone checked my phone or property when I was at school, not in primary because I wasn't allowed a phone at that age but I would have gone nuts at secondary school its a joke.

Mobile phones making bullying easy? Seriously computers and the internet are like 100 times what any mobile phone can do. Happy slapping was almost non existant where I was and never occured in school anyway. You ban mobile phones, you wont be seeing any 'evidence' because it will be kept at home instead of school :confused:

I've met some idiots in my life, but none have been stupid enough to record happy slapping on school grounds. If its out of school grounds schools can usually do jack sh*t about it anyway sadly.

20. adam87

adam87 PetForums Member

The last few years of school is full of personal secrets, I find this disgusting.
    Once texts have been read by teachers do they tell the parents? If I had a daughter I don't think I'd want to hear my little girl was fingered in the park last week :nono: There are things in high school parents and teachers don't need to know, things which are ordinary parts of growing up!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice